Movie theaters have nothing anymore, how we got here

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yeah, edit that shit and post nonsense because you know you don't have a leg to stand on.

You invent imaginary, completely misplaced outrage on behalf of people who were never outraged and don't want you speaking for them in the first place (the David Lee Roth "scatman' scandal). But you can't comprehend the real outrage of actual human beings right in front of you, in person at the movie theater. Try to return to reality, you disconnected pod person. Rejoin the human race.

Enjoy paying to see a crummy commercial.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I dunno I liked a bunch of movies in the 90's.

How we got here?
Everybody just wants to make a quick buck but nobody wants to do any actual work to get it. Thought and creativity are work too.

On youtube I see new a movies trailers for 2019 and all they talk about are comic based and reboots.

Then it seems like stuffs only in the theater for a few weeks then to dvd.

I see headlines for movie reviews in my news feed then it seems like its in the check line out several days later.

I don't see several movies a week like I used to and now when I decide to see something and have the time it's in limbo land and I can't see it anywhere.

Then all the streamers pretty much just make their own tv shows and only have movies I own or have seen several times.

I get in the mood to see different types of movies all the time from mindless fluff to indie stuff but everything lately just seems like total trash.

Its so easy to find out about new releases too these days but I've just totally lost interest.

At least TV has started making decent stuff again the last few years, better than that reality show crap.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Our goal is to get to the drive-in this summer.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
You are paying for everything that comes after the lights come down, asshole. The fact you can't comprehend common social courtesy is very telling. Once they turn off the lights, shut the fuck up. Or stay home. Another wonderful option. You and clueless elderly women are the only people who don't understand why you talking in the theater is annoying to anyone.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
I didn't know anyone cared so much about the commercials.

I'll make sure to talk over them in the future.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

by extension then, you must feel obligated to talk loudly whenever there is a scene with a can of coca cola or pepsi, a mars bar, whatchamacalit, snickers, milky way, or Cameron's dad's Ferrari 250 GT, because like, it's just a commercial with no entertainment value.

Above all, you must be consistent in your philosophy and true to your conviction.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
by extension then, you must feel obligated to talk loudly whenever there is a scene with a can of coca cola or pepsi, a mars bar, whatchamacalit, snickers, milky way, or Cameron's dad's Ferrari 250 GT, because like, it's just a commercial with no entertainment value.

Above all, you must be consistent in your philosophy and true to your conviction.

I am consistent.

I don't watch commercials on television. I fast-forward them. If they are live, I pay little to no attention and do other things. Most years, i couldn't even tell you what advertisements were on the Super Bowl.

And for the record, I wasn't even talking loudly. I was using my indoor voice at below-baseline while some comic book movie trailer was blaring full throttle. But some comic nerd took offense because he had waited his whole life to see this particular advertisement.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
You are paying for everything that comes after the lights come down, asshole. The fact you can't comprehend common social courtesy is very telling. Once they turn off the lights, shut the fuck up. Or stay home. Another wonderful option. You and clueless elderly women are the only people who don't understand why you talking in the theater is annoying to anyone.

I'm pretty sure the house lights were still on (though dimmed) and people were still filing in.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I am consistent.

I don't watch commercials on television. I fast-forward them. If they are live, I pay little to no attention and do other things. Most years, i couldn't even tell you what advertisements were on the Super Bowl.

And for the record, I wasn't even talking loudly. I was using my indoor voice at below-baseline while some comic book movie trailer was blaring full throttle. But some comic nerd took offense because he had waited his whole life to see this particular advertisement.

What movie were you there to see?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Back to ranting about bad movie experiences. I previously mentioned how it would have been cool to see "Get Out" in the theatres due to the reaction of the audience.

You know what movie wasn't cool to see in the theatre? Gran Torino (surrounded by a bunch of old white people). They laughed at every one of Clint Eastwood's racial epithets. Sure, I even laughed at uncomfortable juxtaposition of the first one, and maybe even the second. But by the 20th time (and no I wasn't actually counting), it was getting old. Enough so that I felt ashamed that I had laughed at any of them. But the people around me were still yucking it up.

It was essentially like that scene in the Bruce Lee biopic where they go to the Jerry Lewis film.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
What movie were you there to see?

I have no idea. Maybe Indy 4? or Iron Man III? The X-Men Reboot? Episode VII or a Hobbit Installment? Pretty sure it was something along those lines.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Aren't like all the trailers like online?

-That's another thing I hate. That they run ads before trailers on youtube. WTF? I have to watch an ad to watch an Ad? Buck that.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I have no idea. Maybe Indy 4? or Iron Man III? The X-Men Reboot? Episode VII or a Hobbit Installment? Pretty sure it was something along those lines.

So like, the one thing you took away from that movie wasn't the movie itself, but that some guy told you to be quiet?

I wonder what the other guy took away from the movie, and if he's gone online to discuss your disruption, yet forgetting what he saw.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
So like, the one thing you took away from that movie wasn't the movie itself, but that some guy told you to be quiet?

I wonder what the other guy took away from the movie, and if he's gone online to discuss your disruption, yet forgetting what he saw.

I can't remember what movie it was. Remember, I'm there for the movie, not the advertisements. Anything that happens during the advertisements is disconnected from the experience.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Back to ranting about bad movie experiences. I previously mentioned how it would have been cool to see "Get Out" in the theatres due to the reaction of the audience.

You know what movie wasn't cool to see in the theatre? Gran Torino (surrounded by a bunch of old white people). They laughed at every one of Clint Eastwood's racial epithets. Sure, I even laughed at uncomfortable juxtaposition of the first one, and maybe even the second. But by the 20th time (and no I wasn't actually counting), it was getting old. Enough so that I felt ashamed that I had laughed at any of them. But the people around me were still yucking it up.

It was essentially like that scene in the Bruce Lee biopic where they go to the Jerry Lewis film.

Hold up... Are you saying we weren't supposed to laugh at Gran Torino?!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
65908466.jpg

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
You know what I miss about theaters? The ads for Fathom Events. Those were goddamned amazing.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I will say that the pre movie ads are getting out of hand. Personally, I like previews in the theater, it gives you that large screen and nice sound system to see them on. Small screen previews ofted feel much different in the theater.

...but this damn advertisements. 3 Coke commercials, some Chevy commercials, Skittles commercials...one after the next. The last movie we went to see was Wreck it Ralph 2 (god...uggg) and the ad/previews were pushing 45 min before the movie finally started, it was insane.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I will say that the pre movie ads are getting out of hand. Personally, I like previews in the theater, it gives you that large screen and nice sound system to see them on. Small screen previews ofted feel much different in the theater.

...but this damn advertisements. 3 Coke commercials, some Chevy commercials, Skittles commercials...one after the next. The last movie we went to see was Wreck it Ralph 2 (god...uggg) and the ad/previews were pushing 45 min before the movie finally started, it was insane.

This is why I am thankful for Alamo Drafthouse - otherwise, I wouldn't go to the theater anymore.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Honestly I miss seeing movie trailers. There are no trailers here before the movie, the movie just starts. I'm out of the loop in many ways of modern entertainment - which is great for me - but I wouldn't mind seeing movie trailers again. It's so weird, there aren't even any commercials for movies on TV. If it gets to 45 minutes like smoke says then that's outrageous, but five minutes for what's coming up is OK.

I still remember how excited I was after seeing the Episode I trailer at the theater.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Honestly I miss seeing movie trailers. There are no trailers here before the movie, the movie just starts. I'm out of the loop in many ways of modern entertainment - which is great for me - but I wouldn't mind seeing movie trailers again. It's so weird, there aren't even any commercials for movies on TV. If it gets to 45 minutes like smoke says then that's outrageous, but five minutes for what's coming up is OK.

I still remember how excited I was after seeing the Episode I trailer at the theater.

I'm not shitting on the time...I kept lighting up my phone to see how long we had been sitting there. Having 2 ten year old kids and a 6 year old, they were getting pretty frigidity by the time the movie was wrapping up. This was at an AMC theater, they seem to be far worse than some other ones we have in the area.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Did you take your kids to see Coco? That was some awful shit. Commercials, a bunch of trailers, that shitty Olaf short, it was nearly an hour before Coco actually started and the kids were getting antsy. Thankfully the movie itself was good.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

I don’t see these when I go to the movies. Maybe way before the movie starts, before the lights dim, but not as part of the pre-movie attractions.