Decent HDMI Famiclone?

-SD-

Camel Slug
So are there any reasonably decent Famiclones with HDMI output, or does such a thing not exist?

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
So are there any reasonably decent Famiclones with HDMI output, or does such a thing not exist?
The AVS looks like a good option, I know a lot of members here have them and have enjoyed the quality.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The AVS, NT Mini and MISTer are the best options out there currently.
This, exactly this. I have the AVS and it's excellent. Hyperkin makes a cheap one, but they just take the composite and run it through an awful internal HDMI converter.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
This, exactly this. I have the AVS and it's excellent. Hyperkin makes a cheap one, but they just take the composite and run it through an awful internal HDMI converter.
Doesn't the AVS have a built in Game Genie?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've never used it but yeah it's there.

adeneo

n00b
I have the original Analogue Nt, it's really just an expensive NES with a new PCB and HiDefNES installed, works great but I rarely use it.
You could get an original Famicom/NES with HiDefNES installed or have someone install it for you.
Personally I'd rather go for RGB mods on my consoles, and use OSSC/Framemeister for the upscaling.

There's several cheaper options available as well, like Retron 5, Super Retro Trio, RetroFreak etc.
I think they all play Famicom games and have HDMI output, but probably just upscaled from analog?

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I just like Game Genie for corruption codes and to phase through walls in Metroid that you can wall jump through.

-SD-

Camel Slug
Thanks for the information chaps... the AVS looks like it’d probably be the best bet.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
There's several cheaper options available as well, like Retron 5, Super Retro Trio, RetroFreak etc.
I think they all play Famicom games and have HDMI output, but probably just upscaled from analog?

I don't know about the Trio, but the Retron 5 and Retrofreak both use emulators. I have a Retrofreak and it works pretty well, but I'd take the AVS, NT, or a RGB real system with an OSSC over it anyday.