Strange sound problem with KOF97 cart

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
Hi All,

My KOF 97 cart works fine when the machine first boots, there will be no issues no matter how long I play it. If I press the game select button (it is a 6 slot) the next games will work fine also. However, when I cycle back to KOF 97, the sound will be completely gone & also, if I press the game select button after that, the sound will be gone on all other games aswell! Any ideas? It is strange that the sound works fine at the beginning but then disappears...

I dont think there is a problem with my 6 slot as the same problem happens with my 2 slot aswell. Also, it only seems to happen with KOF 97, all the other games in my collection work fine. The cart is not a bootleg.

Thanks!

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Have you tested the cart out in another Neo board yet?

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
Tried it on a 6 slot & a 2 slot and the problem is the same on both. Both of these boards work perfectly with any other games so I'm pretty sure the problem is with the cart itself. Its just so strange that the sound works perfect with this cart for as long as I play then turns off after a game select cycle, affecting all the other games in the process!?

Last edited:

NexusX

Astra Superstar
I would do the standard troubleshooting of changing the slots the 97 is in just to check. Then reflow all of the solder joints on the cart boards. If that does not help things then I would move my attention to the PCM and M1 chips. Other members could probably give you more detailed suggestions after that.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Does it make a difference if you change the cart order? What BIOS are you running?

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
I would do the standard troubleshooting of changing the slots the 97 is in just to check. Then reflow all of the solder joints on the cart boards. If that does not help things then I would move my attention to the PCM and M1 chips. Other members could probably give you more detailed suggestions after that.

OK great, I will try those suggestions. I had quick look at the solder joints and they look ok but I will do a more detailed check later.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
Does it make a difference if you change the cart order? What BIOS are you running?

Unfortunately no, the problem is there no matter what the order of carts. The 2 slot has Uni Bios 3.3, the 6 slot has the stock bios (I'm not sure what version that is)