-The Official Vegan Thread-

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
As a gluten free vegan shelf queen, I can't see the appeal of mock meats. Seitan would literally ruin my insides, no way that shit is good for you on a regular basis. Here in the UK they now sell beyond burgers which taste very much like the real thing. As much as I welcome more cruelty free options, mock meat just ain't for me.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
As a gluten free vegan shelf queen, I can't see the appeal of mock meats. Seitan would literally ruin my insides, no way that shit is good for you on a regular basis. Here in the UK they now sell beyond burgers which taste very much like the real thing. As much as I welcome more cruelty free options, mock meat just ain't for me.

So is there a division within the vegan "community" over mock meats and straight up veggies?

I wonder what an elitist Vegan looks like?

related:

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
So is there a division within the vegan "community" over mock meats and straight up veggies?

I wonder what an elitist Vegan looks like?

related:

I don't think there is a major division. Someone is always offended about something, I've noticed some vegans think faux meats are gross as in 'why would you want to eat something that is trying to replicate meat'. But then loads of vegans I have met over the years absolutely adore mock meats and lap that shit up on the reg.

P.s Scott Pligrim the movie has aged like cat shit

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
People love to complain about vegetarians and vegans. But when I worked in an office and we'd have catered meals, they would always get a few vegetarian options for the two vegetarians that worked there. People would see the tomato basil mozzarella sandwiches or whatever the vegetarian options were and would take those because they looked amazing. I'd often end up having to go buy my own food because all of a sudden vegetarian food looked great.

I have met one or two snotty vegans in my life, as well as a few fakers (true veganism is nearly impossible without living in a supremely isolated community, but some don't even make a true effort), but like most things, I hear far more about the outrage than what people are actually outraged about.

Bottom line, in my opinion, people living in developed Western countries are probably eating too much meat. More importantly, the meat and dairy industries need to change. Vegetarianism / veganism isn't for everyone, but I don't think you can deny that you're aiding and abetting some terrible shit if you're buying meat from places other than local, responsible farms, or places (restaurants) that source from the same.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
I have met one or two snotty vegans in my life, as well as a few fakers (true veganism is nearly impossible without living in a supremely isolated community, but some don't even make a true effort)

This x1million

As a vegan I am totally aware that hypocrisy is a given and it that it is a first world luxury. People are welcome to eat what they want and not be judged. There are definitely a variety of arguments to be made for ethical eating as a whole, not giving money to unilever or buying food wrapped in about eighty layers of plastic etc.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I agree with fakeXsound, I want to change the way I eat. I believe in balance. I would like to eat more vegetarian dishes and cut down on the amount of chicken/beef I eat during the week. Still won't go vegan though ... unless it's unintentional like with falafel or salads or something.

fake

15 Year Member
I agree with fakeXsound, I want to change the way I eat. I believe in balance. I would like to eat more vegetarian dishes and cut down on the amount of chicken/beef I eat during the week. Still won't go vegan though ... unless it's unintentional like with falafel or salads or something.

A vegan diet is definitely tough, either on your wallet if you want to do it right and get proper nutrition, or on your body if you don't. IMO, you have to pick your battles. I know I have way more energy, lose weight easier, and am better brain-wise when I'm eating eggs on a regular basis. But even doing occasional vegetarian or vegan meals helps cuts down on cruelty and waste.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
A vegan diet is definitely tough, either on your wallet if you want to do it right and get proper nutrition, or on your body if you don't. IMO, you have to pick your battles. I know I have way more energy, lose weight easier, and am better brain-wise when I'm eating eggs on a regular basis. But even doing occasional vegetarian or vegan meals helps cuts down on cruelty and waste.
I once got into a discussion with a vegan (naturally he called omnivores 'gluttons,' 'sick,' 'deranged' killers. He owned a vegan taco truck and claimed it was so much cheaper to eat as a vegan.

I had actually bought food at his truck once. 12 bucks for two little measly tacos. We're they good? Yeah actually. They were. But cheaper? Feck off.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
I really don't foresee myself ever going full vegan. I'm really happy with the changes I have made and how I feel in the past year. Eggs are a major part of my diet, and like others have said, being truly vegan is not easy at all. I'd rather just stick to vegetarian, it's pretty easy to do that.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
How can you live without real cheese?

My g/f is lactose intolerant (except for eggs) - and it severely limits what you can eat. Got to leave cheese off of pizza, no mac & cheese etc. I couldn't do it, personally.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
My g/f is lactose intolerant (except for eggs) - and it severely limits what you can eat. Got to leave cheese off of pizza, no mac & cheese etc. I couldn't do it, personally.

Lactose intolerance can be cured. you know this right?

You just need to rebuild tolerance. People who stop consuming dairy products will naturally begin to lose tolerance and eventually dairy fart and diarreah hard core. The solution is to get them to just get past it and drink milk.

fake

15 Year Member
Lactose intolerance can be cured. you know this right?

You just need to rebuild tolerance. People who stop consuming dairy products will naturally begin to lose tolerance and eventually dairy fart and diarreah hard core. The solution is to get them to just get past it and drink milk.

The funnier part is that he thinks lactose is in eggs?

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I've been making vegetarian dishes for the past two weeks.

Now don't mince my words, I still eat meat, bitches.

My goal is to eat less meat. Most days it's fruit or peanut butter for breakfast, a salad or veggie sandwich (homemade) for lunch, then either a meat dish or a veggie dish for dinner. I still eat a meat dish for dinner usually (like 5 out of 7 days). But I've been intentionally buying less meat to force myself to come up with something for dinner that doesn't involve meat.

It feels pretty good, I'm going to keep rolling this way. Not sure if I'll lose weight since I'm still eating a ton of bread, but I don't get that shitty feeling from eating too much meat anymore.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
It does seem the hardest part is learning how to build meals that don't center around meat. So many meals make meat the focus, so everything else just feels like sides.

I'm not trying to go vegan, but I am trying to cut down on processed foods. Meat is definitely more processed than most veggies.

Something like blue apron/hello fresh have good vegetarian options to learn how to make a meal.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
been eating veggies only for lunch and meat at night. I should switch it around, but whatever. good luck roker. you're right, btw. too much goddamn meat.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I didn't read the first page of this thread, so it might have been mentioned elsewhere, but I was able to try an Impossible burger last week. A local hipster joint orders actual patties from Impossible so I figured it was worth the try. I'll say, I was impressed. To quote another review, I was surprised at how unremarkable it was...as in, it tasted like a generic burger. No gimmicks, nothing that stood out as artificial or non-meat.

As an om-nomnivore, I eat everything (and now have the man-tits to prove it), so it won't be replacing hamburgers anytime soon...but...if they make it available in 1lb bricks like store hamburger, I can easily see myself using it for taco meat, or other recipes that typically take hamburger.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
As an om-nomnivore, I eat everything .

But would you though? No hypothetical this time, if you were offered goat's blood and silkworms and monkey brains and dog meat -would you do it?

As for me, I'll try anything once.