Has anyone manufactured Neo Geo controllers recently?

Rick Dangerous

Quiz Detective
First off---I DID use the search feature; and didn't see anything related; so don't flog me too hard.

I am new to the Neo Geo scene so forgive me asking; have there been any new Neo Geo controllers made in a while?

Looks like both the pads and sticks are pretty pricey used these days. Anything on the horizon in that regard?

It got so bad with Jaguar that a new run of pro controllers were manufactured recently (granted the original are still pretty cheap.)

I'm not a stickler for OEM; if anyone is making a nice pad/stick that is compatible with the Neo Geo MVS/AES/CD i'd like to know about it.

Thanks!

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Just make your own like I did.

ce67b4aa9002c29fa3ba896119f0cdd4.jpg

Sorry dont pics of the actual stick on its own but you get the idea.

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
A lot of people make them, very easy to do actually. Look for a good neo geo supergun stick. If you are talking cd controller or bean controller, the answer is no.

Rick Dangerous

Quiz Detective
NICE. Who makes them? Anyone got a link? I'd rather buy something nice and new that some of the heavily used and abused kidney bean sticks i'm seeing on fleabay.

Also--dumb newb question--all the controllers are interchangeable right? AES/MVS/CD, all controllers would work on each system?

nemozero

n00b
hi there im in the process of making custom controllers.but its gonna be a few months before im ready.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
I'm surprised 8bitdo havnt made one yet, they seem to make them for every other system. To the OP, perhaps look into getting a nice stick for the PS3/PS4 and you can get a converter to Neo Geo.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
+1 for building your own. I recently bought two new Neo X sticks to completely gut out and put in Seimitsu parts in both. At least they are good for something. :cool:

NexusX

Astra Superstar
As most people have already said. A great option is to build your own from scratch or convert your own from an existing stick. I was able to add a Neo plug to two extra Matcatz TE sticks I had around and they work great. I do have AES old style sticks and bean sticks. They are great but they do have to their limits.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
This is unrelated, Titch you know you can reverse the pcb's in the NeoSD case so that the front is facing forward?

TK86079

Mr. Big's Thug
If you want the Stick look like the original ones, buy neo geo x Board and replace the cable. Very easy mod.

GamingCult

n00b
Even though I was lucky enough to get two Neo Geo sticks when I purchased my AES, I’ve still been using alternate controllers on my unit.

For one, I have a Brook PS3/PS4 to Neo Geo adapter so I can use my favourite custom fightstick with it. The default button layout is slightly different, but you can customize it. My only complaint, when you customize the layout, the configurations are reset once the console is powered down.

I’ve also purchased a R2tronik Genesis/Mega Drive to Neo Geo adapter on eBay so I could use a Sega 6-button controller (Their d-pad is unmatched in my opinion). I recently switched over to an 8bitdo M30 2.4ghz pad (which replicates that d-pad to near perfection) so I can enjoy Neo Geo with modern conveniences. However, if you want to use this adapter on an AES, you will need to modify a controller extension cable so it can fit into the db15 connector port as it won’t insert firmly in the AES controller port.

So there are my Neo Geo controller alternatives. Hard to beat the original options, but you have choices.

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
NICE. Who makes them? Anyone got a link? I'd rather buy something nice and new that some of the heavily used and abused kidney bean sticks i'm seeing on fleabay.

Also--dumb newb question--all the controllers are interchangeable right? AES/MVS/CD, all controllers would work on each system?

Yes that’s correct, all work on all systems.

blakeb8111

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Definitely try to build your own. You’ll learn some good stuff during the process and you can do the button layout to your liking. There’s plenty of threads around here with lots of good info, and if you get stuck or need ideas there are plenty of people here who can prob give you some good advice. Check this thread out, it helped me out a ton when i did mine a couple of years ago.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...With&highlight=Favorite+joystick+to+play+with

blakeb8111

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Hey Marty, I haven’t sold them yet. I wanted to sell them as a bundle with a really nice CMVS but I haven’t been able to make up my mind about it. I typed up a listing and took pics but never posted it lol. I think part of the reason is because I built them myself. Those enclosures are awesome to work with. I think this is the link to the case we used:

https://www.okwenclosures.com/en/Pl....htm?ref=416b3450-69b5-11e5-ab58-bc764e20b40e

defalt

Cheng's Errand Boy
It's possible to mod NGX pads to work on regular Neos. If I had enough money I'd make new plastic Neo controllers, like the originals, but the plastic molds and silkscreening process are very, very expensive (+20'000 USD).

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Hey Marty, I haven’t sold them yet. I wanted to sell them as a bundle with a really nice CMVS but I haven’t been able to make up my mind about it. I typed up a listing and took pics but never posted it lol. I think part of the reason is because I built them myself. Those enclosures are awesome to work with. I think this is the link to the case we used:

https://www.okwenclosures.com/en/Pl....htm?ref=416b3450-69b5-11e5-ab58-bc764e20b40e

Yeah I get that, only reason I sold mine was because I thought I was done with the Neo. I sold everything back in '16. Let myself get drawn back into MVS few months ago. I wanted to build something different so I got x2 Neo X sticks to gut. Got to make the PITA DB15 mounts like I did with the OKW enclosures. I just like my cord to be detachable.