Capcom Arcade Ports: Lets talk about em.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
For those of you who have played the majority of the ports for these games...

1. Strider
2. Final Fight
3. Ghosts n Goblins
4. Ghouls n Ghosts

What physical release port would you consider the closet to arcade perfect? Let's keep this reasonable. No X68000 or FM Towns. At those price points, you might as well buy the Arcade PCB.

From the small amount of research I have conducted, it seems like Capcom Classics Collection on PS2 or PSP is probably the best bet overall.

However, there are a few more options for GnG and Strider.

1. PS1 jp import for Strider 1

2. Capcom Generations Story of Arthur on Saturn and PS1. The PS1 version is suppose to have issues being too dark, which is easily fixed by turning the brightness up on your tv.

3. Super Grafx GnG. Which I've heard from some is even better that the official PCB.

As far as Final Fight is concerned, the Sega CD port is suppose to be solid, but the Capcom Classics is the most faithful port.

You all think the mentioned ports offer anything that would make them worth seeking out? For example, faithful gameplay, sound, color palettes, or is the Capcom Classics the way to go?

Last edited:

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
3. I've got both, wouldn't say the port is better. The graphics are more detailed on the arcade.

I've enjoyed the Saturn collection of GnG.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
The issue with Capcom Classics Collection is the bilinear filtering. Unfortunately this was put into place for a lot of PS2 arcade ports/emulator collections during the PS2 era

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Just use groovymame, it wrecks all the other options.

All ports that I know of Final Gay have like 3 frames of lag iirc due to vsync ( beat em up collection on pc might have less) and vastly different enemy spawns. At that point might as well mame.

Sega CD port of Final Gay is decent for the ost and time but not 1:1. Rapid fire/button presses are delayed due to the genesis hardware making the infinite punch a lot harder. Hitboxes are a little different too. Spawns are also limited by loading, most notably the hit squad. You don't fight all of them at the same time.

In any case you can play the ost on mame+arcade with a mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGnL2Kzz68Q

Last edited:

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
The Gameboy Color got the only decent port of Ghosts N Goblins that isn’t running emulated. It got an FPGA recreation on the MiSTer recently that’s pretty much arcade-exact.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Just use groovymame

This is, as always, the best option. All ports make some kind of sacrifice or just don't have enough options to match.

For physical collections, Final Fight is on the recent Capcom Belt Action collection as well. It's been a long time since I played the Capcom Classics version so I'll let someone else do the comparison.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
This is, as always, the best option. All ports make some kind of sacrifice or just don't have enough options to match.

It's always an interpretation of the source material tailored for the targeted hardware, spotting all the differences is part of the fun, especially if you know the original by hard.

3. Ghosts n Goblins

3. Super Grafx GnG. Which I've heard from some is even better that the official PCB.

IIRC, there is no Goblins port for the SG and the Ghosts port, though excellent, is no mach for the PCB, especially when comparing the audio. It also has less responsive controls.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
1. Strider
The Strider 1 disc included with Strider 2 on Playstation is the best version of the game.

2. Final Fight
The best port is the XBLA one. No it's not physical, but don't be a faget this version is great.

3. Ghosts n Goblins
4. Ghouls n Ghosts
Dunno, was never a big fan of this series.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
3. Ghosts n Goblins
4. Ghouls n Ghosts
Dunno, was never a big fan of this series.

oh christ gohan what else you gonna tell me, you been sleeping with my farting girlfriend

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've been meaning to give the series another go now that I'm better at video games. Back in the day I got the Genesis game and enjoyed it, but it was way too brutally hard for a young Gohan so I never bothered with the other entries in the series. I've still got that Genny cart, I picked up the SFC one a while back, and I probably have some others on various Capcom collections. I have played quite a bit of the Wonderswan one of all versions, it's rad as shit although the sound is weird.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Strider PS1 as mentioned is a great port
The GnG port on saturn capcom generations is damn well good enough and the genesis one, while a bit off in color, plays fantastic and has an easy mode for the newbs.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
X68000 Strider isn't even expensive.

It's arcade-exact too, other than some extra sprite flicker with the first boss.

X68000 Final Fight and Ghouls N Ghosts are not only arcade-exact, but have the option of using Roland MIDI music as well - they're awesome!

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
strider is almost arcade perfect, except it has black bars at the top and bottom.
the constant HUH HUH HUH sound in the japanese versions are annoying though.

Last edited:

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
strider is almost arcade perfect, except it has black bars at the top and bottom.
the constant HUH HUH HUH sound in the japanese versions are annoying though.

Fortunately the HUH HUH HUH sound in the X68000 port can be eliminated by filling the SH01.ADP file with zeroes.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
X68000 Strider isn't even expensive.

Yeah, but the cost of importing an x68000 is absurd. Plus you subject yourself to dealing with magnetic media.

I'm really going to have to start working on a dedicated ROM box one of these days. It does seem like the best option.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Yeah, but the cost of importing an x68000 is absurd. Plus you subject yourself to dealing with magnetic media.

No arguments on the importing cost - a base X68000 model costs around $300-$500. But you don't have to deal with magnetic media - just hook an SCSI2SD device up to the external SCSI connection on the back of the computer and you have the entire games library running off a micro SD card.

Overall, your final cost is around the same as a Neo Geo AES plus Neo SD.

Last edited:

Yoshi

20 Year Member
This thread confounds me. If you're going to play it, why does it need to be physical? If you're not going to play it, why does it need to be arcade perfect?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yoshi asking the hard questions!

oh christ gohan what else you gonna tell me, you been sleeping with my farting girlfriend

When I got home yesterday I threw Ghouls and Ghosts into my Genesis. The first stage was a lot easier than I remember and I got past it with no difficulties. "Ha!" I exclaimed. "This game poses no threat to adult Gohan!" Then I got my ass kicked on the second stage. Fun times!

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
This thread confounds me. If you're going to play it, why does it need to be physical? If you're not going to play it, why does it need to be arcade perfect?

I hate digital bullshit. Especially on these new consoles that probably don't have the build quality to last 20 years.

It doesn't have to be arcade perfect, just as close to the arcade as possible. Most versions have major flaws that don't make them anywhere near the same league as the arcade. Most notably downgraded graphics, sound, and entire stages missing.

Opposed to games from the saturn and dreamcast era, where games are arguably better a lot of the time on the home port.

Digital is total bullshit. I don't support it at all if possible. It's just a way for publishers to charge you as much as possible, for as little effort as possible.

Buying digital there's no guarantee my game will be available to play 10 or 20 years down the road. If the hard drive dies, and the market is down then you're fucked. You would have to buy the game again to play it. I only want to buy the game once.

That's exactly what they want on digital. For you to buy the game as many times as possible.

Last edited:

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener

FWIW, I like exploring the home ports of a popular arcade game to see what's unique with each of them.

With Ghouls N Ghosts, the Sega Master System version has shops and different armor powers that makes that version unique. The Commodore 64 version has completely different - but still very good - music composed by Tim Fallon.

With Strider, the PC Engine version adds anime cutscenes and an additional level. The NES version is a totally different game with multiple areas to freely explore along with unlockable abilities.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
FWIW, I like exploring the home ports of a popular arcade game to see what's unique with each of them.

With Ghouls N Ghosts, the Sega Master System version has shops and different armor powers that makes that version unique. The Commodore 64 version has completely different - but still very good - music composed by Tim Fallon.

With Strider, the PC Engine version adds anime cutscenes and an additional level. The NES version is a totally different game with multiple areas to freely explore along with unlockable abilities.

Yeah the NES Strider is actually based on the manga, which was released before the game. Wish I could read it.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I hate digital bullshit. Especially on these new consoles that probably don't have the build quality to last 20 years.

It doesn't have to be arcade perfect, just as close to the arcade as possible. Most versions have major flaws that don't make them anywhere near the same league as the arcade. Most notably downgraded graphics, sound, and entire stages missing.

Opposed to games from the saturn and dreamcast era, where games are arguably better a lot of the time on the home port.

Digital is total bullshit. I don't support it at all if possible. It's just a way for publishers to charge you as much as possible, for as little effort as possible.

Buying digital there's no guarantee my game will be available to play 10 or 20 years down the road. If the hard drive dies, and the market is down then you're fucked. You would have to buy the game again to play it. I only want to buy the game once.

That's exactly what they want on digital. For you to buy the game as many times as possible.
Console problems, other than physical retailers jacking up the prices for everyone.

edit: Please don't waste your time writing up a list of antiquated "but PC" talking points. Although, admittedly, not all of these are available legally on PC... yet.

That I get, and there have been some fascinating additions to "sub-par" ports.

Last edited: