MAKING designer custom etched aluminum controllers

nemozero

n00b
20190506_211316.jpg

been working on these for awhile.wanted to make something unique,i was thinking of making a run of these if anyone is interested

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
what's going in the other hole? (that's what she said...)

needs a price point too...

nemozero

n00b
oh dear very good.;);)thats where joystick comes out of its quite abit of work.depends on how many i could make.dont think they would be overly dear.got few more things to do.anodizing then etch so they gonna look pretty cool when finished
was thinking of neo game art names what do people think

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Is this your only design? having those buttons bunched together like that is very un-neo geo like for a joystick controller.

nemozero

n00b
yes its mine wanted to make something different will have more picks as more gets done ,its much bigger than a standard controller.using sanwa parts so should be robust

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
So... it's for pissing in? I pee in this while playing Neo Geo instead of going to the bathroom? I guess it could be useful for those score-attack runs.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I like the idea, seems different but interesting the way you have approached this.

It is hard for me to determine the overall size of the controller based on the one picture - could you post more pictures at all?

having those buttons bunched together like that is very un-neo geo like for a joystick controller.

This would be my concern. I am also worried about surface rust since I live in a high humidity part of the world, near the sea.
Still, I am intrigued :)

nemozero

n00b
once i get more done and the coating is on,they wont rust,gonna look lovely will be more pictures coming i promise.

J-P

NEST Puppet
These look pretty nice in design. Not entirely for me though, I've never liked the Neo Pad layout (on sticks anyway). I'm a strict '4 buttons in a line' guy... that or 'low Kick, and then all the punches' (on a six-button setup) with a dropped A (low kick). When playing on a saturn pad, I even play A,X,Y,Z.

Also with regard to the stick itself, I tend to prefer Seimitsu (LS-32 or 56). There are ways to make your base plate (top plate) be compatible with multiple different models of stick - you do also have to be careful with the final mounting height (as that laregely effects the 'throw').

It's an interesting project though, and I look foward to seeing where it goes. If you are doing a coating, will you offer various finishes? Most shops that do powdercoating will be able to offer finishes like 'sandtex' which can look pretty great imho; anodizing tends to look like crap and also easily scratches.

Last edited:

nemozero

n00b
im thinking of making different shapes,could make them to ordered any ideas.button layout.makes of joystick etc is welcome

Rick Dangerous

Quiz Detective
Nice! I can see the picture finally... sharp. I'd put the buttons all in a row for a more traditional joystick style...

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Not a fan of the design. It looks like a hospital bedpan to me. What other shapes you working on?

nemozero

n00b
started off as 2 circles looked to much like boobs lol.got 2 squares offset just working on cad model now..can do buttons in a row,its getting all the bits i need to complete them thats taking time.but theres a fair bit of work in them.

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
I would be interested if they were more in-line with official NeoGeo sticks. The 4 button pad layout on a stick feels limiting, and at that point I would rather it was a traditional 6 or 8 button stick then I could use it for stuff other than just NeoGeo (because if I was going to buy a milled aluminum stick, i'd want to use it for everything). Never been a fan of the bean shape, rectangular/square feels more stable and looks better I feel. I would also prefer start and select buttons up above the other buttons where there is no chance to accidentally hit them.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
So... it's for pissing in? I pee in this while playing Neo Geo instead of going to the bathroom? I guess it could be useful for those score-attack runs.

A joystick that converts into a bedpan. I might have a use for that.

LonelyWarbler

Crazed MVS Addict
I applaud your effort. It's not something I would be interested in. The design looks like it needs a few more revisions.

nemozero

n00b
just a small update controller are back from coating here is a pic of controller with etch...enjoy;)smaller.jpg

nemozero

n00b
its black anodize got a friend to do it,hence the waiting time.the idea was to make controllers with peoples designs or names etc

J-P

NEST Puppet
Part controller part bludgeoning weapon. How much does this puppy weigh in at?

I like it though, it's an odd shape, would have to play with it to see if it feels too cramped.

If it were me, I'd do a powdercoat (or better, a polymer coating) then paint-fill the lasered engravings. That's a bit of extra workload though.

nemozero

n00b
good idea about coating it just bumps the price up theres a fair bit of work in these already.i reckon be about 1.5kg with all the bits in cable etc