Hyper Neo Geo 64 Beast Busters - help identify a connector - updated!

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
If this needs to get moved to gen tech support or the Hyper subforum, totally cool. I started here since it's tech and its SNK hardware

https://imgur.com/gallery/bWCfkEp

I am going to be converting a Beast Busters Second Nightmare PCB from the AMP style connectors seen in the gallery to a JAMMA fingerboard (pulling the appropriate signals needed from the connectors for video / power / coin / etc) for supergun play. The board in the gallery is a REV 2 fighting board FYI...so JAMMA isn't avail on the shooting board.

I have the pinouts and schematics needed for the project (thanks NeoTurfMasta and JAMMA Nation X), but I want to do it non destructively. Sure I could cut the wiring harnesses behind the connectors on the board and solder to them, but that's irreversible, and I'd like to avoid that.

These connectors control everything but the X/Y stick inputs for the crosshair, but since my mobo hasn't arrived yet (the photos are of a Rev 2 fighting board, but the connectors are identical) I will leave finding those connectors to a stage two quest. First things first is power, video, and audio.

If anyone can help me I'd owe you. Ive tried Digikey and Mouser, and while I have gotten close, nothing quite matches. I believe the might be part of the TE AMP CONNECTOR line, but that could be wrong? The front facing connectors seen in the photos are female, so I'd be looking for male mating parts.

Note : obv the 4 pin +12V and ground connector is larger than the rest of the connectors, so that is a different variant. I tossed photos up of that as well. Additionally I have thought about trying to find the PCB side connectors and making a harness via that connector, but I wanted to try the front mounted (and easier to connect) connectors first.

help me find these and be my internet hero lol

Last edited:

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
This may be the furthest right connector the 9 pin square one. https://www.arcadepartsandrepair.co.../molex-9-pin-093-power-connector-female-plug/ Also I know you said those are male ports but they look a lot more like female components. typically the ones you actually plug in are a 'male' and those seem to be on the receiving end of business. Anyhow, I'm still looking for more stuff. Good luck!

Update: https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-8-968971-1.html#guest-click This is a 9 pin connector from TE that looks more like the one in photos

Last edited:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
This may be the furthest right connector the 9 pin square one. https://www.arcadepartsandrepair.co.../molex-9-pin-093-power-connector-female-plug/ Also I know you said those are male ports but they look a lot more like female components. typically the ones you actually plug in are a 'male' and those seem to be on the receiving end of business. Anyhow, I'm still looking for more stuff. Good luck!

Yes...what I meant was the opposite of what I wrote lol. I needed male housings

I was able to find some on DigKey. Apparently there are AMP "Mate-n-Lok" connectors, and AMP "Universal Power" connectors. I kept ending up on the Mate n Lok page, which was close but not the right amount of pins per housing.

Getting over to Universal Power I was able to find everything but the 21 pin male housing. So I purchased an additional 12 and 9 pin connector with plans to shave off the sides and turn them into a dual plug 21 pin adapter.

I ordered a 4 pin connector but the four pin 12V plug in the front is a larger format, so I am unsure if that will work. For 30 cents it was worth checking out.

Ill update everyone once they come in and I see what fits

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
Awesome man glad you found everything ok. I just realized that the style of connector I kept posting wouldn't even fit :/

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
Even on the TE website there isn't any 21 pin universal power connectors.. Maybe they never used them but did what you are doing instead lol

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Even on the TE website there isn't any 21 pin universal power connectors.. Maybe they never used them but did what you are doing instead lol

Haha weird right? I cannot for the life of me find a 21 pin AMP connector, but I sure as shit am looking at a 21 pin amp connector on my mobo.

Oh well. I’ll work around it for sure

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Good luck, I'm excited to see what you come up with

My end goal is to achieve a full JAMMA / DB15 port conversion, just like TurfMasta's tutorial shows, but in a completely plug and play solution utilizing AMP connectors / other connectors. I still need to wait for my mobo to arrive so I can try to determine / source the smaller plastic connectors soldered to the sub pcb, as I don't want to tap the solder points on the underside to achieve flight stick conversion.

If all goes well (and if the board even boots. Seller states working, but I had to get the game cart and mobo in separate "make an offer" auctions on ebay...irritating) I will end up with a large plug and play "BB64 to JAMMA/DB15" harness that can be plugged / unplugged in under a minute, while not touching the BB mobo

or I'll fuck it all up and break it lolol. This is the most ambitious project I've decided to undertake

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
Ah I have a similar project for the Mv1B that is currently in the prototype phase. Please don't fuck it up lol for the sake of those who can't afford to buy them and save them

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Ah I have a similar project for the Mv1B that is currently in the prototype phase. Please don't fuck it up lol for the sake of those who can't afford to buy them and save them

lol I wasn’t planning on it

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Unfortunately they were not the AMP connectors...or at least the same size as on Arcade Otaku Wiki

Anyone have any other thoughts? Right connector, wrong size. I may just need to bulk order on Digi-Key till I find a fit.

Pins weren't compatible either. Male pins on Hyper mobo did not fit female pins I ordered. Too small

IMG_7845.jpg

Last edited:

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
Can you post the dimensions of the plugs you ordered and also a link to the ones you purchased. I wonder if they're different from the ones sold by TE Connectivity

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
I seriously can't find anything else even close. It might be worth asking someone you know to 3d design some plugs for you and possibly open source them so others can 3d print them

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
My god sorry for absolutely spamming this thread but everytime I give up I find something. Did you order these ones from digikey already?

(15pin)
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/172171-1/A25704-ND/333009

(12pin)
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/172170-1/A25703-ND/333008

(Also 12 pin but larger) https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/176278-1/A106906-ND/2328020

(12 pin but its double locking kinda like the NG64's)
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/177905-1/A106289-ND/1863767

If you could, give me the list which you purchased so I can cross reference before I post again. Also if you could measure the pitch (center to center) of the pins and the inside of the furthest most pins that would help a ton as I can tell what won't fit right away.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I found the right ones. I think. Fingers crossed when they arrive. They are not made by TE / AMP, but by a company called JST. JST YL connector. Ordered all the connectors. Pins are backprdered from China so that’ll be a pain in the ass haha

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
Xian Xi had told me they were JST connectors last night but I couldn't find that style. I think this may finally be it!

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Xian Xi had told me they were JST connectors last night but I couldn't find that style. I think this may finally be it!

My connectors aren’t stamped with any identifying marks, but I found photos of another hyper board with connectors stamped JST. Did some digikey searching and found connectors that matched all the measurements my calipers read. So I hope this is it.

Still need to find female pins though. Those were back ordered. So if you find a source of JST YL female crimp puns, let me know.

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
The only place I can find atm is on ebay a seller called funbient has a few listings for a male housing/female pins 15 pins. So you might order a couple of those 15 pin kits so you have enough pins. They're 6 dollars a kit I believe.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
The only place I can find atm is on ebay a seller called funbient has a few listings for a male housing/female pins 15 pins. So you might order a couple of those 15 pin kits so you have enough pins. They're 6 dollars a kit I believe.

I chatted with him. Once I confirm the connectors fit, I’ll order a custom order from him to get some pins. I’ll need around 20 to complete the project, and more “uh oh” pins for fuck ups. Even making CPS2 harnesses I have a 1/10 failure rate on crimps. Just the cost of doing business with pins I guess lol

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
Gotcha. Could you clarify exactly what ports (VL/YL) are on the HNG64 itself? I want to go and update a couple of the wikis so that this information is more available