Google Stadia

-SD-

Camel Slug
So Google have announced their streaming platform, Stadia...

Along with their own controller:

YEXcMSM.png

When we designed the Stadia controller, we listened to gamers about what they wanted in a controller. First, we made sure to develop a direct connection from Stadia controller to our data center through Wi-Fi for the best possible gaming performance. The controller also includes a button for instant capture, saving and sharing gameplay in up to 4k of stunning resolution. And it comes equipped with a Google Assistant button and built-in microphone.

This isn’t the first time this had been attempted, but maybe Google are in a position to actually pull it off with some success.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Just remember before you support this that their primary business is collecting and selling your personal information. I personally won't touch anything of theirs except for a few trailers on YouTube, and for those I have multiple privacy and ad blocking plug-ins installed.

edit: This is my personal favorite recent story about Google and their transparency: https://www.businessinsider.com/nest-microphone-was-never-supposed-to-be-a-secret-2019-2

Last edited:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
meh. Probably full priced games and you never own anything

Once gaming goes full download only, I’m out. Same price for digital games = F job

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
No thank you. Not interest in an always online gaming console that I cannot download the games.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Yeah but what button do you click to skip the youtube ads

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Controller looks like a nice little copy of the Xbox or PS4 controller but then anything else wouldn't be very ergonomic or well received. Can't see the interest in streaming games really as it'll never be 100% smooth 100% of the time unless there's some sort of QoS involved in prioritising packets for your game streaming. We all get some jitter here and there online already and with streaming we're likely to experience even more.

But... I guess if it's cheap enough and someone doesn't give a fuck while having a nice wide internet pipe? the worlds your oyster.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Their presentation was... bizarre. They kept talking about "bringing together" the "whole world of gaming" or something, but they're talking about a streaming service that has a snowball's chance in hell outside major cities. I don't think Google understands that people live outside San Francisco and LA.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Hard pass for me-I still prefer to purchase physical games when possible, and I don’t want to be beholden to my Internet provider and their usage quotas.

I think it’s strange that Google will sell you a controller, but not a cheap plug-and-play HDMI box for non-techies to use. If it was sitting on store shelves alongside the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X also promoting 4K 60FPS gaming at a fraction of the price, I could see them moving some units. As it is, it would make more sense for them to offer it as a service that runs on existing consoles and only have the special controller for people wanting to use the service on a controllerless device.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I think google done goofed on this one.If you don't have a good internet provider then you're screwed.The infrastructure,still isn't there where every one has high speed internet at least in na.
I can see stadia having allot of this :rolleyes:

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Hmmm, Microsoft tried implementing cloud computing into one game. They largely failed.

Google is telling us to use the cloud for all gaming. Seems optimistic.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Their presentation was... bizarre. They kept talking about "bringing together" the "whole world of gaming" or something, but they're talking about a streaming service that has a snowball's chance in hell outside major cities. I don't think Google understands that people live outside San Francisco and LA.

You'd be surprised how many people have no grasp of what life is like outside major cities. They look at population density charts and nothing more. They don't realize how quickly things change mere miles apart. I'll give Chicago for example. 30 mile radius outside Chicago you are reaching the outer suburbs. Go another 10 and its all farm land. Rural areas where stores are still closed on Sunday's and there are no 24 hours marts.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Just remember before you support this that their primary business is collecting and selling your personal information. I personally won't touch anything of theirs except for a few trailers on YouTube, and for those I have multiple privacy and ad blocking plug-ins installed.

edit: This is my personal favorite recent story about Google and their transparency: https://www.businessinsider.com/nest-microphone-was-never-supposed-to-be-a-secret-2019-2

Google is basically a epic length Black Mirror episode, and their cloud gaming will allow them to addict children, track them, opiate them, and suck them dry through their arrested adulthood (please ignore the weird HDRChamp trigger language). :rolleyes: People need to take a baseball bat to their babysitters.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I’m sure this will work great with my 10MB internet connection. Thanks anyway, chief

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Interview with phil Harrison -

What internet speed do you need to run Stadia? “We were able to test a lot of this with our Project Stream test late last year, starting back in October. To get 1080p, 60 frames per second, required approximately 25 megabits per second. In fact, we use less than that, but that’s where we put our recommended limit at. But with innovations that we’ve made on the streamer side and on the compression side since then, when we launch, we will be able to get to 4K but only raise that bandwidth to about 30 megabits per second. So if you have less bandwidth, we’ll give you a lower resolution… We do a lot of that for you in the background, and we will only offer up the appropriate bandwidth for the infrastructure that you have.”

What hardware do you need to get Stadia on your TV? “Chromecast is the way that you reach TV at launch.” And, by the way, an Xbox controller won’t do the trick: “In order to reach our Chromecast, you need the Stadia controller.” You can use whatever USB controller you want on PC, though.

Is this just another ambitious Google project that will disappear in a few years, like Google Plus? “I understand the concern. But I think that all you have to do is look at the level of investment that we have made and continue to make in Stadia. This is not a trivial project by any means. This is a very, very significant cross-company effort that isn’t just my team, but it’s also across YouTube, it’s across our technical infrastructure and networking team. It represents thousands of people who are working on this business.”

What will it cost? “I’m not going to talk about it today… We will talk in great detail about that in the summer.” (That's the Australian winter, for reference.)

Is that announcement going to be at E3? “In the summer.” Well, OK then!

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Worst name ever, always makes me think of some horrible, incurable illness.
Streaming is the future though, whether we like it or not.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
C'mon Gaston, the doctor told you it would clear up if you'd just take your medicine.