The Pulstar soundtrack will be getting a Vinyl & CD release soon

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Great news, looking forward to this. Just bought me the MVS kit of this beautiful game so it's right on time :buttrock:

Pulstar_Cover.jpg

PULSTAR The Definitive Soundtrack comes to CD & Vinyl in June 2019! Pre-orders begin in mid-May!
SNK AND BRAVE WAVE CONTINUE THEIR EXCITING PARTNERSHIP TO BRING CLASSIC NEO GEO SOUNDTRACKS TO CD AND VINYL
SNK and Brave Wave Productions are proud to reveal their third collaboration, Generation Series 009: PULSTAR for CD and vinyl. Originally released for NEO GEO in 1995, 2D shooter PULSTAR became a cult classic among SNK fans, featuring fast-paced gameplay, graphics and music. The soundtrack is composed by ex-SNK composer Harumi Fujita.

PULSTAR The Definitive Soundtrack features the entirety of the original music remastered and restored to the highest possible quality, in collaboration and consultation with SNK and original composer Harumi Fujita. This re-release features both the Neo Geo AES and Neo Geo CD versions of the PULSTAR soundtrack, giving fans a choice of which arrangements to listen to.

PULSTAR The Definitive Soundtrack on CD and vinyl will feature a booklet containing artwork from the SNK archives, in addition to in-depth track-by-track liner notes written by composer Fujita herself. Fujita recalls her feelings on each song, detailing the methodology in which they were created and what inspired their direction, which includes historical events that occurred in Japan during the mid-1990s.

PULSTAR The Definitive Soundtrack features an exclusive cover drawn during the game’s development but has never been publicly revealed until now. Fans of the original package design will find it reproduced faithfully in the center gatefold.

The vinyl release will come on 2 LPs, with Disc 1 (Sides A and B) dedicated to the Neo Geo AES version and Disc 2 (Sides C and D) dedicated to the Neo Geo CD version. The following variants will be available in North America, Australia and Europe:

2-LP Vinyl

2-LP Signed Limited Edition (limited to 150 copies) - US $35 / €35

2-LP Standard Edition - US$35 / €35

CD Edition

1-CD Set: Standard Edition - US$15 / €15

NOTE: Euro (€) prices include VAT. US Dollar (US$) prices DO NOT include any applicable sales tax.

SNK and Brave Wave plan to continue their partnership through 2019 and beyond. Neo Geo fans can expect many of their favorite classic soundtracks to make their way to CD and vinyl in new and unprecedented quality, under the same award-winning team at Brave Wave who previously worked on the Billboard-charted Street Fighter II The Definitive Soundtrack and the two-volume Ninja Gaiden The Definitive Soundtrack.

http://www.bravewave.net/genseries/009

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Oh I'm in for the signed version, especially with the CD versions on there.

Jontox

Quiz Detective
Definitely a must have.
I've purchased from Bravewave the Art of Fighting Definitive soundtrack and it is a must !

By the way, the Art of Fighting 2 Definitive Soundtrack is available as well.

Last edited:

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
This is great news, I bought the SF2 sondtrack Bravewave produced and it was ridiculously good. Looking forward to this one.
Still I kninda wish Data Discs released more NG soundtracks, I love their work.

Dampfwalze

Armored Scrum Object,
20 Year Member
Looks great. :)
But isn't Pulstar one of these games on the Neo that uses short MP3 loops for music? Or do I mix this up with Blazing Star?

Edit: just checked on YouTube and all the music tracks are 50-60 seconds loops with exception of the credits roll.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Has anyone here ever beat Pulstar without cheating?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

I put on invincibility from the UniBIOS and it froze the game on one of the later bosses.

I cheated and the game still wouldn't let me beat it.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I put on invincibility from the UniBIOS and it froze the game on one of the later bosses.

I cheated and the game still wouldn't let me beat it.

Yes, if I recall correctly there is a certain part of the game you have to disable cheats or else the game will lock up. You could turn it on afterwards I think. Don't know if it's still like that with the latest Uni-Bios.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
From what I can tell, there's not much difference between the cartridge and CD tracks other than stereo and the sampling rate.

I believe I did on level 1 difficulty on the NGCD back in the day.

Last edited:

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
Anyone know if the music used for this will be taken from the ROM or studio tapes/data file before compression? Wasn't the music found on the Neo-Geo ROM a compressed mono audio track made to work with the Neo-Geo hardware? The only way to truly improve the sound quality over the ROM is to use a studio master with stereo sound. Still an awesome release either way.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Well, they say it's remastered. My question is what's the difference between the cartridge and CD music? Isn't the NGCD version basically from the studio master you speak of?

I do feel that the CD version sounds slightly different from the cartridge at times (beyond just the difference in sampling rate) but what I'm hearing could just be a byproduct of the compression.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Still I kninda wish Data Discs released more NG soundtracks, I love their work.

Yeah, they've just released Metal Slug 'til now but I'm sure there will be more in the future from those guys too. However, I somehow prefer the Brave Wave releases as they always come with extensive liner notes ^^;

Anyone know if the music used for this will be taken from the ROM or studio tapes/data file before compression?

Since they work together with the original composer (Harumi Fujita) I'm fairly certain they will have access to the master tapes and use them for the remaster. But as Neo Alec pointed out, the differences between the MVS and CD versions are quite subtle and I wouldn't exactly call it an arranged soundtrack. It's nice to see they will include it anyway :)

PS: Anyone else dig the cover art? I think it looks gorgeous. It is somehow generic, that's why I think they went for the other art but still some nice graphics!

Last edited:

TK86079

Mr. Big's Thug
I really love the game, only the Mono Sound makes me sick every time I play it. I never understood that games like Last Resort have so awesome sound in stereo, why only Mono on Pulstar and blazing Star?

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
I really love the game, only the Mono Sound makes me sick every time I play it. I never understood that games like Last Resort have so awesome sound in stereo, why only Mono on Pulstar and blazing Star?

I think games like Last Resort have music that was created using a medium that is more directly compatible with Neo-Geo hardware. Whereas, games like Blazing Star have music that's beyond the native capability of the NG's hardware, so the sound data is compressed to a mono track and streamed from a file the NG can play. So u get more dynamic instruments, but at a lower fidelity.

Also, I believe the ROM & NGC Pulstar soundtracks are different.

TK86079

Mr. Big's Thug
The CD Track is different. At the beginning for example, when the Neo Geo ball comes down, it’s much more Music. The neo geo CD has no headphone Plug, so im not sure if it’s stereo. I mostly play MVS with headphones on. But maybe it’s the not compressed soundtrack on cd.

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
The CD Track is different. At the beginning for example, when the Neo Geo ball comes down, it’s much more Music. The neo geo CD has no headphone Plug, so im not sure if it’s stereo. I mostly play MVS with headphones on. But maybe it’s the not compressed soundtrack on cd.

I think the NGCD ver. is an arranged stereo mix. If you put the game in a standard CD player and skip to track 2 and forward u should be able to enjoy the music like a regular CD. It's been many years since I've owned NGCD games but I think u can enjoy most like regular music CDs by doing this.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Older games like Last Resort have music generated by the Neo's internal Yamaha sound chip.

Pulstar's music is just a recording. It's like playing a low fi mono CD. A lot of later third party games on the Neo have this type of music.