Sega MD / Genesis Arcade Power Stick - modding ideas /advice

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Recently picked up a MD Arcade Power Stick in the three-button non-microswitched stick flavor.

After opening it up and a through cleaning of the contacts on both the stick and buttons and putting some lithium grease on the stick it functions fine for what it is, that said obviously it does not compare to newer arcade sticks.

Has anybody done any mods to the stick which would still preserve its original appearance? Main thing tbh would be to replace the standard stick with a microswitched one - any readily available models which would go in P&P or with some minimal modding? Most arcade joysticks appear far to deep to fit in the enclosure and sourcing the microswitched stick from the JP is pretty much impossible, short of buying the whole arcade stick.

Perhaps it would be possible to replace the original rubber dome things with microswitches but this would be pretty tedious trial and error exercise unless somebody already knows which switches work and last over time.

arbormatt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
Recently picked up a MD Arcade Power Stick in the three-button non-microswitched stick flavor.

After opening it up and a through cleaning of the contacts on both the stick and buttons and putting some lithium grease on the stick it functions fine for what it is, that said obviously it does not compare to newer arcade sticks.

Has anybody done any mods to the stick which would still preserve its original appearance? Main thing tbh would be to replace the standard stick with a microswitched one - any readily available models which would go in P&P or with some minimal modding? Most arcade joysticks appear far to deep to fit in the enclosure and sourcing the microswitched stick from the JP is pretty much impossible, short of buying the whole arcade stick.

Perhaps it would be possible to replace the original rubber dome things with microswitches but this would be pretty tedious trial and error exercise unless somebody already knows which switches work and last over time.

I have both the japanese micro switched version and the american. Can’t tell much difference to be honest. Spent copious amounts of time cleaning and making sure everything is perfect.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I have both the japanese micro switched version and the american. Can’t tell much difference to be honest. Spent copious amounts of time cleaning and making sure everything is perfect.

What I have found with this stick is that it needs to be cleaned regularly to ensure its working 100%. Initially when I got it it was squeaky and unresponsive especially on the diagonals, but cleaning the contacts and rubber dome things and putting some lithium grease on the stick resolves this - at least for a while. Still looking at whether adding microswitches is feasible - would be cool if we could be able to 3D print the original Sega microswitch assembly holder thing to upgrade the standard non microswitched versions.