Anime people, school me on JoJo?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Been meaning to check out the JoJo Manga since I first played JOJOBA at the arcades and never did.

But I guess there's an anime as well. But I'm confused - there's one on Netflix/Hulu from 2012 with 3 seasons. I'm watching the first ep now and it's not *at all* what I was expecting, and so far is nothing like the game I remembered.

Is there another series that's closer to what the game was like?

Or is this a reboot? Is it a continuation like Dragon Ball Super is for DBZ?

Totes lost here

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
There are older OVAs but this is the series you are looking for.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
find a manga reader on the internet, read the first three series, after that it doesn't matter cuz Jojo peaked 30 years ago

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
There are older OVAs but this is the series you are looking for.

I think so, too. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but season 1 is about Johnathan Joestar (the grandfather), then the next two seasons are the Stardust Crusaders arc, which is about Joseph Joestar, the protagonist of the Capcom arcade games.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Correct, once you watch Stardust Crusaders arc, the fighting game will make a lot more sense

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
Correct, once you watch Stardust Crusaders arc, the fighting game will make a lot more sense

Basically this. The storylines go through different arcs with parts of the Joestar family, so it's not a single JoJo protagonist throughout. The anime series that started in 2012 starts from the very beginning and isn't currently caught up to the end of the manga.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Kid which arc is your favorite, you better say Part 2

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Kid which arc is your favorite, you better say Part 2
You know it is because I've said so multiple times in the past, and you seem to keep record of everything I say. 2 then 4. Then maybe Jojolion. Then a tie between 3, 5 and 6, all very good. And finally part 1 & Steel Ball Run tied for last.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
JoJo is a fantastic series! Can't go wrong with parts 1-6 imho.

Part 1: Jonathan's story is a slow start, but it establishes the "Hamon" martial arts and chronicles the genesis of the "Belmonts vs Dracula"-type bloodline rivalry that permeates the series.

Part 2: Joseph's story continues the wacky over-the-top martial arts theme with fun characters and higher stakes.

Part 3: Jotaro's globe trotting adventure removes the martial arts theme in favor of the special "Stand" abilities the series is now known for. A high point for the series and a favorite for many fans.

Part 4: Josuke's battle is a fantastic murder mystery story that ramps up the situational tension present in the Stand fights while cementing the stylistic "do you even pose" direction of Hirohiko's art/character design.

Part 5: Giorno (Gold friggin Experience!) Giovanna and his gang battle for their lives in an arc that is fantastic if Part 4 didn't turn you off from the series at this point and you want more.

Part 6: Jolyne's adventure chronicles the battle of Jotaro's daughter and takes place largely inside a prison which made for some unique fight senarios even by crazy JoJo standards. This part ties a lot of threads together from previous parts and was a fantastic "conclusion" to the story up to this point.

-----

Part 7: Steel Ball Run is a race to gather "parts" that deviated from the JoJo formula for a while until it was said to be part of the JoJo series.

Part 8: JoJolion is the current series and is set in the same continuity as the previous Steel Ball Run story.

Last edited:

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Ahh, so it's Jonathan, Joseph, then Jotaro. Jotaro's the star of Stardust Crusaders, but Joseph is in it.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
JoJo is a fantastic series! Can't go wrong with parts 1-6 imho.

Part 1: Jonathan's story is a slow start, but it establishes the "Hamon" martial arts and chronicles the genesis of the "Belmonts vs Dracula"-type bloodline rivalry that permeates the series.

Part 2: Joseph's story continues the wacky over-the-top martial arts theme with fun characters and higher stakes.

Part 3: Jotaro's globe trotting adventure removes the martial arts theme in favor of the special "Stand" abilities the series is now known for. A high point for the series and a favorite for many fans.

Part 4: Josuke's battle is a fantastic murder mystery story that ramps up the situational tension present in the Stand fights while cementing the stylistic "do you even pose" direction of Hirohiko's art/character design.

Toonami has shown the first three and is currently on the fourth one. Enjoyed them all so far.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
4 > 2 > 7 > 3 > 6 > 1
haven't read 5 and 8 is still going
nobody knows how king crimson works
All-Star Battle on PS3 was pretty cool.

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
i added "nobody knows how king crimson works"
4 is the best part, you pathetic shell of a man

(jk still love you)

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
So Im about 5 eps in, and I do admit it's gotten a bit better. The art isn't as cool as stuff Ive seen (or the intro, thats rad as fuck) but Im watching the English dub and I dunno if its the translation or if things are meant to be said in a comedic way in Japanese, but there's some good lines in there. And I just got intro'ed to a dude named Rober EO Speedwagon. lol wtf.

Definitely entertaining.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
So Im about 5 eps in, and I do admit it's gotten a bit better. The art isn't as cool as stuff Ive seen (or the intro, thats rad as fuck) but Im watching the English dub and I dunno if its the translation or if things are meant to be said in a comedic way in Japanese, but there's some good lines in there. And I just got intro'ed to a dude named Rober EO Speedwagon. lol wtf.

Definitely entertaining.
Yeah, a ton of the characters throughout are named after bands.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Toonami has shown the first three and is currently on the fourth one. Enjoyed them all so far.

That rocks! I didn’t know Toonami was airing the new series stateside. The series went so under appreciated for so long, it’s awesome to see it get so much love now.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
That rocks! I didn’t know Toonami was airing the new series stateside. The series went so under appreciated for so long, it’s awesome to see it get so much love now.
So far the biggest issue I have w it is the guy that plays Jonathan in the English dub. His English accent is awful and sounds like he's 12 lol.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I would really suggest watching with subtitles. You’ll miss a lot of gold especially in stardust crusaders.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Definitely my preferred way to watch anime, but my wife has bad vision and wants to watch along with me, so dubbed it is.