Reproduction Card reader kits from the guy that makes the led marquee.

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
So I’ve tested 2 questionable MV-IC boards and neither work with my “open source” memory card.

fd7dde3932e736dd23096c9328ebf517.jpg

I’ve ordered a known working original memory card to test. If that fails then it’s either my MV-IC, cables or my MVS board. I’m hoping the card comes in soon if I need your board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
So I’ve tested 2 questionable MV-IC boards and neither work with my “open source” memory card.

fd7dde3932e736dd23096c9328ebf517.jpg

I’ve ordered a known working original memory card to test. If that fails then it’s either my MV-IC, cables or my MVS board. I’m hoping the card comes in soon if I need your board.

HI, can you tell me what happens with it, do you get any error at start up ?
I have tried the original neo geo cards, the NVRAM card from japangameonline and I know someone who tested my board with another popular one that looks like yours (firtek ?). All three work, but he had trouble on his 4 slot because 3 chips on his MVS are bad and had to replaced them. He has a video on the way I think wednesday.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I just wanted to chime in that these look really sweet, leejsmith. Good luck with it.

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
HI, can you tell me what happens with it, do you get any error at start up ?

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?278218-Memory-card-causing-MVS-to-short-out

I did a thread on it but TLDR; with a card inserted UNIBIOS gives a memory card error with the card inserted. If I bypass it and try to format it in the memory card manager it says the card is write protected. I have seen some other thread that had a similar problem with a broke trace, but I’m hoping it’s just a bad card or MV-IC. Just a process of elimination I guess.

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?278218-Memory-card-causing-MVS-to-short-out

I did a thread on it but TLDR; with a card inserted UNIBIOS gives a memory card error with the card inserted. If I bypass it and try to format it in the memory card manager it says the card is write protected. I have seen some other thread that had a similar problem with a broke trace, but I’m hoping it’s just a bad card or MV-IC. Just a process of elimination I guess.

The MV-IC are quite simple so it could be damaged connectors especially on the PCMCIA socket. Damaged leads from the MVS or they are the wrong way around on one side and some problem with the MVS like bad solder joints on the connectors or some logic problem. The one of my friends was the 75HT245 chips that control the address data. In my testing I had all sorts of problems so I think I know most of the problems. If it's knows you have a card and it says write protect this is a problem with data or address lines and when the MVS tried to get data from the card the sram is not in the correct state and sticks the data lines down just like it should when the card is not inserted to stop corruption.

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
The MV-IC are quite simple so it could be damaged connectors especially on the PCMCIA socket. Damaged leads from the MVS or they are the wrong way around on one side and some problem with the MVS like bad solder joints on the connectors or some logic problem. The one of my friends was the 75HT245 chips that control the address data. In my testing I had all sorts of problems so I think I know most of the problems. If it's knows you have a card and it says write protect this is a problem with data or address lines and when the MVS tried to get data from the card the sram is not in the correct state and sticks the data lines down just like it should when the card is not inserted to stop corruption.

Interesting, would the output from the unibios error help?

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Ok, I appreciate your expertise. I’ll try the new card when it comes in. If it also doesn’t work, which part should I try next? Replace the MV-IC or MVS board?

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
Ok, I appreciate your expertise. I’ll try the new card when it comes in. If it also doesn’t work, which part should I try next? Replace the MV-IC or MVS board?

before that you want to check for damaged connectors, leads and if possible continuity test from the MVS to the MV-IC

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I have 2 MV-ICs, one of which had a bunch of bent and broken pins. I got another board with good pins, but was filthy and probably not well cared for. So I consider both to be very questionable at best.

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Thanks for the help, I just got my original memory card and it works fine. Looks like mine was a bad card.

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
Hi All, I am currently going through final testing on two save game options. I have a NVRAM module and a PCMCIA module that can be plugged directly into the MVS4 and MVS6 slot systems so no leads like on the MV-IC. Testing is going well so I was looking at get some interest in these along with the reproduction MV-IC. Both of these need a card enable board to trick the MVS into knowing the card is inserted. Price for the PCMCIA + enable board is £18 (does not include the actual save game card) and the price for the 16kib NVRAM + enable is £25. I only have the prototypes so I was thinking of doing pre sales, what do you think ?

IMG_0027.JPG

dj-ad

n00b
I’m quite new to all these stuffs and cannot really find any information on this but is there any way to add memory card support to an mv-1b mvs ?
I’m not afraid about soldering, i just can’t find any pinout schematic on where to solder cables nor how many cable i’ll need...

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
I’m quite new to all these stuffs and cannot really find any information on this but is there any way to add memory card support to an mv-1b mvs ?
I’m not afraid about soldering, i just can’t find any pinout schematic on where to solder cables nor how many cable i’ll need...

Sorry I do not know the answer, but I think it's no. It would need a new bios to add the save game function before the actua socket would work so take a look at the NeoBiosMasta first.

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
I have added two new save game options to my shop.

IMG_0008.JPG
Allows you to insert a PCMCIA card directly into the MVS and does not need the MV-IC and cables

IMG_0009.JPG
16kbit NVRAM module that can be swapped over to expand storgage.

Both come with card enable boards.

http://www.neogeoleedmarquee.info/shop

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
EDIT: Nevermind, I'm going to bother.

Last edited:

DeWitt

n00b
Hi,

is it okay when I disable/unplug the card while the MVS is running? It should be okay right, in the past you had not the possibility to power down the cab inside an arcade!?

Thank you!

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
Hi,

is it okay when I disable/unplug the card while the MVS is running? It should be okay right, in the past you had not the possibility to power down the cab inside an arcade!?

Thank you!

yes it only uses it when asked to load or save a game

DeWitt

n00b
Alright, thank you very much! I thought so, but I wasn't 100% sure. Now I can safely unplug it!

DeWitt

n00b
I have an other question if it's okay. I have a PCMCIA card which I inserted directly into my MVS. I also connected a headphone jack via the 4 pins as described here:
http://www.porlzilla.com/2012/06/homemade-neo-geo-mvs-stereo-cable.html

When I insert headphones into the jack the cab sound volume stays the same. Is this normal? I like to only listen to the sound via headphones. Is this possible and how? Yes I know I can turn the volume down but not two zero.

dj-ad

n00b
Yes, plugging the headphone to the jack connected to the 4 pin connector won’t turn off the cabinet output.
If you want to do it that way, you need to wire a headphone socket directly to the stereo output from the jamma side using a switch headphone connector. And from the jack connector, you go to the speakers.
When you plug a headphone, it will switch off the lead to the speakers and will only hear from the headphone.
If nothing is plugged, the lead is going to the speakers and the sound is normally output.

You can read here
https://www.cuidevices.com/blog/understanding-audio-jack-switches-and-schematics

Explicit example wiring can be found here (ignore the volume wheel resistor)
https://i.imgur.com/BCG2oVJ.jpg

Last edited: