Modded PS2 troubles

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
So, I have a fat US region modded PS2. It read US and JPN dvds and cds (and psx games of any region) for years.

Within the past year or so, it stopped reading CD games of any region. I brought it to a (trusted) shop to have the laser/drive replaced.

When I went to pick it up, they told me that the problems is unchanged and it still won't read CD games. When I brought it home, it doesn't read any discs of any region whatsoever.

They claim it might be a "power supply" issue, but they've washed their hands of this repair (I hadn't be charged anything).

WHAT can I do to get this damn thing to work?
Any guesses would be greatly appreciated.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
So, I have a fat US region modded PS2. It read US and JPN dvds and cds (and psx games of any region) for years.

Within the past year or so, it stopped reading CD games of any region. I brought it to a (trusted) shop to have the laser/drive replaced.

When I went to pick it up, they told me that the problems is unchanged and it still won't read CD games. When I brought it home, it doesn't read any discs of any region whatsoever.

They claim it might be a "power supply" issue, but they've washed their hands of this repair (I hadn't be charged anything).

WHAT can I do to get this damn thing to work?
Any guesses would be greatly appreciated.

Why not just HDD mod it? Do away with the need for the drive all together.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Who ever installed your new laser doesn't know what they're doing. Either they installed a defective one or don't know how to calibrate it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I think Razo is right. I don't have a lot of experience with PS2s, but the source of the new lasers for most systems is China, and I can speak from experience that on other systems the lasers have a really high failure rate. On my Duo, I think I had to buy 3 lasers before I found a good one, and it had to be meticulously adjusted to work properly. I spoke with someone who's more knowledgeable and he said that's normal, he'll often buy several lasers at once and hope a few in the pile are decent.