Anybody know anything about these tiny Korean arcade cabinets?

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I'd say this is a strong hint: "Currently wired for jamma. No pcb. Comes with Pandora 5."

Burning Blade

Crazed MVS Addict
I’ve seen these on Craigslist for months. That price is insanely high for whatever the fuck those cabinets are.

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
I’ve seen these on Craigslist for months. That price is insanely high for whatever the fuck those cabinets are.

Yeah I don't know what he is thinking, some people just love re-posting stuff I guess, and not getting money.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
In my experience, these are often found in kids' playrooms at family restaurants in Korea. Always seem to have unfamiliar games with PGM looking graphics. Wouldn't be surprised to find pandora or the like inside.

$950 for one? I'm not sure if it's worth it for six.

Last edited:

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
I've never seen those before but they are ugly as hell. They look like they go on a low bar but then I saw the pic of the Korean kids playing them on the ground.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
It seems almost anyone selling a cabinet wants a crazy price like $950 for one, ebay is littered with overpriced cabinets :(

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
It seems almost anyone selling a cabinet wants a crazy price like $950 for one, ebay is littered with overpriced cabinets :(

I think everyone with a cab to sell looks at CL, sees some others at $1k, and just prices theirs the same, even thought it's a gutted mismatched POS with a super common PCB. There was an Astro City on my local CL in excellent shape for $1k, that was a decent price, nothing else ever is.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Prices on most old gaming hardware is going absolutely insane. And arcade stuff even more.

The biggest issue isn't people selling random, broken, gutted cabs at 1k, the problem is people buying them because it's the buyer that dictates the market price.
Whenever someone buys an overpriced item he is legitimating that price and hurting the market.

Look at CPS2 boards: I can't find working motherboards for less than $100 and even the most common game is at least $120.
I've been waiting for 3 years to buy a CPS2 because those prices are just insane and 2 weeks ago I managed to find a matched A+B board (an X-Men:COTA) for 140€ shipped which I would say it's a fair price.

Now even MVS boards are doubling the prices. I've bought 3 MV1FZ motherboards 4 years ago for 20€ each shipped and now I can't find any below 40€.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
About a year ago I saw the original for sale ad on craigslist L.A for these types of machines. They were somewhere in the $1000-1500 range for a bunch of them. The ad said that you had to take the whole lot. I think it was over 15 units.

A few days later they were selling single units on KLOV, and I regretted not buying lot.

SuperMegaUltra

Geese's Thug
This raises a good question: what's an expected price to pay for a Japanese candy cabinet in good shape? For what it's worth, I already bought one -- a Neo 29 -- and, including the cost to have it delivered to my front door here in Texas, paid roughly a grand. So, was that a terrible deal, average deal, or good deal? I'm legitimately curious to know and would appreciate any feedback for a first-time cab owner. :)

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
If we're talking about authentic/genuine japanese candy cabs (Sega New/Astro/Blast/Net City, Neo, etc...) it heavily depends on the shape of the cab and its component (mainly its monitor).

For one in a *nice* shape and fully working, expect to pay 600-800€ shipped for the most common ones (ie: Sega Astro) and up to 3k for the more rare ones (ie: Capcom Cute). That would be a fair price. If the monitor has traces of burn-in or has been replaced with another one (wei-ya, rodotron, etc...) price drops to 500-600.

For a cab in a *pristine* shape or has gone through a complete restoration, I'd say 1k is a good price, if the components used are all original.

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
This raises a good question: what's an expected price to pay for a Japanese candy cabinet in good shape? For what it's worth, I already bought one -- a Neo 29 -- and, including the cost to have it delivered to my front door here in Texas, paid roughly a grand. So, was that a terrible deal, average deal, or good deal? I'm legitimately curious to know and would appreciate any feedback for a first-time cab owner. :)

I'm not super familiar with the Neo29, but the rarity, screen size, quality and convenience of candy cabs makes them pretty desirable, especially because anyone with some MDF and a jigsaw can make an US style upright cabinet for only a few $100. I would say ~$1K for a candy is about fair, given that they are hard to come by, and you even got it delivered. There are others out there that are way more rare and probably demand a higher price for that reason, but for a good condition working candy $1k seems good. Only the Taito Egret 3 really demands a higher price just due to the sheer convenience of owning one, and I see them on ebay for $1400 sometimes which is probably an ok price seeing that they are hard to come by and super desirable.

SuperMegaUltra

Geese's Thug
I'm not super familiar with the Neo29, but the rarity, screen size, quality and convenience of candy cabs makes them pretty desirable, especially because anyone with some MDF and a jigsaw can make an US style upright cabinet for only a few $100. I would say ~$1K for a candy is about fair, given that they are hard to come by, and you even got it delivered. There are others out there that are way more rare and probably demand a higher price for that reason, but for a good condition working candy $1k seems good. Only the Taito Egret 3 really demands a higher price just due to the sheer convenience of owning one, and I see them on ebay for $1400 sometimes which is probably an ok price seeing that they are hard to come by and super desirable.

Cool! Thanks for that, Finch. I really do appreciate it. :)

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
So, was that a terrible deal, average deal, or good deal?

In Texas, that's a good deal. Candies in good shape typically do not go under a grand unless there's serious condition issues. Most in good shape can go $1000-$1400, but those ~$600 machines (that rarely pop up) need a harness rewire; a monitor recap; a new CP; and maybe a new flyback, etc.

But for a grand, it better look good inside and out.

blotter12

Kabuki Klasher
Prices on most old gaming hardware is going absolutely insane. And arcade stuff even more.

There's a lot going on here to affect prices. CPS boards I assume are going up because of Darksoft & infinikey.

Maybe you can get a better deal on a cab if you wait, but who wants to wait? Your market for cabs is usually smaller, so prices in one area might be different from another. Not like PCB boards which can very easily be shipped.

Home players also have to complete with the new arcade bars popping up all over the place. As demand goes up and supply goes down, prices go up. I mean, the increased prices are probably legit, not a function of someone who doesn't understand prices getting ripped off on a beat up cab.

Last edited: