Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice by From Software 03/22/19 - Pump Level 15/10

Marek

Banned
Ok so im finally sort of gitting gud here.

Beat Ashina Elite and took my first crack at Genichiro. Got rekt of course, but i haven't looked up any strats and he seems totally beatable with practice.

I need to focus on beating the butterfly lady as im sure the attack upgrade will really help me out at the point.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Ok so im finally sort of gitting gud here.

Beat Ashina Elite and took my first crack at Genichiro. Got rekt of course, but i haven't looked up any strats and he seems totally beatable with practice.

I need to focus on beating the butterfly lady as im sure the attack upgrade will really help me out at the point.
rapid block...and run and hide for chees the cooter...havent tried myself,, oh and jump a bit after red kanji.

Marek

Banned
rapid block...and run and hide for chees the cooter...havent tried myself,, oh and jump a bit after red kanji.

I crushed her this afternoon.

Genichiro is fucking nuts. I dont have the patience for it right now. Im going to try and kill off all the rest of the mini bosses first.

He's pretty fucking savage.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I rage un-quitted and am back on the game. I was able to beat Ashina Elite, but through total cheese. Whirlwind attack finally ganked him. I dont feel good about it, but he was pissing me the hell off. Good to see that fucker finally die. Genichiro, I'm able to get one DB on him, but I haven't been able to beat him. Seven Spears is still being a bitch. Im able to beat Butterfly's first form fairly easy, but then all the adds and extra shit she throws at you is annoying.

Marek

Banned
I rage un-quitted and am back on the game. I was able to beat Ashina Elite, but through total cheese. Whirlwind attack finally ganked him. I dont feel good about it, but he was pissing me the hell off. Good to see that fucker finally die. Genichiro, I'm able to get one DB on him, but I haven't been able to beat him. Seven Spears is still being a bitch. Im able to beat Butterfly's first form fairly easy, but then all the adds and extra shit she throws at you is annoying.

Butterfly is really fucking easy if you can parry her whole 7+ hit combo in the second phase. When I beat her I didn't use a single heal or rez and maybe only got hit once. When she does the adds just unlock the camera and run around the edges and hide behind a pillar once the projectiles start in.

Theres a Genichiro cheese where you double jump off his head and initiate a whirlwind while you're in the air. It doesn't land direct blows, but chips away at his vitality slowly and reliably.

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Those stupid gun cunts are seriously the shittiest enemies in the game. Absolute shit.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Beat the first gun bitch under the Buddha finally. Im stuck on Genichiro, but that dude's fight is actually a damn fight, and not some bullshit exercise in anti-physics like with the gun bitch.

Marek

Banned
Beat the first gun bitch under the Buddha finally. Im stuck on Genichiro, but that dude's fight is actually a damn fight, and not some bullshit exercise in anti-physics like with the gun bitch.

Gun bitch? Whats the name of the mob?

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler

She has one of my favorite kanji attacks in the game.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Fuck those gun bitches. Don't belong in this game.

Genichiro is a fun fight. I can get him to his 3rd form finally, and no-hit his first form almost every time. Just haven't beat him. 3rd form is giving me trouble.

I have like 3 dragon tears, but like the entire universe is infected with dragon rot at this point.

Marek

Banned
Wow I just realized about the Sunken Temple

Whole new zone I haven't been in.

I cleared Senpou up until I hit the Genichiro wall again. I need a little break until the intense frustration resumes.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Wow I just realized about the Sunken Temple

Whole new zone I haven't been in.

I cleared Senpou up until I hit the Genichiro wall again. I need a little break until the intense frustration resumes.
I was in the mountains, unlocked the door that connects to the demon bell temple, killed the armored knight on the bridge and even found the white (and red/white) pinwheels, and gave it to that sobbing fat monk. Then I spirited him away, and to continue I need to kill Genichiro.

First two forms are almost step by step beatable. 3rd form keeps raping me.

Marek

Banned
I was in the mountains, unlocked the door that connects to the demon bell temple, killed the armored knight on the bridge and even found the white (and red/white) pinwheels, and gave it to that sobbing fat monk. Then I spirited him away, and to continue I need to kill Genichiro.

First two forms are almost step by step beatable. 3rd form keeps raping me.

Yeah I cleared the entire Sunken area. Now Im slaving away at Genichiro. Ive gotten to the third form a few times now and get pretty well owned immediately. I don't even rez unless i'm on the 3rd form.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Was so close on Genichiro 3 last night. Posture was rekt, prob had a good 3 or 5 more hits left and then I timed my jump wrong and got lightning up my ass.

But it's happening.

Marek

Banned
I just wish that a three beer buzz wasnt so performance decreasing for Genichiro.

Genichiro is officially cramping my style....

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Finally took Genichiro down.

Final form is actually pretty predictable, now that I think about it. its just really fucking OP. I usually end up having very little health after beating the 2nd form. So I start form 3 out with a gourd heal, and *immediately* start spamming the Mikiri counter while hes glowing green and G is flying forward with a stab, then Ichimonji 2 on his head to build up his posture a bit. He always starts the 3rd form fight with a long-range lunge/stab. I'm just not good enough to deflect the lightning blasts, so I just end up dodging toward him to the right (his left, I guess?). Just kept trading blades with him and finally took his ass down. I probably died to him over 100x all told. But it was definitely a fun fight. In the final run through this fight I probably used 1 gourd total, in form 3.

You got this man. You can do it.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
OK Gun Cunt SnakeEyes Shirahagi (the one in the poison swamp) is now sleeping with her dead Gun Cunt sister. She was actually pretty easy to cheese. On this one, I don't feel bad at all because fuck the Gun Cunts. Basically, starting from the idol thats in the opposite side of the room, hidden behind a huge statue, I went in and ganked the two or three gunners in the room, not counting the shotgunner, because fuck them.

I snuck behind GC2, and did a stealth DB. Then I used Firecrackers to stun her, and Ichimonji 2. Hit her with both Ichimonjis, then repeat the process.

Firecrackers -> Ichimonji 2 -> Firecrackers -> Ichimonji 2 etc until you get a DB mark, and kill her.

I still fucking hate the fact that these mobs are in the game at all. Shit man, I fought the Giant Ape once and got ape-raped, and was like "yeah, that was my fuckup." Genichiro like 100x. "Just had to get his patterns down."

Guncunts: bullshit.

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
So I beat it this morning, and I didn't like the game. TL;DR: Sorry if I shit on your new favorite game but Sekiro is kind of trash. And no, it has pretty much nothing to do with "difficulty."

My thoughts as follows:

Well the setting could be cool but it’s really boring. Feudal Japan has been done so many times, and even in 4K HDR it doesn’t look amazing. It’s either the same Japanese rooftops or rocky paths through a mountain. There’s tons of just foggy pits for really no reason. Enemy design is also pretty lazy. There’s humans, then big humans, and a few dogs, a bird enemy, and a couple demonic humanoids... it’s really nothing special. Nioh had way cooler enemies.

Story wise it’s nowhere near as deep as a Souls game. Basically there’s this line of immortals that are called the Divine Heirs of the Dragon Lineage (cliche much for Japan?) and this kid is the last and he doesn’t wanna do it anymore so you’re looking for a way to sever his immortality. There's really no "world" to build in this game because the "world" is just mythical Japan. Nothing cool about the different clans or anything. It’s mostly just this one area they call Ashina and that’s it.

Music is the standard fare for a Japan game but it could be way better. Okami had killer music from beginning to end. This is just a flute and drums over and over again, with some lone violins just for fun.

Now that the aesthetics are out of the way, let's talk gameplay.

Gameplay wise you have barely any customization of your play style. If you watch videos of Dark Souls bosses, people will have strategies based on what kind of build you have. Videos for this are just “you can cheese this boss by always dodging left.” You get your Katana, which you can get combat moves for... but you can only have one move on at a time. So like an overhead strike, or a spin slash, or whatever. You can use one of those. Otherwise your “combo” is just a bunch of nonstop swipes. Really boring to watch. I understand that this can be a callback to NES games like Ninja Gaiden where really you just memorized a boss's patterns and it became an FMV game, but I feel like we're beyond that point as a video game community.

The parrying and blocking system could have been locked down a lot more too. In Bloodborne you had a good idea of windows for things and could punish dudes pretty well. But you also didn’t have to play the game that way. This one is basically just to keep on top of guys, stay slightly to their side, and mash the block button. The issue I find is that you don’t even have to time it; if you just rapid fire mash, you’ll end up getting a parry. For the unblockable moves, where you can either dodge into thrusts for a counter that does posture damage, or the sweeps where you jump over them, it definitely babies you with a big warning sign before they happen. Not to say I didn't appreciate the telegraphing, but it kind of ruins the immersion of the gameplay.

Hit detection is bad. I saved a couple videos, recorded on my phone in slow-mo, and watched the replay to see how far away I was from an attack, and how long it took for my character to register that he was hit. It's really abysmal. I know that I-Frames have always been a thing in action-based games, but this one must just have some numbers off. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a patch later on that fixed a bunch of this.

The stealth aspect of the game is a total joke. In many portions, you are pit against a number of guys in some sort of courtyard. You can jump in a stealth kill one of them, and use your grappling hook to get away; when you do, everyone forgets that anything happened. I know this isn't MGS where enemies will have radios but holy shit, your friend just died and you're just gonna go back to standing in your little corner until I come back and stealth-kill another friend? What I'm saying is that the game doesn't really reward true stealth (killing off one guy at a time silently while nobody notices) any better than just hopping down from a ledge and then running away again. They've made backstabs and takedowns significantly easier in this than in Dark Souls, but they've taken away the rewarding feeling of doing it well.

A bunch of minor gripes in a row:
-Your health bottle is mapped to the up on the d-pad. Who came up with that idea?
-Everything costs way too much money. Even if you never died, you’d have to grind a lot to get just some regular items.
-Related to that, most of the texts that you find in the game to uncover some background you have to pay for.
-All of the male voices sound the exact same.
-People are currently able to beat this in 40 minutes. How broken does a 2019 game have to be if it can be finished in 40 minutes in the first couple days that the game is out?
-Oh and there’s a separate button you have to press to suck in loot (money) from enemies. Like Onimusha style.
-Terror is a stupid "status ailment." It's worse than Frenzy was in Bloodborne. Why do I have two meters where if they reach a certain point, I die? How about just one, and we'll call it HP.
-Many of the prosthetics, the only thing really customizing your battling, were totally worthless. Basically if you have the firecracker, you just use that to stun everything.

Pretty much a dud of a FromSoft game.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I don't think it's a dud. Definitely not as great as bloodborne, but I still have fun (not counting the shitty gun people).

I 100% agree with the button to suck in money though. Why not just have it auto collect?

As for the speed runners, there's always people who will literally take a week off work when game x or y is released.

I used to work with a dude that took two weeks off after one of the world of War craft expansions came out. I asked him why two weeks? He said he was going to play for 8 hours a day for those two weeks to get everything out of it. I don't think that's the games fault. It's just some fucking nerds with way too much time on their hands.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
This fucking game man.

Long periods of Time where you're just badass. Killer boss fight like Genichiro. Then you get some absolutely fucking bullshit corrupted monk that has range that can hit you when youre playing a completely different fucking console in another fucking state.

Makes no fucking sense. DS3 and Bb all bosses were equally challenging and rewarding. But this shit? Fuck man. Why can't they just have more of the good parts and less of the gun cunts and bullshit like corrupted monk.

Fuck dude I was able to beat shichimen warrior in like 2 tries. But this? Bullshit.

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
The corrupted monk? Dude just sprint around the giant arena, wait until he's done dancing like an idiot, then go hit him a couple times. He has no idea what to do if you're running around.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Started playing a few days ago, after finishing Way of the Strong and all the DLC in Nioh, and Bloodborne right before that. So far Sekiro feels like an okay Tenchu game and a mediocre Souls game.

edit: after playing a ton of Nioh, it's pretty jarring to go back to From's world design.

Last edited: