Movie theaters have nothing anymore, how we got here

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Maybe we will have a third (or is it 4th?) wave of disaster movies.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Actually horror is about the best it's ever been. There has been some awesome stuff in the last few years. It's just almost all streaming and Redbox.

Most new horror that I discover is already on home media. But then most movies that I want to see are on such limited theater releases that I would need to drive 3 hours to find a screen to watch. Meanwhile, every superhero or #metoo or #oscarssowhite macrame of wasted film gets to show in every cinema local to me. It has gotten to the point that I have given up trying to leave the house to watch movies.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Get Out is one movie that I would have liked to see in the theatres.

I'm sure the place went nuts when he impaled the one dude with the deer head.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Most new horror that I discover is already on home media. But then most movies that I want to see are on such limited theater releases that I would need to drive 3 hours to find a screen to watch. Meanwhile, every superhero or #metoo or #oscarssowhite macrame of wasted film gets to show in every cinema local to me. It has gotten to the point that I have given up trying to leave the house to watch movies.

I notice a lot of the best stuff gets dropped on whatever format with no advertising or actual reviews so it ends up being awhile till you actually hear about it. Which is usually word of mouth. It's not even on the front page of new releases on Netflix or whatever, it's like finding good music. You have to dig for that gem.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Get Out is one movie that I would have liked to see in the theatres.

I'm sure the place went nuts when he impaled the one dude with the deer head.

Yeah it did. "Us" was also a great theater experience. Unfortunately, Jordan Peele can only make so many movies.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Quantity is high, but the quality of movies is low. Take for example Birdbox, a forgettable acclaimed movie about Sandra Bullock auditioning for A Quiet Place, or Roma, which was 20 minutes of opening credits followed by an epiphany that no one wanted to actually watch it. Netflix is very willing to spend money to make movies, but there’s no quality control, and hence, dubious quantities of quality. But yet, lots of quantity, and eventually, they have to strike gold, eventually.

The quality is there... the problem is discoverability. In 1984, you saw trailers for every major movie in the theaters and you could go to the video store and read the back of every low-budget direct-to-video horror movie... it's how I (and I imagine a lot of people) discovered Evil Dead 2. Netflix and Amazon don't advertise 98% of the shit they make and even the DAY something comes out, you might not readily find it on Netflix's terrible menu system. You have to actively hunt for shit which only benefits the crazy cinemaphiles that would be doing that anyway.

There are definitely genres that are underserved (somebody mentioned sports movies... I miss gangster movies and good grossout comedies) but that's just a natural ebb and flow. People will eventually get sick of comic book movies like the rest of us. I personally feel we're in a new golden age for horror movies, children's films, documentaries and certain types of dramas.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Another thing no one mentioned is the cost of going to the movies. It is expensive at most places even for matinees. I'm sure this limits how often most people can afford to go. I went to an IMAX a few years ago and almost rolled over at the price. My local charges $6.50 a ticket still- though there is only 3 movies to choose from at a time. I imagine families taking their kids to a Disney movie have to pay over $100 for 4 tickets and popcorn. Most people can't do that often

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The quality is there... the problem is discoverability. In 1984, you saw trailers for every major movie in the theaters and you could go to the video store and read the back of every low-budget direct-to-video horror movie... it's how I (and I imagine a lot of people) discovered Evil Dead 2. Netflix and Amazon don't advertise 98% of the shit they make and even the DAY something comes out, you might not readily find it on Netflix's terrible menu system. You have to actively hunt for shit which only benefits the crazy cinemaphiles that would be doing that anyway.

There are definitely genres that are underserved (somebody mentioned sports movies... I miss gangster movies and good grossout comedies) but that's just a natural ebb and flow. People will eventually get sick of comic book movies like the rest of us. I personally feel we're in a new golden age for horror movies, children's films, documentaries and certain types of dramas.

Netflix originals are always on the headline space when you open the app. They pimp their own shit shamelessly.

But other movies, like for example, The Endless, which aren’t Netflix original, are hidden.

I’m talking about the Netflix originals, not the independent films that ended up on Netflix because their theater release never happened.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Netflix originals are always on the headline space when you open the app. They pimp their own shit shamelessly.

But other movies, like for example, The Endless, which aren’t Netflix original, are hidden.

I’m talking about the Netflix originals, not the independent films that ended up on Netflix because their theater release never happened.

Yes, agreed. I meant the movies they pick up, not their self-financed stuff.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Yes, agreed. I meant the movies they pick up, not their self-financed stuff.

They got some good original documentaries, though. I liked that Murder Mountain. Saw that name and had to watch it. It's fun to say out loud.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Old trailers are hella awesome. When I rip a movie, I rip all the trailers on the disc too.

Sometimes I like running just the trailers as "Background TV".

I think the trailers are often a better reflection as to the contemporary cultural values than the film itself.

Take for instance:

(The first real casualty of war is innocence. The first real movie about the war in Vietnam is Platoon".

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Another thing no one mentioned is the cost of going to the movies. It is expensive at most places even for matinees. I'm sure this limits how often most people can afford to go. I went to an IMAX a few years ago and almost rolled over at the price. My local charges $6.50 a ticket still- though there is only 3 movies to choose from at a time. I imagine families taking their kids to a Disney movie have to pay over $100 for 4 tickets and popcorn. Most people can't do that often

$2.00 Tuesdays

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
He also forgot never ending story, once upon time in america, romancing the stone,footloose, top secret! and of course my fav Breakin.

You forgot Ladybugs and Sidekicks HDR.

Also, the chevy chase movies. Vacation and Nothing but Trouble.

And Krull

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
You forgot Ladybugs and Sidekicks HDR.

Also, the chevy chase movies. Vacation and Nothing but Trouble.

And Krull

No, I didn’t forget. I either left them out on purpose because while entertaining, I don’t find them relevant anymore, including OUATIA, or in the case of Krull, remembered to include.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

AMC's A-List is $20 a month in most areas and allows you to see up to 3 films a week. Dolby Cinema, IMAX, 3D, 4D are all included; special events / screenings are not. If you only go occasionally, tickets are $5 on Tuesdays and you can get a popcorn and drink combo for another $5.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I don’t really bother with new movies, unless it’s produced by A24, or it’s something I’m hanging for (Halloween 2018, the new IT, Pet Semetary), it’s by a director I favour or it’s just one of those movies that everyone says “I must see”. I’m sure I miss plenty of great films, but I don’t have the time these days like I used to have, and I also watch way more TV than film.

The 80’s and early 90’s were where it’s at. I feel the same about music too. There’s just too much shit to filter these days, if I’m going to watch something, I want to know there is a good chance I’m going to enjoy it based on a few factors that align, I’m not taking a risk on a film if I think it’s going to be shit, except Birdbox, I took the risk on that and I was a fool, because it was trash. Get Out was shit too... generic horror film wins Oscar, what a joke.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I don’t really bother with new movies, unless it’s produced by A24, or it’s something I’m hanging for (Halloween 2018, the new IT, Pet Semetary), it’s by a director I favour or it’s just one of those movies that everyone says “I must see”. I’m sure I miss plenty of great films, but I don’t have the time these days like I used to have, and I also watch way more TV than film.

The 80’s and early 90’s were where it’s at. I feel the same about music too. There’s just too much shit to filter these days, if I’m going to watch something, I want to know there is a good chance I’m going to enjoy it based on a few factors that align, I’m not taking a risk on a film if I think it’s going to be shit, except Birdbox, I took the risk on that and I was a fool, because it was trash. Get Out was shit too... generic horror film wins Oscar, what a joke.
But you liked the new IT? haha okay, chief.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I'll be honest, I thought it was pretty solid. Not a masterpiece by any means, but it was pretty good.

Agreed. Certainly shits all over that made for TV garbage everyone thought was awesome back in the day.