Genders and pronouns and rage

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Is that the San Francisco Hall of Fame? Isn't that for drag queens?
Can I say that now a days?

This is a safe place, you can say whatever the hell you want.

SF = Snowflake, but you can interpret SF however you want to keep it meta.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The media makes everything worse, or at a minimum, skews reality.

Look at it this way, a good friend of mine is fairly up the ladder at Caterpillar, for about 5 years, he managed a few overseas branches and would have employees come here from Europe for training. I'd often join them for golf, some beers afterwards. Time and time again, I'd hear two things from foreigners about America:

-People are far more reserved and polite than they thought we would be.

-"Where are all the black people?"

American television doesn't paint a realistic picture of everyday American life, or how the vast majority of Americans live. You watch American TV and it paints this picture of racial diversity, everyone all mixed together in everyday life, this just isn't the case.

Look here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_ethnicity_in_the_United_States

72% of the population is white, under 13% is black and the % just goes down from there.

It's the same with all of these sub cultures and groups. Look here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_demographics_of_the_United_States

Gay culture is everywhere in the media, there is a large amount of media attention devoted to it and we see it often on a daily basis in the news or otherwise...yet not even 5% of the population ID's themselves as LGBT. Transgender is an estimated .58%....not even 1%, yet look at the media attention it gets in the US, you'd think there are hundreds of millions of them by the way the media reports it.

Sensational things get media attention, it is what it is.

Just so you know, nearly evern meta study shows that minorities are underrepresented on tv and in Films. This is especially evident when you control for age demographics. And even more glaring when you look at lead roles and/or major productions.

Last edited:

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I have feelings about this which I’ll post later. But for now... I had Wheel of Fortune on waiting for Jeopardy to start just now. Pat Sayjack(?) kept call a woman (who was clearly born a woman) “they”. FFS.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Me completely agreeing with STK and what I said afterwards were two separate (but related) thoughts.

But yes, social media creates, fosters and promotes narcissism. It's a large part of the reason it holds zero interest to me and I don't participate in any of it.

Just in case I wasn't clear (because I probably wasn't) I think that this aspect which social media fosters has much to do with trends of thought and self identification. It's not a criticism per se.
It may be phenomena produced by these new types of interaction. It is one of the first visible cultural bi-products of the internet seeping into the "actual" world

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Just so you know, nearly evern meta study shows that minorities are underrepresented on tv and in Films. This is especially evident when you control for age demographics. And even more glaring when you look at lead roles and/or major productions.

Meta...huh...ok.

I have my own super scientific study...it's called me watching television for over 3 decades. Pointing out just one segment of minorities, let's focus on black Americans. Are you going to tell me with all of the programming staring and made by black Americans that a group of people that don't even account for 15% of the population aren't proportionately represented via media?

Seriously?

If you really got to real, % based representation in films, 13 out of every 100 actors would have to be black...I don't feel that number isn't achieved and then some.

What would your definition of being properly represented? One of every possible minority, sex, and sub culture in every show or film made?

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

#Oscarssowhite is one of the worst things to happen to the oscars.

We went from a decade of The Departed, No Country for Old Men, Gladiator, LOTR

To whatever the fuck we have seen winning these past 10 years. Moonlight, Shape of Water, 12 years a slave, Green Book.

Sheesh. Oscar winners don’t need to be fun movies. Just put in racism or some ism and let the awards flow in.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

To whatever the fuck we have seen winning these past 10 years. Moonlight, Shape of Water, 12 years a slave, Green Book.

Sheesh. Oscar winners don’t need to be fun movies. Just put in racism or some ism and let the awards flow in.

Word.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member

I don't necessarily disagree but there were a bunch of stupid Oscar Best Picture winners in the 90s and 2000s also (see: Crash, Chicago, Shakespeare in Love, The English Patient). The Oscars have always been a joke and everyone knows that the Academy rarely picks the best film unless it's completely undeniable but more likely the film that most seems like an "Oscar" film (biographies, period dramas, war films, weepy melodramas).

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
The Oscars aren't about legitimate acknowledgement of excellence in the motion picture industry. It's all campaigning behind the scenes, lobbying, money and negotiation.

It's been that way for a while.

As for my opinion on the subject at hand:

I sometimes wish I was an English archer during the Hundred Years War.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Shape of Water was fucking garbage. Trite story delivered with ham-fistedness that was off the charts.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Meta...huh...ok.

I have my own super scientific study...it's called me watching television for over 3 decades. Pointing out just one segment of minorities, let's focus on black Americans. Are you going to tell me with all of the programming staring and made by black Americans that a group of people that don't even account for 15% of the population aren't proportionately represented via media?

Seriously?

If you really got to real, % based representation in films, 13 out of every 100 actors would have to be black...I don't feel that number isn't achieved and then some.

What would your definition of being properly represented? One of every possible minority, sex, and sub culture in every show or film made?

I'm just telling you what the studies show. Your "watching television for over 3 decades" is easily colored by your own cognitive biases.

At best, African Americans are proportionally represented on TV and in Major Motion Pictures (around the 13% mark). I've never seen a study where they were over-represented.

Asians and Latinx really get the shaft.

Last edited:

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Shape of Water was fucking garbage. Trite story delivered with ham-fistedness that was off the charts.

It was so bad I can't believe it won anything, let alone best picture.

Oscars is a joke, but I did enjoy LA LA Land "winning" the best picture though.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'm just telling you what the studies show. Your "watching television for over 3 decades" is easily colored by your own cognitive biases.

At best, African Americans are proportionally represented on TV and in Major Motion Pictures (around the 13% mark). I've never seen a study where they were over-represented.

Asians and Latinx really get the shaft.

Call it what you will, I've seen what I've seen and haven't what I haven't.

The thing is this, Hollywood, or the rest of the entertainment industry doesn't really give a good shit about morals, or ethics. They want to produce what sells and these cardboard awards are nothing different than a company like Exxon giving one of their employees a "most environmental friendly employee of the year" award. Let's bust this down, though.

Like I said, white Americans make up about 231.7 million people. Black Americans, 40.3 millions, Asians, 15.36 million...and the number go down from there. The Latino population is not separated from the numbers (that I can tell), they make up 16.3% mixed from the other races.

If you're going to make a product, who would you want to appeal to? It takes support from just 20% of the overall white population to outnumber 100% of the black population and the number gets even more skewed from there.

Concerning Asians, few people are going to make movies, or shows, or anything else that will appeal to less than 5% of the population, and that's if it get's 100% support.

The issue with the Latino community is that it's spread across other races, which means differing likes and cultures. Many true blue Latino Americans speak mostly Spanish, no major American television or film producer is going to make Spanish only content when they can pipe in Spanish channels and simply pass the feed. Anything else, take the NFL trying so pathetically hard to get Latinos to love American football, comes across as desperate pandering.

All this griping and moaning about diversity gets us is like someone has already said, cardboard awards give tho shit movies simply because a minority group is in it, or made it.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Call it what you will, I've seen what I've seen and haven't what I haven't.

But did you keep a detailed log and maintain comprehensive statistics?

Like I said, white Americans make up about 231.7 million people. Black Americans, 40.3 millions, Asians, 15.36 million...and the number go down from there. The Latino population is not separated from the numbers (that I can tell), they make up 16.3% mixed from the other races.

If you're going to make a product, who would you want to appeal to? It takes support from just 20% of the overall white population to outnumber 100% of the black population and the number gets even more skewed from there.

Concerning Asians, few people are going to make movies, or shows, or anything else that will appeal to less than 5% of the population, and that's if it get's 100% support.

So a show with minority in a lead or major supporting role will only appeal to persons that identify as that group? such idiocy

The issue with the Latino community is that it's spread across other races, which means differing likes and cultures. Many true blue Latino Americans speak mostly Spanish, no major American television or film producer is going to make Spanish only content when they can pipe in Spanish channels and simply pass the feed.

Ridonkulous whitesplaining.

But just so we are clear, are you conceding the point about minorities (particularly African Americans) being over-represented?

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
Two white people arguing about minority issues.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I wonder if old people are represented enough on tv.........

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I don't necessarily disagree but there were a bunch of stupid Oscar Best Picture winners in the 90s and 2000s also (see: Crash, Chicago, Shakespeare in Love, The English Patient). The Oscars have always been a joke and everyone knows that the Academy rarely picks the best film unless it's completely undeniable but more likely the film that most seems like an "Oscar" film (biographies, period dramas, war films, weepy melodramas).

But it has been over 10 years since we have enjoyed an Oscar winner like The Departed, which would never win it today because some millennials would upload YouTube videos crying about whitewashing Asian cinema.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Two white people arguing about minority issues.
I'm a multiple minority, I have yet to encounter severe discrimination in the US. With that being said:

Well somebody told me you had a boyfriend
Who looked like a girlfriend

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I wonder if old people are represented enough on tv.........

The answer is yes. And they always have been. Right now, an elderly woman can easily find a channel on basic cable to fill her need for mat lock, golden girl’s, Fox News, home shopping, or whatever soul comfort old fogeys yearn for.