Samurai Shodown Neo-Geo Collection (PS4/XB1/PC/SW)

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I wonder what the pricing will be like? maybe $40? that'd be okay I guess.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Meh. Are people still excited about shit emulator collections? Like how many times can you rebundle the same shit with little to no effort. Give me real ports with native 16:9, training modes arranged ost etc. Shit like this is just pathetic milking

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection was an underwhelming, minimal effort affair. I'm sure online will be handled the same way with only 2-3 games playable.

I'd bite instantly if it had VI. No VI, who cares.

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
In the PAX panel they said all games would have online and that they were spending a lot more time on this especially for the extras like the digital museum. What is interesting is that even with all modern consoles and PC listed, they kept saying more platform announcements were coming which leads me to believe this will be cross gen.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
the ACA arcade perfect versions are already on PS4 PSN Store. and Samurai Shodown VI port is there too. yea the collection has online but people are always paranoid and underrate SNK netcode.

also would that collection be uncensored like Code Mystics's Samurai Shodown V Special on PSN?

I dont mind them milking Samurai Shodown series, but porting and localizing Samurai Shodown RPG on current consoles would make them more money than this collection and Octopath Traveler COMBINED.

there are millions of more gamers that love RPGs more than fighting games, and a fighting RPG they never seen/played before would be at the top of their list of must haves.
Samurai Shodown RPG is better than Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII and tons of other overrated RPGs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CXxsijv-ek

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Samurai Shodown RPG is better than Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII and tons of other overrated RPGs.

How in the fuck would you know that? Do you read Japanese? No. You don't.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Better than Chrono Trigger? saner.... don't be a dipshit.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

This comment is such bullshit. The maps were small, the encounter rates were ridiculously high, and the run thru playtime was less than a day, and would have been 6 hours with a normal encounter rate and battle system that wasn't so dependent on special moves slowing down the interface.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
I dont mind them milking Samurai Shodown series, but porting and localizing Samurai Shodown RPG on current consoles would make them more money than this collection and Octopath Traveler COMBINED.

It would probably make less money than Life of Black Tiger...thus, making it a huge financial loss for SNK.

Am I missing something here? What is saner's obsession with SSRPG? Did Deuce start posting here again?

Jon

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
It would probably make less money than Life of Black Tiger...thus, making it a huge financial loss for SNK.

Am I missing something here? What is saner's obsession with SSRPG? Did Deuce start posting here again?

Jon
Suggesting Deuce could be saner is out of line. Wasn't even called for.

jeffkun34

20 Year Member
I’ve seen some hot takes before but Saner just won the “wtf did I just read” award for 2019.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I haven't played any arcade 'collections' since the PS2/Wii era really. (SNK 40th, Konami Anniversary, Capcom Belts, Darius, etc) I wonder if they are still throwing these together lazily with issues for a quick cash in

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Suggesting Deuce could be saner is out of line. Wasn't even called for.

I guess I can see how what I said could be misconstrued...sorry about that. Pretty sure Deuce hasn't been here since the incident where he tried to sell some Dreamcast games and Nightwolve waltzed in and ruined that.

Jon

jeffkun34

20 Year Member
Have you read any of his threads!?

I usually try to stay away from anything he has created so I only see the madness he posts in threads like these. I'm fully aware that he does not live on the same plane of existence as us.

Kid Fenris

Quiz Detective
10 Year Member
I haven't played any arcade 'collections' since the PS2/Wii era really. (SNK 40th, Konami Anniversary, Capcom Belts, Darius, etc) I wonder if they are still throwing these together lazily with issues for a quick cash in

Digital Eclipse's recent stuff is pretty good. The SNK 40th Anniversary Collection had a lot of neat extras and rare background materials, so it won't surprise me if they find equally obscure bonuses for this Samurai Shodown roundup.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Digital Eclipse releases are meh. Their arcade releases were shovelware on the 360 and haven't improved much over the years. The extras on the 40th collection are just a distraction masking an inferior release.

Compare Ikari Warriors on the 40th Anniversary to the Arcade Archives version and it just gets killed. Arcade Archives lets you tate on a TV, has more control options, and online leaderboards. The 40th edition has borked scaling in bordered fullscreen mode, causing it to flicker when the screen scrolls; it's very distracting after playing the Arcade Archives version.

Last edited:

Kid Fenris

Quiz Detective
10 Year Member
I felt bad for Digital Eclipse because the pre-release, review-copy version of the 40th Anniversary Collection ran fine, but they put out a release-day update that actually screwed up some of the games. A later patch supposedly fixed that, but I still see a little screen tearing when I play Crystalis.

This comment is such bullshit. The maps were small, the encounter rates were ridiculously high, and the run thru playtime was less than a day, and would have been 6 hours with a normal encounter rate and battle system that wasn't so dependent on special moves slowing down the interface.

I really looked forward to Samurai Shodown RPG because I liked the idea of a battle system driven by fighting-game motions, as if every party member was Sabin from FFVI. Then I played it and gave up after a few hours.

jeffkun34

20 Year Member
I just hope this fairs better than the standalone release of SSVSP which was horrible for online. I have a feeling people are just going to be playing SSII and SSVSP online. I'll gladly throw down with anyone in SSIII though.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member

Agreed.

Why stop there though? It's better than the following games:

Super Metroid
All Castlevanias
Super Mario 2
Bioshock
Zelda 2
Street fighter 1
Street fighter 2
Street fighter alpha
Street fighter alpha 3
The last blade
Samurai showdown 6
Zelda 4
New super Mario Bros
Animal crossing
Initial D
Virtua racing
Eternal champions
Final fantasy 8
Dragon warrior 1
Excite bike
Kid Icarus
Altered beast
Final fight
Fire emblem
Super Mario 7

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Oh yeah, that's right, encourage him. That's exactly what the world needs. You validating the next school shooter.