Which Console has the strongest library of all time?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
With exception of Nintendo, and Neo Geo, which console/handheld has the strongest, and most diverse library of games?

When I say strongest, I mean the highest percentage of good games.

At first I was thinking the Playstation 1, it in my opinion has the most good games compared to any other console, however, the library is so large. I think that leaves it with a small percentage of good games.

So I think I'm leaning toward the Sega Dreamcast. It has a small library, with a lot of really good games.

Just to be clear here, I'm talking English console libraries.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Objectively speaking probably first gen PS3. It's a bit of a cheat but you can add PS1 and PS2 libraries to the PS3s.
Single console-wise surely the PS2?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Im a big fan of the Saturn. But 'strongest' library? Id say Dreamcast.

But if you *were* to include Japanese games, I think the Saturn would probably be my winner.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
If we are talking quality of the games in comparison to the size of it's library? I would vote Dreamcast. Such a great library of quality games considering it's selection size.

PS2 does have a lot of quality games in it's library but there is so much junk and filler filth that you have to sift through that it drags it down.

Last edited:

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Objectively speaking probably first gen PS3. It's a bit of a cheat but you can add PS1 and PS2 libraries to the PS3s.

This ^

PS2 had the biggest library and the most amount of decent games imo.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If you include all the retro packs I'd probably say PS2. Which is funny, since out of all the major systems I've probably played PS2 the least.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I owned a Dreamcast upon release and during its whole life cycle. It was great and had a lot of fun games. Same experience with the Saturn.
That said, both systems are way overated

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I owned a Dreamcast upon release and during its whole life cycle. It was great and had a lot of fun games. Same experience with the Saturn.
That said, both systems are way overated
Maaan I dunno. Sometimes I just boot my DC to hear the bios boot up. I love that little box.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Most diverse is PS2, easy, and it had a ton of great games, but it started to approach Wii-like levels of sheer garbage on there toward the end of its lifespan.

Quality per release, hmm, probably gonna go Saturn, with an argument to be made for DC, as has been noted.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
3DO...Oh wait I mean Cdi.....I mean PCFX...

Yoshi

20 Year Member
If the topic were just total number of good games, these would be my answers too, but all of the PlayStations have had a mountain of shovelware that would make all but maybe the Wii and DS blush. It’s counter-intuitive, but systems that sold worse actually have an advantage within the parameters of the thread.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Virtual Boy. Most of its few games actually aren't total trash.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If the topic were just total number of good games, these would be my answers too, but all of the PlayStations have had a mountain of shovelware that would make all but maybe the Wii and DS blush. It’s counter-intuitive, but systems that sold worse actually have an advantage within the parameters of the thread.

If we're going by good/bad ratio then the NGPC easily wins.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
If we're going by good/bad ratio then the NGPC easily wins.
Yep. Good call. I was thinking outside the box and was going to throw the Lynx out, but I think the NGPC has it beat. It's a much tougher call for consoles, unless you take a cheesy way out, like the SuperGrafx above.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I would go with the PSP. Save my life when i worked graveyard. Lots of great titles.