Metal Slug 3

TK86079

Mr. Big's Thug
hey, my Metal Slug 3 contains two different PCB´s.
The first one is original the second is bootleg, but what is this? Its no real Bootleg and no real original.

Greetings Alex

IMG-6702.jpg

TK86079

Mr. Big's Thug
No, It plays perfectly, but I don’t understand why a Bootleg uses one original PCB.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Damn that sucks man. Hoping you can find a legit copy easily.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It's weird though. You're right -- you have half a real cart. Looks like the shell isn't original either, right? This cart could possibly be considered a repair instead of a full blown bootleg.

TK86079

Mr. Big's Thug
The shell looks original to me, it’s the same as my KoF 99 has. Did they repair games with copy cards?
Sounds interesting, when it is not a real Bootleg.

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
No, It plays perfectly, but I don’t understand why a Bootleg uses one original PCB.
It's so that if you look through the shell and see only one original PCB, typically people assume the other is legit and don't bother opening it.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
It's so that if you look through the shell and see only one original PCB, typically people assume the other is legit and don't bother opening it.
Not sure why someone would do that. I think the most likely scenario here is that the CHA board went bad so someone replaced it with one from a bootleg.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member

Wouldn’t the person have the other legit board? Why just get rid of a legit board? I think the other board being damaged is a more likely theory.

TK86079

Mr. Big's Thug
Not sure why someone would do that. I think the most likely scenario here is that the CHA board went bad so someone replaced it with one from a bootleg.

That sounds more realistic, but when it’s a repaired game, does this makes the game a Bootleg also?

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
That sounds more realistic, but when it’s a repaired game, does this makes the game a Bootleg also?
This is a gray area. In most cases repairs are more minor than this - replaced one or two chips, patched some traces, etc. In those cases it's good practice to note the repairs when selling.

In the case of this MS3 cart though, this is basically half legit/half bootleg. It looks like the shell and label must not be originals too, right? So maybe it would be generous to call this a repair, but I suppose you technically could. With only one original board and a fake shell, at this point the game is almost worthless.

TK86079

Mr. Big's Thug
Im not sure with the shell, but the Label is repro for sure.
For me it’s not worthless, I don’t want to sell it, only thing is to know that it’s a half Bootleg :)
Thanks for you help!

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I've never known the game to come in that color. It looks like one of the bootleg shells sometimes referred to as a "yaton" shell (after the Chinese seller well known for selling many legit carts in fake shells).

Yes, to be clear I'm sure the game does have value to you, as it should. What I'm saying is the game wouldn't have much value on the market in this condition. But hey, it's not a straight up bootleg, and your use and enjoyment of it is all that matters.