How do you adjust difficulty level for MVS titles?

Rick Dangerous

Quiz Detective
So i have a UniBios 4.0, which i explored pretty thoroughly.

I notice when i boot up a game, Top Hunter for example, it seems to be set by default to "Level 4" difficulty.

I have my machine set to USA region and Arcade. Now do I need to set it to "AES" to be able to control difficulty, or in the In Game menu do i need to be messing with dip switch settings (which i noticed are 1-8.)

Also; side question; what do YOU tend to play your games on? Do most leave it at 4? Ramp it up to 8?

Sorry for the newb question, but i DID use the search feature, and google, and couldn't find a good answer. Thanks!

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Its all on your soft dips or if you have one test/service menu.

If you have dip switches turn dip one on before start up.

I tend to play in AES mode on standard difficulty but I aint interested in chasing high scores.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Its all on your soft dips or if you have one test/service menu.

If you have dip switches turn dip one on before start up.

I tend to play in AES mode on standard difficulty but I aint interested in chasing high scores.
no No NO... difficulty is in the soft dips which you acces holding some odd combo of 3 buttons( i think) at startup...dip 7 is for free play which you want until you are good, which means play in arade mode not ass.?? the last 3 buttons or the first three...google should have intel on accessing mvs soft dips? at least level 2 unless you are completely wasted, which is ok? I am for sure.?

usa arcade..only 2.3 what am I missing out on?

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
no No NO... difficulty is in the soft dips which you acces holding some odd combo of 3 buttons( i think) at startup...dip 7 is for free play which you want until you are good, which means play in arade mode not ass.?? the last 3 buttons or the first three...google should have intel on accessing mvs soft dips? at least level 2 unless you are completely wasted, which is ok? I am for sure.?

usa arcade..only 2.3 what am I missing out on?

The button combos are for the uni bios menu and they are:

The following codes should be used on the 1up controller while the splash screen is showing or held during power up if the splash screen is disabled;

(A)+(B)+(C) UNIVERSE BIOS Menu

(A)+(B)+(C)+(D) Memory Card Manager

(B)+(C)+(D) Test Mode (MVS only)

(B)+(C)+(D) Hardware Test (AES only)

(Use 2up controller for the following code)
(A)+(B)+(C)+(D) Controller Test (AES only)

The following codes are available in game only, they will not work if you have disabled the in game menu (general bios settings);

(START)+(SELECT) In Game Menu

(START)+(COIN) In Game Menu

(START)+(A)+(B)+(C) In Game Menu

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
So i have a UniBios 4.0, which i explored pretty thoroughly.

I notice when i boot up a game, Top Hunter for example, it seems to be set by default to "Level 4" difficulty.

I have my machine set to USA region and Arcade. Now do I need to set it to "AES" to be able to control difficulty, or in the In Game menu do i need to be messing with dip switch settings (which i noticed are 1-8.)

On Unibios 4.0, go to Main Bios Config, switch it to the region you want and Home Console mode. This will allow you to use the home console settings which should allow you to pick the difficulty.

Also; side question; what do YOU tend to play your games on? Do most leave it at 4? Ramp it up to 8?

Sorry for the newb question, but i DID use the search feature, and google, and couldn't find a good answer. Thanks!

It depends on the game. I'll ramp Last Resort to Level 8, but I'm keeping Art of Fighting 2 at 4 until I figure out patterns that allow me to pull my head out of my ass when fighting the CPU.

Rick Dangerous

Quiz Detective
Okay so option one seems to be put mode into Aes, so you can adjust difficulty in the system menu. Thanks!

If I am in arcade mode, looking at the soft dip switch menu, it shows three banks of 1-8, with the third saying "dev_do not use" or something to that effect. If I want say level 2 do I just switch on 2 of banks 1 and 2 (player 1 and 2?) or are there different codes/combos I need to be inputting for each game? Thanks again.

The dip switches look a little technical and I just want to make sure I'm not messing anything up that will cause glitches.

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Okay so option one seems to be put mode into Aes, so you can adjust difficulty in the system menu. Thanks!

If I am in arcade mode, looking at the soft dip switch menu, it shows three banks of 1-8, with the third saying "dev_do not use" or something to that effect. If I want say level 2 do I just switch on 2 of banks 1 and 2 (player 1 and 2?) or are there different codes/combos I need to be inputting for each game? Thanks again.

The dip switches look a little technical and I just want to make sure I'm not messing anything up that will cause glitches.
No, you can change the difficulty on MVS mode. You don't even need the Unibios.

When you boot up your CMVS, hold down B+C+D to access the MVS soft dips. From there, go to game setting and then select the game you're playing. In that menu, you can change difficulty, change credit settings, and continues.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member

When you boot up your CMVS, hold down B+C+D to access the MVS soft dips. From there, go to game setting and then select the game you're playing. In that menu, you can change difficulty, change credit settings, and continues.

those are the last three...so yeah I said that.

soft dip switch???only have uni 2.3 so I dunno, but yeah no reason...seems the same number of as hard dips tho with no reason to mess with except 7 for free play, continues like? and 8 being a do not touch too.

machine infers not a aes home console for sure.

Last edited:

Rick Dangerous

Quiz Detective

This worked perfectly; thank you! Doesn't save the settings on the 161-1 cart when you turn it off; but still fast enough to get into if you are spending some time with a game. I assume it saves them for normal carts.

For the 161 cart for it to work properly, load the game you want to play; do a soft reboot from the in game menu (start and select), then during the load screen hit BCD to access the soft dips specific to that game.