I'm scanning my collection of Neo Geo Freak and Gamest magazines

jhonny d

Kula's Candy
Hello everrybody, I'm scanning all the issues of Neo Geo Freak and Gamest (Arcadia will come at a later time). They can be found here: https://archive.org/details/@japanesemagazinesscanproject?tab=uploads&sort=titleSorter
You can look at the online preview, download the pdf or the comic book zip that contains the uncompressed scans.

Also if you want to stay updated you can follow my twitter account https://twitter.com/JapaneseMagScan

I tweet about each upload and some interesting stuff from the magazine themselves, you can find some Warlocks of the Fates and Last Odyssey preview so far.
For example in NGF#3 you can see a Metal Slug 1 Prototype https://twitter.com/JapaneseMagScan/status/1124216214312685568
Some differences I spotted:
  • No Marco/Tarma, only the Metal Slug is seen
  • Energy bar at the top
  • 1995 Copyright in the title screen, final release is 1996
  • Brown Metal Slug

I also have a Patreon campaign running https://www.patreon.com/japanese_magazines_scans_project
It's just a way to say thank if you appreciate the project since I'm never going to make any substantial income out of it considering how much these full collections costed me.

Finally, the Neo Geo Freak issue 3 I scanned contains an easter egg that will get a good laugh out of the old-timers of this forum ;)

neofonta

Zero's Secretary
Thank you so much for your great work!

Community will be glad with your contribution :)

Burgers5750

Kabuki Klasher
Outstanding work. Just had a browse through thanks. I'm sure this will be well received.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Finally, the Neo Geo Freak issue 3 I scanned contains an easter egg that will get a good laugh out of the old-timers of this forum ;)

I threw up a little in my mouth.

But definitely nostalgic to flip through the magazine. I really never looked through my NFs back when I had a complete collection. I was afraid to damage the value. Stupid I guess. What you did took a lot of courage.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Excellent work! I've always wanted a few Freak mags but this is the next best thing and let's face it I'd flick through it once and just set it aside anyway.

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Very interesting and great work. Thanks for sharing.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Amazing project, especially for the gamest section..bravo. I'm not familiar with Patreon, is 1$ or 50$ the only option? Thanks again!

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
This made my day :D Thanks so much for this and keep up the fantastic work!!

jhonny d

Kula's Candy
Amazing project, especially for the gamest section..bravo. I'm not familiar with Patreon, is 1$ or 50$ the only option? Thanks again!

You can pledge as much as you want, you'e not bound to the amount set in the tiers, but I've added an intermediate one just in case.

This is great news!

I was patiently waiting for these to be available at Retromags (https://www.retromags.com/magazines/jpn/neo-geo-freak/) some day. They have the thumbnail covers, but no content yet. They would probably be quite happy for you to donate them there.

Thanks for making these available.

The people at retromags actually convinced me in starting this. They're a small but great and very dedicated group of people. They require that each magazine submitted is edited (look at their tutorial pages for more info), my uploads are raw unedited images. Kitsunebi77 edited and uploaded my scans of the first Gamest issues. My scans, once uploaded, are free for anyone to transform, edit, repost, etc. My goal is to get them out as much as possible.

If someone is willing to edit them for retromags it will be greatly appreciated.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member

Nice that you uploaded these but sadly I don't see what you're talking about in regards to this.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Nice that you uploaded these but sadly I don't see what you're talking about in regards to this.

I remember that the Gowcaizer issue had a feature on “The Warlocks of the Fates”. Perhaps this is what jhonny d is referring to?

irvsmoot

Cheng's Errand Boy
This is rad, thanks for putting in the effort to get these accessible to more people.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Hey j_d, I'm so glad to see you're still kickin' and you're cool as ever.

Of course your scan project is gorgeous. Should you have the time and/or any interest in resuming our little Italian "NEO·GEO BIBLE" project, we're finally getting close to its paper printed release of the 1st volume final form. :-)

Last edited:

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
Fantastic library resource your creating thanks for all the hard work done and to come :buttrock:
Ill be staring at these all day now lol