-The Official Vegan Thread-

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I didn't read the first page of this thread, so it might have been mentioned elsewhere, but I was able to try an Impossible burger last week. A local hipster joint orders actual patties from Impossible so I figured it was worth the try. I'll say, I was impressed. To quote another review, I was surprised at how unremarkable it was...as in, it tasted like a generic burger. No gimmicks, nothing that stood out as artificial or non-meat.

As an om-nomnivore, I eat everything (and now have the man-tits to prove it), so it won't be replacing hamburgers anytime soon...but...if they make it available in 1lb bricks like store hamburger, I can easily see myself using it for taco meat, or other recipes that typically take hamburger.

Target carries Beyond Meat burgers. Pretty similar to impossible's meat.
They are packed with a lot of oils, so they are not going to fix moobs any time soon.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
As for me, I'll try anything once.

Same. I won't give that up any time soon.

liver/heart/brains cooked in onion and oil and butter then put on some good bread is delicious

but not anything I'd eat every day or even every month.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
But would you though? No hypothetical this time, if you were offered goat's blood and silkworms and monkey brains and dog meat -would you do it?

As for me, I'll try anything once.

Eh...maybe? I think I'd try most animal products, give or take. Bugs? Probably not.

Possibly I'll amend my statement...I'll eat most things.

fake

15 Year Member
Del Taco now has vegan items. Burger King is going to have an Impossible Whopper. Taco Bell is going to release a vegetarian menu. I had a great veggie burger from Red Robin the other day. (They've only recently popped up around here.)

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I wouldn't shrug off bugs right away. Entomography is quite common in other cultures, and it packs massive protein with little environmental impact.
I've experimented with cricket flour. You'd never know.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I wouldn't shrug of bugs right away. Entomography is quite common in other cultures, and it packs massive protein with little environmental impact.
I've experimented with cricket flour. You'd never know.

I was discussing this with some friends a few weeks back, I really feel that taking usable protein from insects will be the future of food for many people. It reminds me of the Wallace farms in Blade Runner 2049. If we're going to reproduce like we are currently, we're going to need a far better food source than animals if we're not going to starve to death. Personally, as long as it is edible, I'd eat it, even if it was produced form insects. I was more so referring to eating actual insects...which I would have a hard time doing.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
If you're male and vegan, there is something wrong with you, period. We are opportunistic omnivores. Nobody should say no to a beautiful medium steak!
Edit: if you're vegan, are insects off the table too?

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Gaston you sound like a fool

I've always wanted to go to a del taco. When I do I will try their vegan taco.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Gaston you sound like a fool

I've always wanted to go to a del taco. When I do I will try their vegan taco.

I could never live without eating fish or meat, it seems weird to me is all. But hey man, do whatever makes you happy.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
If you're male and vegan, there is something wrong with you, period. We are opportunistic omnivores. Nobody should say no to a beautiful medium steak!
Edit: if you're vegan, are insects off the table too?

I'll admit that I'm an opinionated douche at times...but even I will say that an all encompassing statement like that is off the mark.

There's many reasons why someone would choose to be a vegetarian or vegan...not all those reasons are absurd. If you're one of those hipster faggots who is doing it so so van talk about it on social media...I'll gladly make fun of you. If you do it for health reasons, there's little I can say, its your life and your choice.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I am not a vegetarian, but I have been enjoying Beyond burgers for health reasons. Even though they are somewhat expensive and have a bit of that cat food smell.

Looking forward to trying the Impossible Whopper. You can already order Impossible Burgers at a lot of restaurants around here.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I'm not a vegetarian, but I had a portabello mushroom quesadilla with chorizo spices in El Pass and it was one of the most magical things ive ever eaten.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I could never live without eating fish or meat, it seems weird to me is all. But hey man, do whatever makes you happy.

I'm with you, but I'm looking for balance. I'll NEVER willingly give up eating steak, chicken, pork, lamb, etc.. Too fucking delicious. But the way I've eaten for most of my life needs to change. I have really shitty stomach problems and I ain't getting any younger. Look at the news yesterday, John Singleton died. He was 51. Dude should have at least had 14-20 more good years behind his belt.

Marek

Banned
My main question is this, do vegans fight cancer with the Steve Jobs plan?

Because Tom's of Maine doesnt make animal testing / cruelty free chemotherapy and radiation treatments.

Just saying. This applies to virtually all medicines as well.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

Because Tom's of Maine doesnt make animal testing / cruelty free chemotherapy and radiation treatments.

Not sure if it directly applies to your comment, but I think that despite our best efforts, something nasty will get the best of most of us. The world is just too toxic in this modern age.

One of the most healthy gals I know, marathon runner, organic eater, mostly plant diet, came down with breast cancer a few years ago. In the end, she had a double mastectomy, rounds of chemo and is now living in complete remission...but there's always the come-back chance. I recall her anger stating that she did all she could to live a "healthy lifestyle"...yet she still got cancer in her early 30's.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member

Steve Jobs rejected science for some insane reason. Had he listened to his doctor, they could have operated from the get go and most likely prolonged his life. He decided to use the power of Buddhism (not veganism) to "cure" him.

No knock on religion (I'm agnostic), but don't reject centuries of science. This applies to anti-vaxxers as well.

Marek

Banned
Yeah I know guys.

Just wondering if chemo is vegan friendly, that's all.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Roke, Buddhism is more philosophy of life than a religion (as with much eastern systems of belief and spirituality). You knew this already so I'm just breaking your balls

I was thinking about becoming vegetarian but just to see what it's like, for the challenge. Wouldn't go full vegan because no. I really like meat, but I don't feel attached to it and enjoy vegetables in and for themselves.
But... nah

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Eat right, work out, and still die

fake

15 Year Member
Eat right, work out, and still die

I'm no scare of dying, but I break things down like this:

Controllable health - diet, exercise, psychological, environmental, and stress management

Genetics - predispositions for better or worse health issues

Luck - genetic mutations that lead to health problems and cancer, as well as other "random" diseases and disorders

Any one of these could kill you, and two of them are completely uncontrollable. That doesn't mean you should live like a slob. Like I said, I don't hold my own life in the utmost regard, but I still wear my seatbelt, don't smoke or do drugs, and try to watch what I eat. Having a fast food life does not feel good. It makes what life you do have pretty bad.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I've known a lot of vegetarians/vegans...

My main gripe with a small proportion of them... is that they try and preach to me that eating kebabs... processed meat... and other stuff is bad...

I don't fuckin' tell them what to eat... why tell me...

LOOK... I have a handy leaflet with what I should cut back on... do due to health issues... BUT I'll be fucked and in the ground before I let some preaching wanker tell me what to eat...

xROTx