Metal Slug 3 AES label discoloration

peterr928

Another Striker,
20 Year Member
I recently bought this copy of MS3 and I'm puzzled by the discoloration on the left side of the label that wasn't shown in the listing pics. There appears to be a yellow tint going down the left side of the label, including the right edge of the vertical blue stripe as well as the top Neo Geo logo.

Aside from this the label looks correct, with the right gloss, etc. The insert and manual look to be 100%, the seller said to have had this in his collection for several years and he had perfect feedback with other high dollar AES games in his history.

I know crooked and double labels are common, but I've never seen one misprinted like this on a legit cart. I'm curious if anyone else has seen anything like this.

IMG_20190405_172142.jpgIMG_20190405_123032.jpg

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
I don't have an AES Metal Slug 3 to compare your picture to, but your label looks like a misprinted fake to me - the colors are off and the printing looks grainy. Interested in what more knowledgable AES folks on here have to say about it.

peterr928

Another Striker,
20 Year Member
I don't have an AES Metal Slug 3 to compare your picture to, but your label looks like a misprinted fake to me - the colors are off and the printing looks grainy. Interested in what more knowledgable AES folks on here have to say about it.

Thanks for your input. Hoping someone who has this cart is able to compare the label to theirs. Here's a better pic of the full label.

IMG_20190405_172450.jpg

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Looks like the registration was off, this can happen pretty easily in offset printing, it looks like the yellow plate was a little off center.

Whether it's real or not, I can't say. Registration problems are more likely in professional printing than consumer inkjets and laser machines though.

Also iirc I remember people complaining about the print quality of the US Slug 3s back when they were new, although I've never seen one in person.

Last edited:

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I have owned a English & JPN copy of Slug 3, both had the same looking stuff with label as your copy. My Sengoku 3 english was like this also. I think it was like GohanX said print quality wasn't the best on these. These games I had came from the Neo store.

Last edited:

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I've seen a similar oddity on a legit Last Blade label before. If anything I think it helps prove its authenticity, if someone was going to bootleg a high dollar cart they'd have made sure the label was "perfect".

Last edited:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Any old threads around as a reference to this? I know there was an initial release and then the re-release..Do both releases have this label quality?
An old reference to this abnormality would make future purchaser's of this game confident that what they have is legit?
Any current owner of this game could be kind enough to snap a photo and tag it to this thread?
That label leaves a lot of empty space around it too.
BB

peterr928

Another Striker,
20 Year Member
I didn't notice these replies until just now. Thanks for the helpful info. I had a Japanese slug 3 2nd run back when it was new and I didn't notice any printing irregularities. I ended up sending this cart off to Shawn for neostore verification just to be sure to have it documented if I sell it down the road. I also recall some complaints about label quality around then but I haven't found any threads.

Last edited:

peterr928

Another Striker,
20 Year Member
I've seen a similar oddity on a legit Last Blade label before. If anything I think it helps prove its authenticity, if someone was going to bootleg a high dollar cart they'd have made sure the label was "perfect".

I was thinking the same thing...

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
yeah my Garou MOTW cart has the almost exact same label issue. Ive opened it and confirmed its 100% legit. just another case of SNK weirdness.

peterr928

Another Striker,
20 Year Member
Thanks to those who responded. I wound up sending it out to Shawn for authentication soon after receiving it, he verified the authenticity. Hoping this thread is useful to others trying to find information on the strange labels from this era including the couple other games mentioned.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
That's great because I questioned it's legitimacy,as I don't ever recall seeing that,most likely not noticing and never read about it and I've had several copies of a lot of AES pass my hands BUT this was pre-conversions......
BB

Thanks to those who responded. I wound up sending it out to Shawn for authentication soon after receiving it, he verified the authenticity. Hoping this thread is useful to others trying to find information on the strange labels from this era including the couple other games mentioned.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
https://imgur.com/gallery/udEEghx

From my Japanese MOTW, same issue, more minor. Slight offset issue in printing.

I’ve opened the cart (years ago) and checked every solder point and every chip...all OG, all perfect. Manual / reg card / everything else is perfect minus the left side of the label.

So yeah, def something that did happen on AES stuff, at least in my opinion

sayadin1315

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
cec34fc657c5002fd1b2b4f577c80758.jpg

I’m pretty sure it’s a legit cart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk