AES Stereo Sound mod advise

gamelife00

Rugal's Thug
I have a late revision AES board where the left/right channels are reversed. I sent my board away for a few mods and the chap did this as an extra for me. only issue, is that rather than connect the left channel to the left pad he connected it to the ground pad by mistake, so I only have sound from the right channel.

I wasn't too fussed as I have mono sound fine and I will prob get around to fixing this myself when I get hold of a soldering iron... my question is, if I leave it as is will is cause any problems with the board? I'm not an electronics expert and the guy said it should be ok but just wanting to make sure...I was thinking it's just a case of the left channel sound is being sent to ground so nothing will happen?

cheers all

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
The audio channel is just shorted to ground, so the signal isn’t getting to its intended destination. I would fix it eventually but it’s not a catastrophic issue that might make your AES’ “magic smoke” escape the board anytime soon.

Unless you are sending more / incorrect power to where it doesn’t belong, it’s never really a disaster issue. Grab a soldering Iron, move the one wire, and done

gamelife00

Rugal's Thug
Thanks, don't have access to a soldering iron right now but I'm intending to sort soon, just wanting to make sure they'll be no issues if I use it as is :)

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Couple of points for beginners:

Practice soldering on something else first.

Don't solder near plastic. Completely remove the board from its plastic casing before working on it.