Shinchan's cheap-ass MVS setup

Shinchan

n00b
A thread to track the progress of my MVS build.

Expenditures so far:
MV-1A board and 161-1 cart: -$20.00
Supergun kit from eBay seller honupata74: $37.50
"Junk" Hori Neo II stick: $40.00
Joystick/buttons/misc from FocusAttack $55.79
AES to BNC cable from RetroAccess: $54.00
Electronic bits for stereo mod: ~$18.00
5v power brick $6.95

Total: $229.74

Okay, so maybe not so cheap, but I'm up and playing for less than $250.

Shinchan

n00b
So while trolling CL, I stumble across an ad for someone selling a sketchy supergun setup, but he also happened to have an MVS board with a 161-1 and an original Magician Lord cart and for the price I figured I couldn't go wrong. I intended to get a NeoSD anyway, so I sold the ML cart to cover my cost plus a tiny bit of profit.

I figured since I didn't really know what I was doing, I should find the cheapest RGB supergun that I could find, and went with the DIY kit from eBay seller honupata74 as other users on the board indicated that the kit at least works.

Last edited:

Shinchan

n00b
The kit from honupata74 seemed to be pretty good for a simple SG. It was missing the power LEDs but the seller had replacements to me in a couple of days. Build was pretty straightforward, I'm an amateur but it went together in about an hour. The PCB was marked really well and any questions I had the seller was pretty responsive.

He has 2 different configurations meant for either vertical or horizontal loading MVS. The one for horizontal loaders didn't really do it for me as the controller ports would be facing up, and I thought if someone tripped over the controller cable or something then that would be problematic. The configuration for vertical loaders almost blocks insertion of the cart, but I figured if I was using a 161-1 or a NeoSD then I wouldn't be changing carts all that often and I liked having the controller ports facing the front so that any mishaps at least had a chance at pulling out of the port instead of pulling the whole shebang off of the shelf.

I also decided to do a 5v conversion on the MVS board so that I could use a cheap power brick.

IMG_5395.jpg

IMG_5408.jpg

Shinchan

n00b
Junk Neo II Hori stick. At least 2 of the buttons were dead. Desoldered the buttons, soldered in a Sanwa stick harness and wires for the buttons to the PCB. I know folks usually grind down the plastic where the stick goes to get everything to fit. I tried several different ways to get the stick to work without all of the plastic removal, but the non-standard spacing that Hori used for the stock stick just wouldn't let things line up. I did manage to retain one plastic riser for a little bit of strength. The stick is slightly off-center from the hole but still has full range of motion. I did have to bend the connectors on 2 of the buttons to get the bottom cover back on. Focusattack service was great.

I really wanted to get to playing, so the OCD wiring cleanup will need to wait. I also need to clean up the rusty top plate and get some kind of graphic wrapped on there, but it plays like a champ as it sits.

IMG_5389.jpg

IMG_5406.jpg

IMG_5414.jpg

Last edited:

Shinchan

n00b
Stereo mod board. Pretty easy to slap together but it would be nice if someone was making a kit with a dedicated PCB. 3.5mm jack for either powered computer speakers or in my case the RGB cable has a 3.5mm plug on the din end and stereo RCA on the monitor/BNC end.

QADrWAkKR0OfLbi%rVTCLA.jpg

Last edited: