Thread: The REAL Neo Geo OG's: Memories

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The REAL Neo Geo OG's: Memories

For those who were truly around for the golden age of the Neo Geo in the 90's, you know who you are, $280 new home carts, pre-orders through National Console Support, waiting on 'Apollo69' to release that next rom, fresh sprite rips, NGF Flame Wars

What are your BEST memories of the Golden Age?

Mine:

1. Pre-Ordering my MOTW AES at NCSX for $350, it arriving, that new cart smell, plugging it into my AES (cart slot just replaced by !Arcade!), and seeing the beauty that was and is that game on our beloved hardware. SAME memory for Slug 3

2. Amassing a 22 cart home cart collection and eyeing it on the shelf when I got home from classes in my college apartment

3. Watching Fran getting pissed on the forum almost every day, especially the day he went ape thinking I ripped him off on SS4 JPN AES Fran rules. OASIS Forever.

4. Watching Big Bear come up with the idea for Shock Boxes and MAKING it happen, I was an official financial backer I believe for that first run.

5. Watching Tonk buy back and re-sell his collection 23 times

Bonus turkeys and coins for anyone who remembers my old school review site Garg's Neo Geo Temple

Be well all, make your skill ultimate

Lee (garg7)

PS These Kids Today
    Last edited by gargoyle7; 05-09-2019 at 01:13 AM.

Chin's Bartender

The real OGs were on the DHP mailing list

you are SO SO right I was there

Chin's Bartender

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle7 View Post
    you are SO SO right I was there
    As was I. It was a fun group. Even Dion

Shigen's Fitness Trainer

Did you keep your collection of home carts? Or end up moving on?

My oldest OG memory was reading posts from Spaceman Spiff and Red Fox about how to access the FTP drive for FAQs and image files. Other guys like Shawn Holmes, Galen Komatsu, and Scott Fujimoto were pretty active back then. BBH and I were not that active posting.

I had a Ukyo fan page on my website in high school. I honestly don't remember but it's referenced on a SSIII faq that's been around 24 years.

Guys like Deuce and Pedro showed up later, after SSIV arrived, and got really active when Last Blade was released.

Eventually people let on that they were posting more on a yahoo group called Dolphinlordssnkneogeodomain, where I got to learn about people like neojuzam, bobak, and many of the other old tymers here.

I remember around November or December of 1999 when Dion posted to the yahoo group a congratulations thread to Shawn for winning the bid on this site domain.

Back in 1998 I made a pilgrimage to Tsukuba and explored the Neo Geo World. In 1999 I got to check out the Tokyo Bay Neo Geo World.

If I could choose any member to return here, I would pick Blaine. He was a great guy. I know some of you guys would be like "Daisuke Jigen" but that's not possible.

The most surreal thing on this site was that friend of Spike Spiegel's who had the sig pic of a car on fire, captioned "die in flames", who later died in a car accident. That always stood out as a crazy thing to see here.
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken.

Neo Geo Dip Switch wiki page

Quote Originally Posted by SonGohan View Post
    I didn't even talk about how you live in a shack and shit in the fucking forest.
    Quote Originally Posted by SonGohan View Post
    I mean, at least I didn't say your wife should divorce you or comment on your need to play RE while shitting or whatever else was said.

Quote Originally Posted by Niko View Post
    Did you keep your collection of home carts? Or end up moving on?
    SOLD them regrettably, BUT still have my Super Neo 29 Candy and 25 or so carts, including a 161 and 1 slot board

They call him "Mr. Windy". wataru330's Avatar

RIP SNK4EVER

Lt. Laser

Quote Originally Posted by wataru330 View Post
    RIP SNK4EVER
    I used to chat with him and his friend riotoftheblood all the time on AIM back when I was in like 8th grade. Was super sad when he passed, RIP.
    Last edited by Loefye; 05-09-2019 at 11:45 AM.

Lt. Laser

Anyone remember that dude NIGHTSOFSAMHAIN? He would always post crazy shit in the War Room and was semi-insane; I remember way back when he used to type freestyle raps and stuff there.

I used to chat on AIM all the time with him too. lol
    Last edited by Loefye; 05-09-2019 at 11:28 AM.

Old Man

Quote Originally Posted by Loefye View Post
    Anyone remember that dude NIGHTSOFSAMHAIN? He would always post crazy shit in the War Room and was semi-insane; I remember way back when he used to type freestyle raps and stuff there.

I used to chat on AIM all the time with him too. lol
    Wasn't DEVIL_GUI another trouble maker? They were all in a little clique if I remember... before they got banned.

The DHP was great, but I came to it really late on...

From here I miss NSX-T - the exchanges he had with LiquidSnake always kept me amused. Blaine was cool, as were a load of other guys who's user handles escape me now... they've not posted here in many, many years.

Living on the wrong
    side of the Pennines

Buying a system with Fatal Fury and Robo Army in 1992 after saving for what seemed like forever. Picking up every magazine featuring any NeoGeo news and reviews making 'posters' and sticking them on my bedroom wall. Good times.

Last edited by frazer99; 05-09-2019 at 04:39 PM.

Lt. Laser

Quote Originally Posted by Tarma View Post
    Wasn't DEVIL_GUI another trouble maker? They were all in a little clique if I remember... before they got banned.

From here I miss NSX-T - the exchanges he had with LiquidSnake always kept me amused. Blaine was cool, as were a load of other guys who's user handles escape me now... they've not posted here in many, many years.
    I don't remember DEVIL_GUI, but SAMHAIN had a friend named LORD ILLICUS I think... Or something like that.

One member I remember who hasn't posted in a long time though is Forever Sublime. He was a cool dude too, left around the same time as Blaine I think.

OldSkool4Life

Quote Originally Posted by Tarma View Post

Oh yeah! I remember NSX-T and LiquidSnake would have long drawn out battle posts. Those were the days when the War Room was the place to be.

I also remember when more than half the forum was calling out Dion and ChrisR (I think?) over and over about their NeoGeo Freak carts.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle7 View Post
    For those who were truly around for the golden age of the Neo Geo in the 90's, you know who you are, $280 new home carts, pre-orders through National Console Support, waiting on 'Apollo69' to release that next rom, fresh sprite rips, NGF Flame Wars

What are your BEST memories of the Golden Age?
    Pissing away $20 in quarters in 15 minutes playing Metal Slug in my local arcade when it was a new-hot-ticket. I knew from that day on that it would be cost effective to simply own the cab. Years later I settled for a consolized MVS, but the spirit lives on. I will spitefully laugh at how I never have to pay to play ever again.

Crossed Swords Squire

Living here in the UK I only knew one person (not a friend) who had a Neo Geo and I never played on it. I saw articles and screenshots in magazines and I really wanted Nam-1975 and Sam Shodown just from the screenshots alone.

A lot of the opinions on the early games in magazine here weren't that favourable. They had a point because games like Nam-1975, Riding Hero, Top Players Golf didn't exactly push the visuals of the system. A game like F-Zero for the SNES was way more impressive and came on a tiny 4 Meg cart, that cost a lot less. I feel most people forgot about the Neo here while the SNES and Megadrive just took everyone's attention. No one normal could afford 150+ for a game anyway.

I first saw a MVS (4 Slot) cab in 1993. I remember being blown away by the scaling on AOF. I couldn't work out why it wasn't blocky at the time, and of course the big sprites were very impresive.

Haomaru's Blade Shiner

not really an OG since I startet playing and collecting in 2002...

but I do remember buying the likes of Ninja Masters and Magical Drop 3 for approx 250-300$ at Trader in Akihabara in 2003!

I remember a friend's dad owned an AES and being absolutely shocked that we were playing an arcade game in his living room. The console was basically a schoolyard legend where I was from because nobody could afford one. It had a pretty strong impact on me which led me to collecting NGPC and Dreamcast stuff(since it had a lot of the good arcade stuff).

Azu Bla

I had a collection of maybe 20 home carts when I finally sold my system; I knew I was headed for financial ruin when I was paying $200+ for used carts and $300+ for new (Canadian $). Samurai Shodown 2 came out and I let everything go rather than pay for that game. I'm surprised I managed to give it up, and I still have some regret, despite buying a Neo-CD and then MVS setup. I still have my CD and MVS collections, but I have managed to resist the urge to buy an AES again.

The feeling of bringing home a new AES cart, removing the 'Neo Geo' sticker/seal and taking out the massive cart was awesome. It's also difficult to imagine how much better the graphics looked compared to the SNES and Genesis, unless you experienced it first hand. I mean, you can see the difference now, but it was different when the games were state-of-the-art.

Thread Information