Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reproduction Card reader kits from the guy that makes the led marquee.

Cham Cham's Banana

IMG_0010.jpg

I have 6 of my prototypes fully working and for sale on my site, you can find original leads or I can make them for you.
    http://www.neogeoledmarquee.info/pro...ry/cardreader/

Lazy SNK Employee

So Iíve tested 2 questionable MV-IC boards and neither work with my ďopen sourceĒ memory card.

Iíve ordered a known working original memory card to test. If that fails then itís either my MV-IC, cables or my MVS board. Iím hoping the card comes in soon if I need your board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Arcade: Capcom Big Blue - 2nd Gen NQS | Atari Family MVS conversion

Cham Cham's Banana

Quote Originally Posted by DuffCon View Post
    So I’ve tested 2 questionable MV-IC boards and neither work with my “open source” memory card.

I’ve ordered a known working original memory card to test. If that fails then it’s either my MV-IC, cables or my MVS board. I’m hoping the card comes in soon if I need your board.

HI, can you tell me what happens with it, do you get any error at start up ?
    I have tried the original neo geo cards, the NVRAM card from japangameonline and I know someone who tested my board with another popular one that looks like yours (firtek ?). All three work, but he had trouble on his 4 slot because 3 chips on his MVS are bad and had to replaced them. He has a video on the way I think wednesday.

I just wanted to chime in that these look really sweet, leejsmith. Good luck with it.

Lazy SNK Employee

Quote Originally Posted by leejsmith View Post
    HI, can you tell me what happens with it, do you get any error at start up ?
    http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showth...S-to-short-out

I did a thread on it but TLDR; with a card inserted UNIBIOS gives a memory card error with the card inserted. If I bypass it and try to format it in the memory card manager it says the card is write protected. I have seen some other thread that had a similar problem with a broke trace, but Iím hoping itís just a bad card or MV-IC. Just a process of elimination I guess.

Cham Cham's Banana

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showth...S-to-short-out

I did a thread on it but TLDR; with a card inserted UNIBIOS gives a memory card error with the card inserted. If I bypass it and try to format it in the memory card manager it says the card is write protected. I have seen some other thread that had a similar problem with a broke trace, but I’m hoping it’s just a bad card or MV-IC. Just a process of elimination I guess.

The MV-IC are quite simple so it could be damaged connectors especially on the PCMCIA socket. Damaged leads from the MVS or they are the wrong way around on one side and some problem with the MVS like bad solder joints on the connectors or some logic problem. The one of my friends was the 75HT245 chips that control the address data. In my testing I had all sorts of problems so I think I know most of the problems. If it's knows you have a card and it says write protect this is a problem with data or address lines and when the MVS tried to get data from the card the sram is not in the correct state and sticks the data lines down just like it should when the card is not inserted to stop corruption.

Cham Cham's Banana

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Alec View Post
    I just wanted to chime in that these look really sweet, leejsmith. Good luck with it.
    Thanks, it has been quite the adventure I can tell you !

Lazy SNK Employee

Quote Originally Posted by leejsmith View Post
    The MV-IC are quite simple so it could be damaged connectors especially on the PCMCIA socket. Damaged leads from the MVS or they are the wrong way around on one side and some problem with the MVS like bad solder joints on the connectors or some logic problem. The one of my friends was the 75HT245 chips that control the address data. In my testing I had all sorts of problems so I think I know most of the problems. If it's knows you have a card and it says write protect this is a problem with data or address lines and when the MVS tried to get data from the card the sram is not in the correct state and sticks the data lines down just like it should when the card is not inserted to stop corruption.
    Interesting, would the output from the unibios error help?

Cham Cham's Banana

Interesting, would the output from the unibios error help?

Sorry it does not know why, it just knows the sram is not accepting signals.

Lazy SNK Employee

Ok, I appreciate your expertise. Iíll try the new card when it comes in. If it also doesnít work, which part should I try next? Replace the MV-IC or MVS board?

Cham Cham's Banana

Ok, I appreciate your expertise. I’ll try the new card when it comes in. If it also doesn’t work, which part should I try next? Replace the MV-IC or MVS board?

before that you want to check for damaged connectors, leads and if possible continuity test from the MVS to the MV-IC

Lazy SNK Employee

I have 2 MV-ICs, one of which had a bunch of bent and broken pins. I got another board with good pins, but was filthy and probably not well cared for. So I consider both to be very questionable at best.

Cham Cham's Banana

A big thanks to Gadgetuk164 for making this video showing my kits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNTBChEVHHY&t=4s

Lazy SNK Employee

Thanks for the help, I just got my original memory card and it works fine. Looks like mine was a bad card.

Cham Cham's Banana

Hi All, I am currently going through final testing on two save game options. I have a NVRAM module and a PCMCIA module that can be plugged directly into the MVS4 and MVS6 slot systems so no leads like on the MV-IC. Testing is going well so I was looking at get some interest in these along with the reproduction MV-IC. Both of these need a card enable board to trick the MVS into knowing the card is inserted. Price for the PCMCIA + enable board is £18 (does not include the actual save game card) and the price for the 16kib NVRAM + enable is £25. I only have the prototypes so I was thinking of doing pre sales, what do you think ?

IMG_0027.JPG

I’m quite new to all these stuffs and cannot really find any information on this but is there any way to add memory card support to an mv-1b mvs ?
    I’m not afraid about soldering, i just can’t find any pinout schematic on where to solder cables nor how many cable i’ll need...

Cham Cham's Banana

Quote Originally Posted by dj-ad View Post
    I’m quite new to all these stuffs and cannot really find any information on this but is there any way to add memory card support to an mv-1b mvs ?
    I’m not afraid about soldering, i just can’t find any pinout schematic on where to solder cables nor how many cable i’ll need...
    Sorry I do not know the answer, but I think it's no. It would need a new bios to add the save game function before the actua socket would work so take a look at the NeoBiosMasta first.

Cham Cham's Banana

I have added two new save game options to my shop.

IMG_0008.JPG
    Allows you to insert a PCMCIA card directly into the MVS and does not need the MV-IC and cables

IMG_0009.JPG
    16kbit NVRAM module that can be swapped over to expand storgage.

Both come with card enable boards.

http://www.neogeoleedmarquee.info/shop

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm going to bother.
    Last edited by NeoTurfMasta; 10-02-2019 at 06:33 PM.

Cham Cham's Banana

Quote Originally Posted by NeoTurfMasta View Post
    EDIT: Nevermind, I'm going to bother.
    please show me what you deleted.

Thread Information