Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice by From Software 03/22/19 - Pump Level 15/10

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
General nobody is already dead...wut happens when you stab the chicken with it do you get to ride it for fast travel?

I really do feel like they lied right there tho...like it will work if you just try these dodges. When aggro works way better.

Ive heard the game is a balance between knowing when to play defensive, or offensive. So in some situations if you play the wrong way you're just gonna die.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I'm just a few hours in. The idea of a hit right after a guard crush taking 1 life bar is pretty brilliant... can't help but wonder how that would translate to a fighting game.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Is it stealthy like Tenchu or all out action like Ninja Gaiden?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Is it stealthy like Tenchu or all out action like Ninja Gaiden?

It's a pretty even mix of both. At least so far. Im about 4 hours in.

Its feels kinda like a mix of dark souls/metal gear\ninja gaiden black.

You sneak if you want, normally to eliminate most or all enemies, in order to make a tough fight more fair.

The item, and lore system is basically dark souls.

The fluid combat is like ninja gaiden black, or nioh.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I will say I like that there's no stamina bar, that I've encountered. Love love love Bloodborne, but stamina is the bane of my existence.

You can lose Posture, but if you're good about deflection, shouldn't be an issue.

I'm currently fighting the chained ogre. Haven't completed the dream mission yet, not sure if either one needs to be done first.

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
I will say I like that there's no stamina bar, that I've encountered. Love love love Bloodborne, but stamina is the bane of my existence.

You can lose Posture, but if you're good about deflection, shouldn't be an issue.

I'm currently fighting the chained ogre. Haven't completed the dream mission yet, not sure if either one needs to be done first.

Chained Ogre wasn't that bad compared with the boss at the end of that dream mission. She's a pain in the ass, but possibly optional?

This game has a lot more tutorial than any other Souls-type game, even a guy you can practice combat with at the beginning of the game any time you want.

So far, lots of people out on the internet saying this game is too hard. This is my first time playing a SoulsBorne game at launch, basically, so I don't know how people normally react, but I don't think it's any harder than any of the other FromSoft games particularly.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I quit at Drunkard Juzoh last night after about 15 deaths. He's kind of a jerk.

Thing is though he doesn't seem that hard. I can go in there from the beginning with that guy, and rape all the people there in about 10 seconds without getting scratched. Then that guy still helps me till just after the drunk asshole takes one critical attack. At that point I die. I can get very close, but that stupid sweep attack always hits me.

I tried eliminating the mobs before triggering the NPC to help, bit that takes forever and feels like cheating. Guess I will mess around with it today and see what happens.

I did just realize theres a second tree to buy abilities in, so maybe I need to grind out a few of those.

So far the difficulty seems like any Souls game. The stages ain't bad but the bosses are assholes.

I'd say I had a MUCH harder time starting out in Bloodborne.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I'd say I had a MUCH harder time starting out in Bloodborne.

Agreed. It's definitely hard, but bloodborne had a much higher learning curve for non souls/borne/kiro players.

I started playing these games with DSIII, and gave up because I didn't get it. Playing bloodborne was hard at first but then something just clicked, and I got the hang of it.

I'm by NO MEANS a good bloodborne player, but I can definitely survive.

Finally beat the ogre, though. I basically stealth killed the 3 guys in the area, then attracted the ogre, left his line of sight, snuck behind him and deathblow #1 was a given. Then it was just trial and error to finally gank him.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Make sure you train with the undead guy on the right fork right in the beginning. I was getting my ass kicked until I did all the training (up to that point) and it was smooth sailing afterwards. I also remapped attack to Square button and Deflect to R1. It feels much better than finger gymnastic with left hand controlling and deflecting at the same time.

Marek

Banned
The drunkard is easy if you stealth kill everyone around the left side of the courtyard and initiate the fight with a stealth kill on the shield soldier on the lookers left of Drunkard.

Then immediately jump dash and kill the archer.

Run around and kite the sword units and then use your axe to take out the remaining shields.

Then talk to the samurai near the entrance and trade aggro on and off with him. You'll demolish the Drunkard super fast.

The next boss is fucking insane. Its the first full on souls difficulty boss and im getting rekt over and over.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
The drunkard is easy if you stealth kill everyone around the left side of the courtyard and initiate the fight with a stealth kill on the shield soldier on the lookers left of Drunkard.

Then immediately jump dash and kill the archer.

Run around and kite the sword units and then use your axe to take out the remaining shields.

Then talk to the samurai near the entrance and trade aggro on and off with him. You'll demolish the Drunkard super fast.

The next boss is fucking insane. Its the first full on souls difficulty boss and im getting rekt over and over.

Yep that's where im at now. I beat the drunkard today first try. I just killed the left path and snuck one of those shield guys. After that i ran back to the swamp and grappled on top that rock. As soon as the fat ass lost aggro i jumped down and did a sneak attack. After that it was smooth sailing.

So, the lady... After about 5 tries I thought I beat her. It was rough... I think the axe helps, cause as soon as I tried it, I managed to do well enough to break her posture. Thought I raped her... Then it began...

So I'm not sure what to do now. I used that damn snap seed at the very beginning if the fight stupidly. It's super obvious now what I was suppose to do.

This will probably be a wall.

Thing is shes not that hard, but my Mikari counter NEVER works, out of like 50 attempts. If I could stick those I could do this for sure.

So if anyone has info on the Mikari timing on this boss please explain.

Her sweep attack that requires a Mikari is the worst. Just like Juzou. Whenever I hit circle on a sweep attack that requires mikari I just dash right into that shit and take massive damage.

I dont know if it's just circle and a direction, or no analog movements and just circle??? In training it works every time, but on a boss nothing..

Last edited:

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I bailed on that boss after seeing her once and I'm building up stats by following the present day path. I'm curious as to why the Mikiri Counter would be used against a sweep, though. I thought it countered thrusts only and you need the Jump, Jump, Attack counter vs sweeps.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I bailed on that boss after seeing her once and I'm building up stats by following the present day path. I'm curious as to why the Mikiri Counter would be used against a sweep, though. I thought it countered thrusts only and you need the Jump, Jump, Attack counter vs sweeps.

Yeah my brother mentioned that too. I think I was confused that when the red thing flashes I thought I was suppose to do a Mikari counter.

I dont think I have this jump counter. Is that a skill you buy with exp?

So I aborted that. Killed the guy on the horse the 2nd try. On the bull now.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
No, jump counter is available by default, I think. It is in the 2nd set of training exercises at the temple.

Marek

Banned
Glad to see im not alone here.

I got within spitting distance of her second form, but got wiped. FWIW i saw a strat online that says dont use the snap seed, just strafe kite and get behind one of the wooden beams and all the illusion butterfly projectiles hit the post instead of you. Idk. Im gonna have to get stumped on the main story pretty hard before i feel like going after her again.

Im just gonna work on the bull now. I only took one crack at him before work.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
The way I beat the Butterfly was to attack twice after dodging her, and use whirlwind slash immediately after. If you do that it will deal damage even if blocked and you won't get hit. Afterwards just retreat and keep dodging/parry.If you don't wanna learn the tells of whether a sweep or jump grab is happening, just jump whenever the red kanji appears. Afterwards run towards her and do a running slash.

For the second form just run around the entire map edges until the illusions disappear. When you see the illusions disappearing hide behind a pillar and block. You can also run around them.

Whenever you see her jump back or a flash of light happens she is using magic to home in on you (they appear white) so run away. I wrecked her via chip damage from whirlwind then went for a deathblow. I've also read fireworks can destroy the illusions.

For the bull use firecrackers / lock on and run. You can easily outmaneuver him with lock on and run.He will charge at you and then turn around. That is when you want to fireworks/hit him around 2-3 times and parry block, then run away repeat. Beat him on my first try.

Last edited:

Marek

Banned
Good info there chuchu.

I had ichimonji equipped and kept accidentally using that skill from blocking. Ill reequip whirlwind and try again.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
The way I beat the Butterfly was to attack twice after dodging her, and use whirlwind slash immediately after. If you do that it will deal damage even if blocked and you won't get hit. Afterwards just retreat and keep dodging/parry.If you don't wanna learn the tells of whether a sweep or jump grab is happening, just jump whenever the red kanji appears. Afterwards run towards her and do a running slash.

For the second form just run around the entire map edges until the illusions disappear. When you see the illusions disappearing hide behind a pillar and block. You can also run around them.

Whenever you see her jump back or a flash of light happens she is using magic to home in on you (they appear white) so run away. I wrecked her via chip damage from whirlwind then went for a deathblow. I've also read fireworks can destroy the illusions.

For the bull use firecrackers / lock on and run. You can easily outmaneuver him with lock on and run.He will charge at you and then turn around. That is when you want to fireworks/hit him around 2-3 times and parry block, then run away repeat. Beat him on my first try.

That's basically what ive been doing, with both the lady and the bull. The bull went down easy, after I figured him out. Just stay behind him. When he wigs out use the crack.

The butterfly lady obviously should be tried later. I think I can take her, but now I cured that rot, and from now on vow not to resurrect unless I have 2 dragon blood on me. My issue with her is in her second form, when she attacks I haven't figured out how to not take damage from the butterflies.

Also, that part where you stab the snake in the eye is sweet.

Last edited:

Marek

Banned
Made it to butterfly form 2 and then rage quit

Whirlwind slash is for sure the move to use, but i need to be less of a pussy and deflect her 4 move kick series rather than block everything

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Made it to butterfly form 2 and then rage quit

Whirlwind slash is for sure the move to use, but i need to be less of a pussy and deflect her 4 move kick series rather than block everything

I haven't found a way to deflect shit. I try but it never works. I just do the first form extremely patient. Only attack after she dive bombs you, or after her kick move. If she jumps in the air, throw a ninja star to stun her. You might get an entire whirlwind in that way, maybe two.

So the second form is like posted above. Run in a circle and then duck behind a pillar until she fires all the lights at you. After this, it seems like the same fight as first form, except all the damn butterflies after her melee attacks make it hard to hit her without taking damage.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Just beat horsey man.

Man that was a fun fight. I'm so terrible at these games, I'm all about avoidance and keeping my distance. That is *not* what is needed in this game. Defensive aggressiveness is what's needed.

Last night I prob died 4 times before hitting the sack. Today I faced him once, died, reloaded, and then kicked him in the dick.

So far I'm God damned loving this game.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Just got done fighting
Spoiler:
the Great Ape

Here are my thoughs so far

-Game is fun but the parry system is really glorified trial and error. I feel like most encounters are balanced around using the poorly implemented stealth to get the go on enemies. Crowd control in this game is not its strong suit, even less so than dark souls.

-Enemies especially bosses do way too much damage (often 60-70% on one hit). I rather have a longer battle that is an endurance test instead of "rah you died in one hit/2 hits since it often combos from a fast as fuck attack" until you find the pattern. Only one battle thus far didn't hit you like were on ng+7
Spoiler:
"Genichiro Ashina"
. His fight was pretty cool

-Last I've had some weird input bugs where blocking/dodging doesn't happen. Even holding the button down. From reading online others have noted it. Very frustrating when you get killed because of it. Random stutter and lag too on the pc.

-Overall im enjoying the experience but not sure if I will replay that many times vs dark souls. Some of these skills and prosthetics are the shits and seem generally useless. Spear, firecrackers, fire, and axe seem to be the winners. Metal gear stealth kills is too powerful of an option imo. Kinda stagnates the game on replays since a lot of enemies you can just reset. Case in point like at the Temple. If you sneak you will reck the monks, if you don't and there are 3-5 of them on you will get wrecked. Same with minibosses.

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Beat the bull. It wasnt too bad.

My next target. I went up against it once and died, but haven't gone back. Decided to finish up Hirata Estate. Just fought Lady Butterfly for the first time and got creamed. Will try again tomorrow. I was finally able to kill the big fat drunk dude. Fought him prob 3 or 4 times. I started by killing all of his cronies, but not activating the NPC. Snuck up on him, death blow #1, then run to the NPC, activate, then use the axe and that downward strike combat art along with a little patience. Didn't go too bad.