Kizuna re-used rom chips from Savage Reign, did other neo titles do this?

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
I understand from reading old threads on this site that Kizuna Encounter (I love this game) not only reused graphics from Savage Reign but literally re-used leftover Savage Reign rom chips in its carts as Savage Reign hadn't sold well and SNK wanted to clear out its existing stock. That got me thinking...

Considering there are several other neo games that are incremental updates that reuse lots of graphics from the prior game in the series, might there be other neo titles that do this? (Maybe Fatal Fury Special for FF2? The Realbout games? Sam Shodown 5 and 5S?)

By the way, if anyone is aware of any interviews with snk staff that touch on Kizuna in any way (development, location tests, reception by the public, use of Savage Reign rom chips, etc) I'd be much obliged if you could point me to them. I'm fascinated by this game.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The obvious one is Puzzle Bobble reusing Power Spikes 2 ROMs/boards.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
Puzzle de Pon! R is the only other one I know of.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
I wouldnt be surprised if Metal Slug X and Breakers Revenge were like this given that they were very very similar to the first games

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I have a Real Bout white cart with Fatal Fury 3 chips and a Puzzle De Pon with World Heroes chips

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year

Cool information! Thanks for sharing.

“In those days patches were obviously not possible like they are now and we actually discovered after release of the first lot of MVS cartridges that Billy Kane’s short hop A had no hitbox!” Oda has a bitter smile on his face as he remembers the incident. “We were forced to recall the cartridges already out in the wild to fix this mistake, which was quite an undertaking.”

Wow, I wonder if any of those cartridges with the mistake are still out in the wild... would be quite the collectors item $$$$$ ;)

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
I wouldnt be surprised if Metal Slug X and Breakers Revenge were like this given that they were very very similar to the first games

I got curious so I whipped a little program to compare ms2 and msX. It found none of the roms were identical. Also a quick comparison in my little sprite viewer supports it. So I don't think they had identical roms.

EDIT: at least with RBFF and FF3 you can clearly see by just unzipping the roms. RBFF has several of FF3's c and v roms in it.

Last edited: