Avengers 4, spoiler thread

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I'm trying to understand why I like this so much and want to concentrate discussion here without fear of spoiling to people in the movie thread. Please discuss.

I think one reason I liked it was because I could really relate to Thor and how he felt. And the Cap moment late when Thor said, "I knew it!" almost made me clap. Maybe I'm secretly a woman going thru a cycle of emotions.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Mixed bag for me but I enjoyed it overall and feel good dipping out of the Marvel movies after this. That said, Infinity War was significantly better.

Spoilery notes (in no particular order):

I think my favorite was Stark being distraught over what happened to Spidey being the impetus for him changing his mind and then hugging Parker on the battlefield after he got desnappified. Their weird surrogate father/son relationship has been one of the nice things they've altered/expanded on for the MCU. Also the nicknames will be what I miss most (Blue Meanie, Build-a-Bear, Lebowski, etc.).

Also liked Thor. The Dadbod of Thunder/Lebowski goof was fun for a while. He moped for maybe a scene or two too long but I largely enjoyed his arc and liked that they put him with the Guardians at the end.

Didn't care much for the Back to the Future II "replaying the old movies" Time Heist section. While it was nice as a "historical review" of the franchise, it largely boiled down to a series of "Hey remember THIS?!" easter eggs and to sneak in some cameos. Robert Redford gots to get paid.

Also didn't care for the mopey first thirty minutes. Obviously that's where the narrative had to go and it's supposed to make the reveal at the end where everyone comes back that much more fulfilling but it didn't really add anything that the end of Infinity War hadn't already accomplished for me.

Cap wielding Mjolnir was a nice touch (since Dadbod Thor apparently can't even take out un-gauntleted Thanos after more or less one-shotting him at the end of Infinity War with the full complement of stones... I know, plot convenience) and a great way to wrap up his character arc.

Also enjoyed Scarlet Witch's moment in the end battle. Don't screw with a lady's robot fucktoy.

Everyone suddenly being able to handle the infinity stones (after it was established in Guardians and other movies that holding one would insta-gib you if you weren't incredibly powerful) was... convenient. Stark in particular being able to handle the full array after it took 4 Guardians to handle the Power stone and the gauntlet brought Hulk to his knees. I mean it's nit picky comic book guy bullshit but this movie was chockful of that kind of cheap narrative convenience.

Captain Marvel being gone for 95% of the movie was also very convenient. I guess that's a way to solve the "Superman conundrum" (how do you write around an invincible, omnipotent hero?): just remove her from the movie. Probably for the better. From the press junkets and interviews, it seemed like Brie Larson didn't make many friends among the cast.

I particularly enjoyed how Stark died quietly with no quips or sappy death speeches (apart from the convenient living will/wrap up narration after the fact) and that his last words were a call back to the beginning of the MCU. Nice touch.

My wife got all weepy about Cap getting to not die a virgin and live happily ever after with his 1940s sweetheart. So thumbs up from her, I guess. Just don't think too long about what that means for the timeline.

All in all, satisfying character arc endings for Stark and Cap and a solid landing for this ridiculous 11 years of movies which is all they really needed to accomplish. The narrative specifics were a little shaky and they could've trimmed out 20-30 minutes of fat but everybody got their scene and the main characters got to walk away gracefully.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Cap and the Hammer was the only real surprise for me. Someone mentioned cap moved it in another movie, so i guess it wasn't that much of a surprise to some. His combat with the hammer was pretty awesome.

The avengers people thought would die, died.

They broke their own time travel rules even though they explained the time travel rules for the movie.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Clanging sound, post credits-I’m calling it now:

Stark’s daughter building Iron Maiden armor.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
How is Cap + Hammer a surprise when it was foreshadowed two movies ago?

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Clanging sound, post credits-I’m calling it now:

Stark’s daughter building Iron Maiden armor.

It has been confirmed by Disney and nerds that it is the sound of tony stark building his first suit in the Cave from iron man 1.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
It has been confirmed by Disney and nerds that it is the sound of tony stark building his first suit in the Cave from iron man 1.

I no believe teh mouse.

I played the clip in SoundHound and the return was, “My First Beat” by Iron Morgan.

Setsuna1982

World Her,
The kid from Iroman 3 showing at the funeral was a nice touch, but 95% of the theater didn't know "who is that guy?"

How is Cap + Hammer a surprise when it was foreshadowed two movies ago?

It was just a joke, but no-one thought he would actually wield the hammer.

Also the film is loaded of little nods, like Sam saying "on your left" like in the beggining of Winter Solider when Cap was running laps around him, going back to the Shield that Cap found in Winter Soldier, "Hail Hydra", etc

Last edited:

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
I’m cool with cap and the hammer, I’m not cool with how all of a sudden he knew the movelist for the hammer - bullshit.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I'm trying to understand why I like this so much and want to concentrate discussion here without fear of spoiling to people in the movie thread. Please discuss.

I think one reason I liked it was because I could really relate to Thor and how he felt. And the Cap moment late when Thor said, "I knew it!" almost made me clap. Maybe I'm secretly a woman going thru a cycle of emotions.

I’m with you on this one, sage.

I like how bleak and dark it was (For the MCU at least.)

I loved that they killed Thanos in the beginning and that was it. They lost.

That sense of dread kind of permeated the movie for me. Even though they ultimately brought everyone back, saved the day, etc - that five years really fucked up a lot of people. That type of trauma isn’t going to heal overnight. I mean Hawkeye is going to have to live with what he became.

Last edited:

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
It would have been nice to see Hulk avenge his ass whooping from infinity war.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Hulk is all nice and smart now. No more smash.

Overall I love this movie. The call backs and reliving some of the scenes from the past is awesome (except Natalie Portman, I just don't like her in anything).

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
How is the Falcon so supposed to be new Cap America.? He's just a guy with a wingsuit....

fake

15 Year Member
How is the Falcon so supposed to be new Cap America.? He's just a guy with a wingsuit....

Don’t a bunch of characters become Captain America in the comics? At least it wasn’t Don Cheadle. Guy looks like he’s get his neck snapped if he slipped and fell on a banana peel.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Don’t a bunch of characters become Captain America in the comics? At least it wasn’t Don Cheadle. Guy looks like he’s get his neck snapped if he slipped and fell on a banana peel.

yes, but they took the serum. there was even a a series where the serum was removed from Steve.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I’m cool with cap and the hammer, I’m not cool with how all of a sudden he knew the movelist for the hammer - bullshit.

"Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of THOR"

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
lots of people like Thanos as a villain in the first movie, but here we see a different side where he wants to recreate the universe and becomes its god

Taiso where's your Taiso post

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I’m the guy that was mad Wolverine wasn’t in a Yellow & Blue suit in the 1st X-Men movie; I’m also the guy mad that Thanos’ drive to get the gems is ‘balancing’ the Universe (not necessarily villainous sounding) as opposed to I’M TRYING TO WOO DEATH.

Where the fuck Adam Warlock at, etc?

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I’m the guy that was mad Wolverine wasn’t in a Yellow & Blue suit in the 1st X-Men movie; I’m also the guy mad that Thanos’ drive to get the gems is ‘balancing’ the Universe (not necessarily villainous sounding) as opposed to I’M TRYING TO WOO DEATH.

Where the fuck Adam Warlock at, etc?

Adam Warlock was put aside as he would overshadow Captain Marvel.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Cap and the Hammer was the only real surprise for me. Someone mentioned cap moved it in another movie, so i guess it wasn't that much of a surprise to some. His combat with the hammer was pretty awesome.

The avengers people thought would die, died.

They broke their own time travel rules even though they explained the time travel rules for the movie.

No more time travel in movies. It's just the ultimate get out of jail free without actually figuring anything out card. Lazy.

Primer is the exception. If you can hit the Primer bar for time travel then go ahead, other than that, nuh-uh.