PlayStation 5

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
There is zero chance of this. It won't even be the equivalent of a $3,000 PC in 2018, let alone one in 2020, unless you're talking about a grossly overpriced pre-built but custom PC.

edit: It's possible we'll see Nvidia's 21XX line by the time this launches, and this will likely be based around the AMD equivalent of a 2060. The last console that launched with comparable power to a higher-end PC was the 360, and that didn't last long.

edit2: None of us can be sure what to think about this until our PlayStation Prophet, saner, weighs in though.

FFS. The Yoshi and BulbousBeard accounts should be merged.

At the risk of oversimplifying...

ALIENWARE AREA-51 THREADRIPPER EDITION - MSRP - ~$2900 before dealz.

CPU: 12 core, 3.5GHz
GPU: 1.3GHz, 4GB VRAM
RAM: 8GB DDR4
HDD: 2TB 7200RPM

PS5 - MSRP ~$500

*** = rough performance equivalent
+++ = actual spec prediction

Obviously, a console's hardware is completely locked down and doesn't need specs nearly as beefy as a PC of comparable output, which is why I'm specifying between performance and actual specs.

*** CPU: AMD Ryzen 1700x, 8 core, 3.5GHz [Sony and AMD confirmed it will be a Ryzen CPU.]
*** GPU: Navi will be a step above Vega. A recent Vega is 1.4GHz and 8 GB VRAM. [Sony and AMD confirmed PS5 will use Navi GPU]
+++ RAM: 16GB DDR4 [PS3 had 256MB, PS4 has 8GB. 16GB is a safe bet.]
+++ HDD: 128GB SSD

Last edited:

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Of course it won't be high end cpu or gpu parts but these things always perform better than their pc equivalents. But this aint no slouch either.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Here we go again - comparing PC parts to console specs.
This shit returns every time a new console is announced and it doesn't make any sense.
Will you never learn?
Apples and oranges.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
ALIENWARE AREA-51 THREADRIPPER EDITION - MSRP - ~$2900 before dealz.

CPU: 12 core, 3.5GHz
GPU: 1.3GHz, 4GB VRAM
RAM: 8GB DDR4
HDD: 2TB 7200RPM
That qualifies as an overpriced, pre-built one for sure.

Obviously, a console's hardware is completely locked down and doesn't need specs nearly as beefy as a PC of comparable output, which is why I'm specifying between performance and actual specs.
Performance sounds fair. A $3,000 PC will run everything (that isn't a complete programming disaster at least) at 4K and 60+fps on High or Ultra settings. That seem like a reasonable bar to test your claim. Until then, there's no point in further speculation.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
So you haven't bought a game console since the NES was released, right? Every single one has first-party requirements dealing with explicit content.
Obviously, but a common sense policy to protect the platform is not what this is anymore. It is objectively more strict than competitors', and it appears to be be driven by the US to appease "video game journalists," so maybe mandating easy modes will be next.

edit: The most ridiculous example was DMC5, which Sony allowed Capcom to undo after getting backlash for being idiots.

Last edited:

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
This shit returns every time a new console is announced and it doesn't make any sense.
Will you never learn?
Apples and oranges.

+1

fake

15 Year Member
Will you never learn?
Apples and oranges.

Yes and no. Comparing PS3 or 360 to PC builds is useless, sure. But XBone and PS4 are PCs that use off-the-shelf components. Being able to optimize for a very specific configuration leads to a substantial performance boost, but it's not useless to compare consoles in the era when consoles are just x86 / x64 computers. Apples and oranges? Apples are basically the same size as oranges. And red apples are only a shade of from oranges. They both are juicy and sugary. There's quite a bit in common, and understanding one can help make inferences about the other. Disagree?

fake

15 Year Member
Sony says that PS5 won't be out in the next 12 months. In other words, it'll probably be out in November 2020.

Not exactly surprising, but I figured they'd be scrambling to get something out given how much the PS4 library has been petering out over the last year. Is there anything big even left? (I'm assuming Last of Us II and Death Stranding will be fall 2020 releases.)

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Ghost of Tsushima
Nioh 2
Shenmue 3
FF7 remake

There are also plenty of games outside of exclusives / console exclusives.

fake

15 Year Member
I'm kind of iffy on Ghost of Tsushima. Didn't know about Nioh 2. Nioh will be one of the first games I get when I get a PS4. Shenmue 3, I'm hoping it succeeds but I'm not holding my breath. And FF7 remake, I'd put in the bucket with Last of Us II and Death Stranding.

I'm betting hardware sales will slow quite a bit pretty soon, but I'm surprised by how they were able to keep the sales up with the Pro model.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Sony says that PS5 won't be out in the next 12 months. In other words, it'll probably be out in November 2020.

Not exactly surprising, but I figured they'd be scrambling to get something out given how much the PS4 library has been petering out over the last year. Is there anything big even left? (I'm assuming Last of Us II and Death Stranding will be fall 2020 releases.)
Look back at the final days of the PS3. They released The Last of Us and Gran Turismo 6 and then let third-parties carry it. I think we'll see TLoU2 sooner, maybe even this fall and then a remaster on PS5 to double-dip again. It worked too well the last time for them not to try it again, even though the situation where so many people jumped from 360 to PS4 doesn't exist this time. Who knows when Death Stranding is coming. Since Kojima is developing it, and it's not a Snatcher and Policenauts remaster, I really don't care.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding are already rumored to be PS5 launch titles (along with a new Assassins Creed, GTA6 and GT7).

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
PS5...... i thought this was a joke.
PS4 Pro v2. Finally joins the SSD club. My PS3 ran an SSD's.....

of course it's backwards compatible. It's the same system....

fake

15 Year Member
PS5...... i thought this was a joke.
PS4 Pro v2. Finally joins the SSD club. My PS3 ran an SSD's.....

of course it's backwards compatible. It's the same system....

I mean at this point there isn’t much keeping them from just calling it PlayStation and updating the hardware every 3 or so years while keeping backward compatibility. I doubt they’re going to reverse course and start using custom built niche components that would break compatibility.

Stuart989

Sexless Insecure troglodyte, Has an awesome pc rig
My new upgraded PC already takes a dump on it. Next...

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
My new upgraded PC already takes a dump on it. Next...

Tell us more! we're so eager to hear about your PC! though I am pretty disappointed you don't have your rig build in your sig.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I mean at this point there isn’t much keeping them from just calling it PlayStation and updating the hardware every 3 or so years while keeping backward compatibility. I doubt they’re going to reverse course and start using custom built niche components that would break compatibility.
I would agree with you, but think about the poor bastards who work retail. Can you imagine trying to explain this to random customers off the street buying one for their kids?

saner

Krauser's Henchman
PS5 better have Dragon Force port, whether original or the PS2 remake ( I have it on PS3, but it should be ported to every console, I'd play it on PS4 right now if it was purchasable through the PS4 Japan PSN Store at least. ). they should port Dragon Force 2 too while they're at it. PS4 missed out on so much PS1 and PS2 masterpieces, PS5 should merge the psn stores.
oh yea and the share features to return. being able to record and upload video from the PS4 (sharefactory is great for editing too) to youtube is really great and contributes to games with more gameplay vids for people to check out. just the capture card/pc streamers is not enough to provide various videos from different gamers. and tons of people use Share button on PS4.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
PS5 better have Dragon Force port, whether original or the PS2 remake ( I have it on PS3, but it should be ported to every console, I'd play it on PS4 right now if it was purchasable through the PS4 Japan PSN Store at least. ). they should port Dragon Force 2 too while they're at it. PS4 missed out on so much PS1 and PS2 masterpieces, PS5 should merge the psn stores.
oh yea and the share features to return. being able to record and upload video from the PS4 (sharefactory is great for editing too) to youtube is really great and contributes to games with more gameplay vids for people to check out. just the capture card/pc streamers is not enough to provide various videos from different gamers. and tons of people use Share button on PS4.

Yup I’m sure a port of a Sega Saturn game would definitely make the PS5 sell.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member

That's actually quite an excellent idea. Marketing wise too.

Doubt the Final Fantasy Remake will be released on PS4 (Last Guardian all over again)
Shenmue 3 has us at hello but isn't really a big PS4 release.

Last edited:

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Once again, it sounds like more of an evolution. I'll grab one eventually when there is a game that grabs my attention.

fake

15 Year Member
Once again, it sounds like more of an evolution. I'll grab one eventually when there is a game that grabs my attention.

Inevitable launch window line-up:
Cyberpunk 2077, The Last of Us II, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Death Stranding

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
If they are seeking big success the price point from the start has to be around 400 dollars. You can have mass appeal through attractive hard/software, or decently reasonable pricepoint. I think the win will come via the latter.