Manufactured Homes

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Well I just dunno because I still think it's too soon to judge the quality of McMansions considering they were only built within the past decade or so.

I would sooner like to see the houses of people who deride McMansions though.

Ohh, my house is a real prefab shit 70's modular with every corner cut. But I don't stay awake all night trying to figure out how to cover a mortgage/taxes/upkeep. I have childcare issues to worry about.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I would sooner like to see the houses of people who deride McMansions though.

I live in a brick house built in the 70s. I had to replace the roof last year but other than standard maintenance there's no reason it shouldn't outlive me.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Depending on the price of course, I would take a Newer 2000+ home with newer electrical, plumbing, open concept over something older. Who wouldn't? Lol at a millennial in some video trying to educate me.

My house was built in 2003 and thank god I've had minor issues. More wear and tear stuff then anything else. If the foundation and framing was built correctly you should have no problems living in that home for a lifetime.

Do some contractors use cheaper possibly used material like Windows, Doors, Water Heaters, Central Air Units, Compressors, etc. Do some cut back on things like Insulation, Yes depending on the Contractor. All those things can be changed later on though, if necessary.

As far as the size go's. I agree, some people go a little crazy. I wouldn't need anything that big like what is shown in that video but to each his own.

This is not a knock on older homes. You could always find a well built older home and update it but I'll take the newer home all day if I could afford it.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Depending on the price of course, I would take a Newer 2000+ home with newer electrical, plumbing, open concept over something older. Who wouldn't? Lol at a millennial in some video trying to educate me.

My house was built in 2003 and thank god I've had minor issues. More wear and tear stuff then anything else. If the foundation and framing was built correctly you should have no problems living in that home for a lifetime.

Do some contractors use cheaper possibly used material like Windows, Doors, Water Heaters, Central Air Units, Compressors, etc. Do some cut back on things like Insulation, Yes depending on the Contractor. All those things can be changed later on though, if necessary.

As far as the size go's. I agree, some people go a little crazy. I wouldn't need anything that big like what is shown in that video but to each his own.

This is not a knock on older homes. You could always find a well built older home and update it but I'll take the newer home all day if I could afford it.

You saved me having to write basically the same thing. In central FL you get hipsters buying wood constructed older homes that will get wrecked if there's a major hurricane. Much better off buying a site-built "McMansion" or whatever you want to call it that's constructed to modern building standards. The ones in the video look bad, sure, but she cherry picked the worst examples she could find.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member

Agree, people actually want to live on old ass outdated homes? Only reason you like its more affordable so stop trying to kid yourself. Not to mention i would be weary of old electrical wiring.

Unfortunate for me both my homes were right around late 90s early 00s. So we get those not so nice floor plans compare to now with the open floor plan. As much as we want to buy a new big updated home, its just not ideal for 3rd/vacation home. That's why i wanted to see what these modular manufactured homes are like. You can get the same nice homes that cost almost $300K for $150K.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
You saved me having to write basically the same thing. In central FL you get hipsters buying wood constructed older homes that will get wrecked if there's a major hurricane. Much better off buying a site-built "McMansion" or whatever you want to call it that's constructed to modern building standards. The ones in the video look bad, sure, but she cherry picked the worst examples she could find.

I actually just closed on a older home. Built 1960 3br/2bath, Nice big backyard in a good neighborhood but it was in my budget. House has good bones and is in overall good shape but me and my wife want to update it to today's standards $$$$$. If I could have purchased a newer home with a modern design in my budget, I would in a heart beat. You're not touching a newer single family in a good Neighborhood in Jersey for under 800k.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I actually just closed on a older home. Built 1960 3br/2bath, Nice big backyard in a good neighborhood but it was in my budget. House has good bones and is in overall good shape but me and my wife want to update it to today's standards $$$$$. If I could have purchased a newer home with a modern design in my budget, I would in a heart beat. You're not touching a newer single family in a good Neighborhood in Jersey for under 800k.

I can imagine... Congrats on the house, man! :)

The last house I owned was actually an 80s modular home with finished basement and in some ways I prefer it to my current house. The basement in particular was awesome and I miss having one. It also had better separation of space. Having everything "open plan" is overrated IMO, especially with kids, but you do the best with what you have.

Any home is going to need stuff updated or repaired from time to time regardless. Just the way it is. It'll be work and $$$ no doubt but everything you do will be to your specifications and you can really make it your own.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Not to mention i would be weary of old electrical wiring.

We aren't talking about knob and tube era electrical wiring. As long as it has a breaker panel instead of a fuse box, the wiring is all the same.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
As long as it has a breaker panel instead of a fuse box, the wiring is all the same.

So long as the breaker isn't a Federal Pacific and the wiring isn't aluminum.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

McMansions are 3000+ Feet.

"McMansion" usually doesn't refer to site built homes.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
McMansions are 3000+ Feet.

"McMansion" usually doesn't refer to site built homes.

I meant the year built 2000 and up and I wasn't talking about that pre-built lego shit in that video. I've never seen anything like that being built around my way. I'm talking about building a house from the foundation up, not stacking frame blocks. I didn't know that was what McMansion meant.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I live in a brick house built in the 70s. I had to replace the roof last year but other than standard maintenance there's no reason it shouldn't outlive me.

Assuming solid foundations, brick is KING. It's king here anyway, almost every dwelling is brick with the odd timber cladding place but they're usually old places. Double brick? even better but then the place is probably 100 years old.