Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The REAL Neo Geo OG's: Memories

The REAL Neo Geo OG's: Memories

For those who were truly around for the golden age of the Neo Geo in the 90's, you know who you are, $280 new home carts, pre-orders through National Console Support, waiting on 'Apollo69' to release that next rom, fresh sprite rips, NGF Flame Wars

What are your BEST memories of the Golden Age?

Mine:

1. Pre-Ordering my MOTW AES at NCSX for $350, it arriving, that new cart smell, plugging it into my AES (cart slot just replaced by !Arcade!), and seeing the beauty that was and is that game on our beloved hardware. SAME memory for Slug 3

2. Amassing a 22 cart home cart collection and eyeing it on the shelf when I got home from classes in my college apartment

3. Watching Fran getting pissed on the forum almost every day, especially the day he went ape thinking I ripped him off on SS4 JPN AES Fran rules. OASIS Forever.

4. Watching Big Bear come up with the idea for Shock Boxes and MAKING it happen, I was an official financial backer I believe for that first run.

5. Watching Tonk buy back and re-sell his collection 23 times

Bonus turkeys and coins for anyone who remembers my old school review site Garg's Neo Geo Temple

Be well all, make your skill ultimate

Lee (garg7)

PS These Kids Today
    Last edited by gargoyle7; 05-09-2019 at 12:13 AM.
    I own a Real Battle Action Game

"I Love The Smell of Napalm & Home Carts in The Mornin'"

Bead Banger

The real OGs were on the DHP mailing list
    Slug 2 > Slug X

you are SO SO right I was there

Bead Banger

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle7 View Post
    you are SO SO right I was there
    As was I. It was a fun group. Even Dion
    Slug 2 > Slug X

Lasso Champion

Did you keep your collection of home carts? Or end up moving on?

My oldest OG memory was reading posts from Spaceman Spiff and Red Fox about how to access the FTP drive for FAQs and image files. Other guys like Shawn Holmes, Galen Komatsu, and Scott Fujimoto were pretty active back then. BBH and I were not that active posting.

I had a Ukyo fan page on my website in high school. I honestly don't remember but it's referenced on a SSIII faq that's been around 24 years.

Guys like Deuce and Pedro showed up later, after SSIV arrived, and got really active when Last Blade was released.

Eventually people let on that they were posting more on a yahoo group called Dolphinlordssnkneogeodomain, where I got to learn about people like neojuzam, bobak, and many of the other old tymers here.

I remember around November or December of 1999 when Dion posted to the yahoo group a congratulations thread to Shawn for winning the bid on this site domain.

Back in 1998 I made a pilgrimage to Tsukuba and explored the Neo Geo World. In 1999 I got to check out the Tokyo Bay Neo Geo World.

If I could choose any member to return here, I would pick Blaine. He was a great guy. I know some of you guys would be like "Daisuke Jigen" but that's not possible.

The most surreal thing on this site was that friend of Spike Spiegel's who had the sig pic of a car on fire, captioned "die in flames", who later died in a car accident. That always stood out as a crazy thing to see here.
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken.

Neo Geo Dip Switch wiki page

Quote Originally Posted by SonGohan View Post
    I didn't even talk about how you live in a shack and shit in the fucking forest.
    I mean, at least I didn't say your wife should divorce you or comment on your need to play RE while shitting or whatever else was said.

They call him "Mr. Windy". wataru330's Avatar

RIP SNK4EVER
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Peart View Post
    Innocence gave me confidence, to go up against reality...

Analog_Delivery_System=*when you absolutely, positively,
    must rock every person in the room*

"I don't think your kids should see us playing Joust in this parking lot..."
    -300wins

Lt. Laser

Quote Originally Posted by wataru330 View Post
    RIP SNK4EVER
    I used to chat with him and his friend riotoftheblood all the time on AIM back when I was in like 8th grade. Was super sad when he passed, RIP.
    Last edited by Loefye; 05-09-2019 at 10:45 AM.

Lt. Laser

Anyone remember that dude NIGHTSOFSAMHAIN? He would always post crazy shit in the War Room and was semi-insane; I remember way back when he used to type freestyle raps and stuff there.

I used to chat on AIM all the time with him too. lol
    Last edited by Loefye; 05-09-2019 at 10:28 AM.

Old Man

Quote Originally Posted by Loefye View Post
    Anyone remember that dude NIGHTSOFSAMHAIN? He would always post crazy shit in the War Room and was semi-insane; I remember way back when he used to type freestyle raps and stuff there.

I used to chat on AIM all the time with him too. lol
    Wasn't DEVIL_GUI another trouble maker? They were all in a little clique if I remember... before they got banned.

The DHP was great, but I came to it really late on...

From here I miss NSX-T - the exchanges he had with LiquidSnake always kept me amused. Blaine was cool, as were a load of other guys who's user handles escape me now... they've not posted here in many, many years.
    Bonuskun - "Please young man. You telling me to shut up on an internet forum is about going to have the same effect of trying to tell Tarma that Metal Slug 4 was the best Neo Game ever.

Not going to happen."

Argentina'94 - "Gotta admit, that was the best coffee and cigarette I ever enjoyed with someone who wasn't in front of me. We MUST do this again!"

Peanutbutterjammatime

Living on the wrong
    side of the Pennines

Buying a system with Fatal Fury and Robo Army in 1992 after saving for what seemed like forever. Picking up every magazine featuring any NeoGeo news and reviews making 'posters' and sticking them on my bedroom wall. Good times.

Last edited by frazer99; 05-09-2019 at 03:39 PM.
    Twitter: @NeoGeoCollector
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/NGCollector
    NEOGEO: A Visual History - Official SNK Book: www.neogeobook.co.uk

Other Projects:
    www.neogeocollector.co.uk
    www.supercarwedding.co.uk
    www.fordmustangwedding.co.uk

Lt. Laser

Quote Originally Posted by Tarma View Post
    Wasn't DEVIL_GUI another trouble maker? They were all in a little clique if I remember... before they got banned.

From here I miss NSX-T - the exchanges he had with LiquidSnake always kept me amused. Blaine was cool, as were a load of other guys who's user handles escape me now... they've not posted here in many, many years.
    I don't remember DEVIL_GUI, but SAMHAIN had a friend named LORD ILLICUS I think... Or something like that.

One member I remember who hasn't posted in a long time though is Forever Sublime. He was a cool dude too, left around the same time as Blaine I think.

Lt. Laser

Quote Originally Posted by frazer99 View Post
    Buying a system with Fatal Fury and Robo Army in 1992 after saving for what seemed like forever. Picking up every magazine featuring any NeoGeo news and reviews making 'posters' and sticking them on my bedroom wall. Good times.

This picture is so authentic for the time too as it must have been taken with the world's first camera phone. haha

Nice man.

OldSkool4Life

Quote Originally Posted by Tarma View Post

Oh yeah! I remember NSX-T and LiquidSnake would have long drawn out battle posts. Those were the days when the War Room was the place to be.

I also remember when more than half the forum was calling out Dion and ChrisR (I think?) over and over about their NeoGeo Freak carts.

Dogg-Father

Probably didn’t blink an eye about the RF or composite connection quality.
    _ _ ___________________________ _ _
    People I've delt with:
    |Steve Rhine|Vinh|Jeff Kurtz|Kenny Boy|Big Bear|Fox1|Bones|Kid Aphex|Bluevoodu|Kubikiri Basara|Shawn|Michael Yagami|

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.

Pretty sure I had the same TV as you around that time, but less serial killer-esque wallpaper
    Neo Geo AES #011035 #036442 | Neo Geo CD #0002814 #0015959 | MVS Executive | Razion 1cc Club President | NG.com Top Trader
    ATTN NOOBS: Jamma Nation X makes the best CMVS & Superguns, PERIOD! | Unofficial MVS and AES Price Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by SNKSOUL View Post
    I ask a complete account removal extraction

I ask the deletion authorized by Neo Geo Admin Judge Dredd.

Thanks a lot.

Ninja Combat Warrior

Man I remember when my room was done out like that! Good times!
    Admitedly though it was Sega not Neo Geo plastered across my wall, I was to poor for Neo back in the day

Sad to think though to my knowledge not a single picture exists of my old setup!
    I couldnt afford a camera either LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by Niko View Post
    Did you keep your collection of home carts? Or end up moving on?
    SOLD them regrettably, BUT still have my Super Neo 29 Candy and 25 or so carts, including a 161 and 1 slot board

Kuroko's Training Dummy

What year did the neo geo forums start?

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpingmanjim View Post
    What year did the neo geo forums start?
    DHP -1993/1994 - 200x (pretty much dead by 2001
    Dolphinlords - 1998-2000 (very inactive after 2000)
    NG.C - 2000 - present.

I didn't even talk about how you live in a shack and shit in the fucking forest.
    I mean, at least I didn't say your wife should divorce you or comment on your need to play RE while shitting or whatever else was said.

Bolt Thrower.

I was around at the "golden age of NG" but it's not as if I was able to afford an AES. The arcade scene was non-existent apart from some arcade halls in the main amusement park in Austria. (There were one big arcade hall popping up for a year and vanishing again though)
    Buying an AES wasn't even possible as far as I was concerned, none of the shops I frequented even had one for sale. I saw one of the systems at one single time in London in a shop opposite of Tower records where I bought a Biohazard album on tape. I knew what it was because I bought the Electronic Gaming Monthly magazines from time to time when they popped up at a magazine store who had international ones.

I remember being very intrigued about the fighting games featured in EGM however (Samurai Shodown II, etc.). When realizing you could emulate the stuff on PC in later years I played the shit out of the NeoRage emulator.
    Last edited by BerryTogart; 05-13-2019 at 10:26 AM.
    Berries fighting game quest signature is under development - Completed NeoGeo MVS fighters so far: AoF, AoF2, AoF3, SS, SS2, SS3, SS4, KoF94, KoF95, KoF96, KoF97, KoF98, WH, WH2, WH2Jet, Waku Waku 7, FF, FF2, FFS, FF3, Savage Reign, Kizuna Encounter, Kabuki Klash, Galaxy Fight, Last Blade
    http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showth...59#post3851759

Art of Typing Wiz

<Dion>Thank you Shawn for your parent's money.

Quote Originally Posted by Loefye View Post
    One member I remember who hasn't posted in a long time though is Forever Sublime. He was a cool dude too, left around the same time as Blaine I think.
    ForeverSublime still posts but not that often.

Mai's Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Wasabi View Post
    My oldest OG memory was reading posts from Spaceman Spiff and Red Fox about how to access the FTP drive for FAQs and image files. Other guys like Shawn Holmes, Galen Komatsu, and Scott Fujimoto were pretty active back then. BBH and I were not that active posting.

I had a Ukyo fan page on my website in high school. I honestly don't remember but it's referenced on a SSIII faq that's been around 24 years.

Guys like Deuce and Pedro showed up later, after SSIV arrived, and got really active when Last Blade was released.

Eventually people let on that they were posting more on a yahoo group called Dolphinlordssnkneogeodomain, where I got to learn about people like neojuzam, bobak, and many of the other old tymers here.

I remember around November or December of 1999 when Dion posted to the yahoo group a congratulations thread to Shawn for winning the bid on this site domain.

Back in 1998 I made a pilgrimage to Tsukuba and explored the Neo Geo World. In 1999 I got to check out the Tokyo Bay Neo Geo World.

If I could choose any member to return here, I would pick Blaine. He was a great guy. I know some of you guys would be like "Daisuke Jigen" but that's not possible.

The most surreal thing on this site was that friend of Spike Spiegel's who had the sig pic of a car on fire, captioned "die in flames", who later died in a car accident. That always stood out as a crazy thing to see here.
    No love for me huh? I thought we were bros!

Crossed Swords Squire

Home carts were never $280. Telesaurus had them all basically for $200, and Babbages had games on sale for $100 a pop a lot of the time.

I stopped buying AES games after Samurai Shodown 1 came out censored though. $200 for a censored game. What a joke. The whole point of the Neo Geo was that it was the same as the arcade--not some neutered sack of shit. I can't believe the idiocy that led SNK to do that.

Thread Information