Diminished function - the human brain vs technology

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
There is no winning. It's all about who can be the funniest and who laughs at your "jokes"

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Absolutely - and pub quizzes are riddled with cheats.

I keep an eye out for this and haven't noticed anyone cheating at the pub I do trivia at.

There is no winning. It's all about who can be the funniest and who laughs at your "jokes"

That's true. My team has definitely gotten fake points for funny answers.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
stevie you ever been in a pub quiz

Hell yeah, I'm in a team and we play every Sunday evening. Cool as fuck, right?

I keep an eye out for this and haven't noticed anyone cheating at the pub I do trivia at.

It's the students that are fuckers for it. During the endless university holidays they all come back home to live with their parents and while they're home meet up with their old high school friends. Now they're in academia a quiz seems like a valid meeting point for them to pretend they're grown ups. Five minutes into the quiz they realise that being intelligent but only 5 years old gives them absolutely fuck all general knowledge and they get pissed off.

Out come the phones.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
It's the students that are fuckers for it. During the endless university holidays they all come back home to live with their parents and while they're home meet up with their old high school friends. Now they're in academia a quiz seems like a valid meeting point for them to pretend they're grown ups. Five minutes into the quiz they realise that being intelligent but only 5 years old gives them absolutely fuck all general knowledge and they get pissed off.

Out come the phones.

Ah OK. The area where I go doesn't really have college kids for some reason - there's a big college like 15 minutes away. Most of the people are in their 30s and 40s.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
TL;DR: technology as a whole has dumbed humans down to the docility of Brahman cows, self-invested in the sacredness of their own existences.

I often thought about it, all this potential these machines have, mostly through their irresistible appeal on kids. Like a smartphone, providing them these vital illusions of endless freedom, independence even power. All of it wasted: After an intensive, longstanding usage of a smartphone's interface, what motor skill did they learned? How to wipe efficiently with their fingers on a plane synthetic surface. Idk, maybe it'll turn out to be a terrific aid finding the G. spot, but otherwise it's squandered time.

Now imagine those kids would have to perform a Busoni piano exercise each time they wanted to shot another stupid selfie? Or play Eine kleine Nachtmusik to browse subsequent fb pages? Or speak fluently Farsi to turn it on? Instead of moronically wiping from one side to another? They'd do it, they'd do all of it and more just to satisfy their thirst to sent a mindless three and a half character message to whomever. I wonder what all these kids form the past cellphone generation do now with their spectacular skill of tapping out short messages through alphanumerical keypads. Squeeze zits?