Looking For More Info On Super Neo 29 Wiring and Switchboard

FPJ

n00b
We got a couple Super Neo 29s (the kind with the LCDs) and they came with one-slots in them (MV-1FZs specifically). The issue I am running into is some confusing information online regarding the cabinets and I was hoping somebody here could help clear it up.

I thought the Neo 29s were wired fro MVS, but one-slots are JAMMA. From what I can find there's a regular Neo 29 that is MVS and the Super Neo 29 is JAMMA? Is that correct? If so, I'm confused because I thought they were designed to take 2 and 4 slots which are wired for MVS. The only manual I could find was for the Super Neo 29 "Candy" and that does show diagrams only of one-slots.

Real quick, just to double-check I have this correct, one-slots can't be run in a cabinet wired for MVS except the MV-1F because it has a switch to change it to stereo. Is that right?

One last thing, does anybody know about the switchboard at the back of the Super Neo 29. It seems to mostly relate to the LCD and I believe it is also for linking cabinets, but since I can not read Japanese, I do not know what any of the switches do. I don't even see it in the manual. Does anybody have any more info on it?

I've included a picture of the cabinet and switchboard.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• 20190506_155508b.jpg
    20190506_155508b.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 20190506_155821b.jpg
    20190506_155821b.jpg
    484.1 KB · Views: 53

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
I'll look into to this as well but for now you can use the google translate app to read that writing for the LCD. Just use the camera function.

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
You should be able to wire the speakers this way and get "stereo" (more like dual mono) and of course go into the sound test and double check that you get separate left and right and an audible center channel which would be both speakers on.
View attachment mvssound.bmp

Last edited:

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
Light blue: External input board assy (assembly) 1P how to operate
Gray: The left The Center The right
Red: Video in the game
Video<-->Game<-->Camera
Yellow: Video during the demo
Video<-->Game<-->Camera
Blue: Display switching time
30 seconds<-->15 seconds
Purple: Display switching trigger
A button . lever <--> coin input
Green: Match settings
"battlecase" <--> single body | pretty sure this is for connected cabinets or single
Pink: Video input
At the time of relay<--> at the end
Black: Display switching time fine adjustment
Clock wise rotation makes time faster
20190506_155508b_LI.jpg

Last edited:

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
BTW in the neo geo 29 candy manual it specifically says that if you have a board like the neo geo MV1FZ (which it mentioned) you can use it as is with the JAMMA edge. They probably would wire them like a normal set of speakers just with monaural sound

The difference between MVS and Jamma is really only that Jamma was mono (after 1990 some boards made use of other pins for stereo) and MVS wiring is mono plus some extra buttons. Here is a diagram that should point out the differences more clearly. All in all, it is totally fine and possible to play a 1 slot MVS board in this cab as everything can be modified to work properly. Plus Hard Candy says that the Super Neo Geo 29 was wired for MVS by default.
jamma pinout.jpg

Last edited:

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
I thought the Neo 29s were wired fro MVS, but one-slots are JAMMA. From what I can find there's a regular Neo 29 that is MVS and the Super Neo 29 is JAMMA? Is that correct? If so, I'm confused because I thought they were designed to take 2 and 4 slots which are wired for MVS.

Hard Candy's site says that the Super Neo Geo 29 was wired for MVS by default and I read somewhere else that there was usually only an MV1F or other 1 slot board in these guys. Btw you seem to have a more rare version with the lcd and well, kudos to you!

FPJ

n00b
Yeah, I have the translation app, but it's kind of iffy sometimes and can be hard to parse so I figured I'd check and see if anybody had any more info. I figured it probably revolved around the LCD. I'll have to look into it at some point because we considered linking them and having the small screen set to show the camera shot of the other player.

I figured the MV-1F could run off both MVS and JAMMA, I didn't know the 1FZ could too. That's good to know. I had read that it was wired for MVS but was confused by a 1FZ being in it. If it's already MVs then that's good.

Thanks for the info!

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
No problem! I think having the LCD's have the opponents face is absolutely genius and I would love to see that hahah

FPJ

n00b
As far as I know, they were actually designed to be able to do that from factory. There's a little camera next to the screen. You can just barely see it in the picture, it blends in because it's in the black part of the graphic to the left of the screen. There's a little hole cut in the graphic there with a camera behind it. That first or second switch is probably how you change the feed to the camera.

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
Oh that's super neat. Yeah it looks like the Red row needs to be in the "right" position to feed the camera during game play and the Yellow row is for during the attract/demo screen