Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice by From Software 03/22/19 - Pump Level 15/10

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I must have lost to Seven Spears a dozen times in a row before I finally beat him by throwing oil and then using the flame vent. Dude was kind of annoying.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
I must have lost to Seven Spears a dozen times in a row before I finally beat him by throwing oil and then using the flame vent. Dude was kind of annoying.

Hes tough, but I like the fact that the game gives you a bunch of tools and its up to the player to determine how to use them. Players have defeated him in so many different ways, and most games don't allow for that sort of approach

Marek

Banned
Corrupted monk is down. Now Im going back through and cleaning up some mini-bosses I skipped.

Im pretty excited to get to the end of the game so I can watch speedrun vids without ruining everything for myself.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
finished playthrough NG+4 last night. Got the last ending (shura) The additional boss fights were a lot of fun. Now its time to put the game away until DLC comes out, and then start a fresh playthrough

Marek

Banned
finished playthrough NG+4 last night. Got the last ending (shura) The additional boss fights were a lot of fun. Now its time to put the game away until DLC comes out, and then start a fresh playthrough

I think my second playthrough will probably take half as long or less than the first. I'm about to dig in to the Owl fight after I beat a few guys I skipped (headless 1 and 2, 7 spears).

Im pretty stoked for the inevitable DLC. Makes me wonder what they'll take from the response to the main game and try to improve, or at least add a lot more content that people liked i.e. more Genichiro style encounters

edit : Totally REKT the owl. Mortal Draw is fucking sick.

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I finally beat Ginichiro after three days of trying. I was stubborn and kept trying to use Ichimonji Double in both of the first two phases then finally actually learned all his moves and just deflected him into oblivion. Third phase was giving me even more trouble, especially with the lightning being something of a pain in the ass (at best I was able to reflect maybe 50% of the time), then realized that if you stay glued to him and constantly slash he stops deflecting and just blocks everything and his posture drops like a rock. Ducked under the lightning. No problem. Ginichiro really forces you to learn to play the game right. Supposedly you can cheese his first two forms with Shadow Rush somewhat, but learning to win that fight for real feels worthwhile.

Gotta be the most trouble I've ever had with a From boss, felt really, really good to finally win that one.

Then I went straight to the Folding Screen Monkeys since I'd already done all of the rest of Senpou and won that fight in about a minute or so, lol.

Marek

Banned
Congratulations. Beating Genichiro was incredibly satisfying, as cheesing him is much harder than just learning to do it the right way.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Thanks! Yeah, he makes you look at yourself and say hey, do I wanna learn how to do this right or not. Speaks to good game design that he's monstrously difficult at first but obviously fair and inspires people to learn the game and ultimately like it even more, which seems to have been the case for a whole lot of players judging from the various reddits, forums, etc.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
The Gen fight was awesome. Isshin too. But the retarded shit like the double apes, or the monk (2nd true form was way easier) just irked me.

Marek

Banned
The True Monk is pissing me the fuck off.

His third form is just hard, the second form makes me want to break things around my house.

The spirits are cheap as fuck, and you can no longer cheese him with deathblows prior to the 1st phase starting.

Fuck the second form so hard.

And of course the divine confetti and snap seed merchant option is locked behind this piece of shit who confetti is uber useful against.

Last edited:

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler

His third form is just hard, the second form makes me want to break things around my house.

The spirits are cheap as fuck, and you can no longer cheese him with deathblows prior to the 1st phase starting.

And of course the divine confetti and snap seed merchant option is locked behind this piece of shit who confetti is uber useful against.

you can grapple one of the trees close to the entrance of the fight, and the illusions cant hit you. Thats how i did it the first time before knowing about the deathblows. He was a hard fight though, and i had to use a rice, divine, and a few other items to get the win.
Yeah.....Mortal draw is really good. I think shadow rush is the best move though (still have one skill to unlock though)

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member

You can stealth deathblow her first two bars. Then the last form I use firecrackers.

I am stuck on Owl (Father)... any tips.

Marek

Banned
You can stealth deathblow her first two bars. Then the last form I use firecrackers.

I am stuck on Owl (Father)... any tips.

You actually cant DB the first bar after the recent update. Sucks. The second you can. But its almost impossible now. I've got it once.

Owl is all about strafing at mid range and using whirlwind slash when he does the 2 shiruken overhead slam

You can also use firecrackers when theres an opening.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
You actually cant DB the first bar after the recent update. Sucks. The second you can. But its almost impossible now. I've got it once.

Owl is all about strafing at mid range and using whirlwind slash when he does the 2 shiruken overhead slam

You can also use firecrackers when theres an opening.

Super weak.

The second Owl fight in the memory, its like I barely do any damage to him at all, nor can I get any openings.

Marek

Banned
Super weak.

The second Owl fight in the memory, its like I barely do any damage to him at all, nor can I get any openings.

Hm. He only took me 10 tries.

I basically run around until I see that double shiruken, then he gets garunteed mortal blade in the second phase.

Make sure you use no emblems on the first phase then own him with mortal blades on the second.

Last edited:

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Super weak.

after an opening, attack and if he goes for the firecracker, you can back dodge it, then get another attack in during his recovery

Marek

Banned
The Divine Dragon is such a cool fight, but it makes me SO FUCKING MAD when I miss with the lightning bolts.

Also the dragon is a cheap motherfucker. I got to the final phase and apparently you have to block his 10 story tall sword? Cool....

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
The Divine Dragon is such a cool fight, but it makes me SO FUCKING MAD when I miss with the lightning bolts.

Also the dragon is a cheap motherfucker. I got to the final phase and apparently you have to block his 10 story tall sword? Cool....

You notice hes missing his left arm as well

Marek

Banned
You notice hes missing his left arm as well

I didnt notice that! Pretty cool.

Beat him. Now Im on the good old Sword Saint. Holy fuck, this might take me all week...

Now that I have unlimited divine confetti I'm going to go back and fuck up all the Sechimin (sic) and headless minibosses I skipped for lack of confetti.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
nor can I get any openings.
I had to surf Youtube to find a way to get openings on that boss. IIRC, the trick is that you have to maintain half screen distance then walk towards him as he starts running towards you. The 'chicken' tactic forces the AI to use only certain moves that are guaranteed to miss if you dodge forward left or forward right (forward but away from the opponent), and you end up getting an opening for a free hit in the back. There is a lot more to learning the fight, but that tactic keeps things competitive long enough to pick up everything else.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Is it just me, or is Terror in this more of a consistent irritant than the usual From status ailments? Curse in DS was really annoying when it cut your health in half, but there aren't many enemies that use it and by the second half of the game it's easy to buy the dispel item. Frenzy in Bloodborne makes the Winter Lanterns a pain in the ass, but there's so few of them (and Frenzy doesn't kill you outright) that they never get to be too much of a problem.

Goddamn, though, it seems like enemies that inflict Terror and/or require Divine Confetti to damage them are all over the second half of Sekiro.

ook is dead-on about Terror, basically.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
True Monk may not be deathblowable anymore, but she sure as heck can get stuck on the tree and then vanish to give you the win. I tried this last night and it worked first try, gotta think it's going to be patched ASAP:

Marek

Banned
Lol that's the second best cheese in the game.

The demon of hatred cheese is god tier.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Yeah I was pretty thoroughly entertained by his similar willingness to dive off the edge. Tried that one a couple nights ago and I was surprised it hasn't been patched out yet.

Now I'm stuck on Isshin, dude makes Gen seem like a cakewalk.

Edit: beat him on my second try today, the umbrella works wonders.

Great game overall but I still prefer DS/BB.

Last edited: