Movie theaters have nothing anymore, how we got here

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
But you liked the new IT? haha okay, chief.

Haha? I said I was hanging for it.

For the record, I enjoyed it for what it was. Nothing on the original miniseries though, that dripped atmosphere whereas the remake was pretty base level. I’m keen to see part 2.

Agreed. Certainly shits all over that made for TV garbage everyone thought was awesome back in the day.

Each to their own. I saw the original IT as a child when it first came out. Needless to say it gave me nightmares. That first scene when Pennywise is hiding between the hanging sheets... 8 year old me choked.

Last edited:

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Only new movie I'm stoked for is Memory: the origins of Alien, which is showing here today and tomorrow at the Night Visions horror movie festival, will try to get tickets for tomorrow.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Haha? I said I was hanging for it.

For the record, I enjoyed it for what it was. Nothing on the original miniseries though, that dripped atmosphere whereas the remake was pretty base level. I’m keen to see part 2.

Each to their own. I saw the original IT as a child when it first came out. Needless to say it gave me nightmares. That first scene when Pennywise is hiding between the hanging sheets... 8 year old me choked.

Your appreciation of it is based on nostalgia. We all thought it was great back then! I was 13 at the time and IT was a big fucking deal. Sadly, the only thing that holds up now is Tim Curry's performance. Other than that, it's dated horribly, whereas the source material has not. Try to watch it again objectively in 2019. The recent movie has problems as well but succeeds more than it fails. However, it's a cliff notes version at best. IT is one of King's finest books and I don't think any adaptation will truly do it justice.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Agreed. Certainly shits all over that made for TV garbage everyone thought was awesome back in the day.

The TV series was what I measured it against, and I thought it was far superior to that.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I used to go to the movies at least once or twice a month but eventually grew tired of it. Ticket prices went through the roof over here ten years ago and now are at an all-time high, mostly due to costly technical enhancements that in my opinion don't add a lot to the experience. It's not that I couldn't afford them, just don't want to blow lotsa € on something I don't really like.

Buying movies on DVD/BR and eventually streaming them (Netflix, etc.) has put an end to my movie going days. Of course it's not the same than watching a movie on a huge theater screen but that's an acceptable tradeoff for me, I always was more interested in the story and atmosphere of a movie than its presentation anyway.

And yes, 1986, what a year.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I used to go to the movies at least once or twice a month but eventually grew tired of it. Ticket prices went through the roof over here ten years ago and now are at an all-time high, mostly due to costly technical enhancements that in my opinion don't add a lot to the experience. It's not that I couldn't afford them, just don't want to blow lotsa € on something I don't really like.

Buying movies on DVD/BR and eventually streaming them (Netflix, etc.) has put an end to my movie going days. Of course it's not the same than watching a movie on a huge theater screen but that's an acceptable tradeoff for me, I always was more interested in the story and atmosphere of a movie than its presentation anyway.

And yes, 1986, what a year.

You're not alone. At one time, there was no substitution for going to a movie, later we had VHS available to the masses. It was highly watered down and many still wanted the experience a movie theater could give. DVD made a near cenimatic experience available...for the right price. If you wanted a 65" or above 16:9 display back in the late 90's/early 2000's, you were going to pay dearly for it no matter which option you chose.

Now? You can buy a HD set so big, it will substitute for a tanning bed and only set you back under $2K, if you want 70"+...you can have that as well. You can also get a fairly decent quality sound system for under $1K, and go to either a BluRay player or streaming service for high quality HD movies.

Personally, I'm more than happy to not go to a movie theater anymore, too much hassle, too much cost, concessions are too much, other people suck. I can rent a HD movie and watch it at home with the best seats in the house on a system that cost less than $3K.

Last edited:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
You're not alone. At one time, there was no substitution for going to a movie, later we had VHS available to the masses. It was highly watered down and many still wanted the experience a movie theater could give. DVD made a near cenimatic experience available...for the right price. If you wanted a 65" or above 16:9 display back in the late 90's/early 2000's, you were going to pay dearly for it no matter which option you chose.

Now? You can buy a HD set so big, it will substitute for a tanning bed and only set you back under $2K, if you want 70"+...you can have that as well. You can also get a fairly decent quality sound system for under $1K, and go to either a BluRay player or streaming service for high quality HD movies.

Personally, I'm more than happy to not go to a movie theater anymore, too much hassle, too much cost, concessions are too much, other people suck. I can rent a HD movie and watch it at home with the best seats in the house on a system that cost less than $3K.

Don't forget around $500-$1500 you could get a decent projector as well.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member

I don't even have an elaborate home theater setup, just a simple Philips HD flatty, one of those Amazon Firestick things and a Xbone for DVDs and BRs. The builtin speakers aren't very good but do the trick in most cases, and if not, I could always connect the output to my stereo amp that stands right next to it.

Given the amount of time I spend with watching movies, anything bigger would be a waste of money.

That said, I do miss the experience of going to the movies, movie theaters used to be magical places for me, all the more as the two big ones in my hometown also had great arcades where I spent way more time than inside a theater.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Personally, I'm more than happy to not go to a movie theater anymore ... other people suck.
This is the big one for me. Never mind people talking or the light that hits your peripheral vision meaning yet another asshole is on their motherfuckingcocksucking phone. At one of the last theater experiences I had in the US, I had some douchebag sitting two seats to my right who thought he was conducting the fucking orchestra. Every time the movie's theme would start up, this wormy cunt would start waving his arms around like he was onstage at the shitsucking LA Philharmonic. FFFFFFFFUUUUUUuuuuuuck theaters.

I have no home theater system. Just a regular flatscreen HDTV with just the speakers that came built into it, and even that is infinitely superior to going to a theater and suffering all the idiots.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Your appreciation of it is based on nostalgia.

I won’t deny that. Nostalgia is certainly the driving force behind my appreciation of plenty of shitty horror films. It’s a good feeling.

Regarding movie cinemas, I agree, I only really go these days to take my kids to a Pixar film and that is a packaged experience in itself; tears, laughs, screams, spilt drinks / popcorn, toilet dashes, running off...

I’d rather watch movies at home too.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I have a dedicated home theater we still go to the movies a couple times a year. I usually wait a couple weeks after the release date, usually only 5 people in the theater by then. They also have nice luxury lounger seats.

Anyone ever try those movies passes membership? I think they are like $10 a month but you can watch as many movies you want.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I have a dedicated home theater we still go to the movies a couple times a year. I usually wait a couple weeks after the release date, usually only 5 people in the theater by then. They also have nice luxury lounger seats.

Anyone ever try those movies passes membership? I think they are like $10 a month but you can watch as many movies you want.

That's one thing I do, I rarely if ever go the first and most of the time second week a movie is out.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
One time, A dude behind me gave me shit for talking during the trailers.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Right now, we are trying to figure out if a 3.5 year old will be able to handle Frozen 2.

I guess if we go to a pre-noon Weekday showing, we don't have much to worry about.

People pay to see the trailers. Not everyone has your value system.

I know. I was shocked.

Personally, I feel bad for anyone who pays to watch an advertisement.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I know. I was shocked.

Personally, I feel bad for anyone who pays to watch an advertisement.
Go fuck yourself and stay home then. You can talk all you want instead of fucking up other peoples' day. You were shocked someone got mad at you talking during the coming attractions? What might be someone's very first glimpse at a movie they've been waiting years for? More evidence of how disconnected from reality and humanity you are becoming.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I'm like the rest of the old people here. I only go to movies a few times a year, usually for a star wars movie.

why?

1.) There used to be a bare-bones theatre within walking distance of my place. It got absorbed by the local medical clinic. I liked it because it was cheap, didn't have fancy seats or 3D. The closest theatres are :a) in a place thats a pain in the ass to park. b.) has all the frills that I don't want to pay for. c) are a 20 minute drive away.

2.) I don't need reclining chairs, a full bar, 3D, to enjoy a fucking movie. Give me a big screen and decent sound and I'm happy. I don't want to pay extra for that shit either.

3.) I just don't care about any of the films being played anymore. When I was in my 20s-early 30s, I followed what was going on. I have no idea now. I don't watch movies like I used to.

4.) What happened to indies? Are they even being made anymore? Is it because Ebert isn't talking about them on his show anymore (yes, I know he's not around anymore). Even the Lagoon in mpls. which used to show indie movies has sold out and plays mainline stuff now.

Like a lot of you olde-tymers, I don't have a fancy home theatre setup. Just a 40" HD hooked up to a receiver and some old ass speakers. I don't even use the receiver that much. Usually its the tinny assed speakers on my TV. Netflix and a PS3 for Blu-Ray/DVD play.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Go fuck yourself and stay home then. You can talk all you want instead of fucking up other peoples' day. You were shocked someone got mad at you talking during the coming attractions? What might be someone's very first glimpse at a movie they've been waiting years for?.

BESURETODRINKYOUROVALTINE

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
BESURETODRINKYOUROVALTINE

Yeah, edit that shit and post nonsense because you know you don't have a leg to stand on.

You invent imaginary, completely misplaced outrage on behalf of people who were never outraged and don't want you speaking for them in the first place (the David Lee Roth "scatman' scandal). But you can't comprehend the real outrage of actual human beings right in front of you, in person at the movie theater. Try to return to reality, you disconnected pod person. Rejoin the human race.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
(I also thought Get Out was way, waaay overrated (even by friends and associates))
The new breed of somewhat nihilistic directors is putting out decent to semi decent stuff. There is potential there