Trouble with my Neo Geos :(

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
somehow I can't get any luck with getting one fully-working Neo Geo system and a 161 in 1...

I have a MV-1 that gives the error message about address 02F00C0. if I press C the games seem to work okay though... Maybe this is just an incompatibility with Uni Bios v2.3?

My MV-1B seems to work okay except for Aero Fighters 3. when I play that game on the multicart the bullets just stay stuck on the screen...what a weird glitch. I doubt this is a problem with the cart since it doesn't do that on my MV-1.

then I have another MV-1 that just constantly resets itself. ugh. I have another thread about that, it looks like I need to get a diagnostic BIOS.

I just want one working Neo! for the love of gaming...

Attachments

• neo geo error.jpg
    neo geo error.jpg
    613 KB · Views: 131

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
and here's the Aero Fighters 3 glitch.

Attachments

• neo aero glitch.jpg
    neo aero glitch.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 130

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The Aero Fighters games on the 161 are busted, they all do that. Do yourself a favor and buy a cheap legit cart to test the board before going any further, since most of the time if you have problems with a multicart it's the cheap shitty multicart.

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
The Aero Fighters games on the 161 are busted, they all do that. Do yourself a favor and buy a cheap legit cart to test the board before going any further, since most of the time if you have problems with a multicart it's the cheap shitty multicart.

ah ok. but why would Aero Fighters 3 work fine on my MV-1?
I'm going to see about borrowing a legit game from my buddy.
can anyone confirm if that error message is the Uni Bios incompatibility?

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
You can solve these issues by throwing the multicart in the trash.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
ah ok. but why would Aero Fighters 3 work fine on my MV-1?
I'm going to see about borrowing a legit game from my buddy.
can anyone confirm if that error message is the Uni Bios incompatibility?

I dunno, ask the shitty cart maker. Aero Fighters 2 may seem fine too but as someone who owns both games I can tell you they don't work properly.

I'm not a collector, I'm not bashing multicart use in general, but anything that's not a NeoSD is a piece of junk.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
The error screen is also related to how the 161in1 works. Newer UniBios version use a hack so the crash is skipped.

Raz

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Inserts cheap shitty chinese multicart

Gets error

Questions Unibios

Is told it's his cheap shitty chinese multicart

Questions Unibios

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
ok tried the MV-1 with my friend's legit Samurai Showdown 1. No more Uni Bios crash but sound cuts out after a few minutes of gameplay... seems pretty random, has anyone seen this symptom before?

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Clean the system and game and clear the backup ram.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
^This. A little cleaning and dumping the RAM can work wonders.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
As others have said - clear the backup RAM. But regards to that Aero Fighters glitch, if memory serves you might find it works if you switch the unbios region or change to console from arcade mode. I forget which. There are a couple of games like that on the 161 in 1. Regards exceptions, could be a bad ROM image on the cart (for specific games), have you done any "fixes" to that multicart - eg. add missing caps, regulator mod etc?

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
As others have said - clear the backup RAM. But regards to that Aero Fighters glitch, if memory serves you might find it works if you switch the unbios region or change to console from arcade mode. I forget which. There are a couple of games like that on the 161 in 1. Regards exceptions, could be a bad ROM image on the cart (for specific games), have you done any "fixes" to that multicart - eg. add missing caps, regulator mod etc?

Hey GadgetUK! Thanks for the advice everyone- I think I got the MV-1 and MV-1B working OK now :) the backup RAM ICs had to be replaced last year and since then I've left the battery out. I did some cleanup work, and was afraid that some of my repairs were the issue. Turns out it just needed some cart slot cleaning / reseating and also (this one is weird) it seems to help if the back plate behind the cart slot isn't screwed too tight.

Seems weird to me that that would cause audio to cut out completely halfway through the game, but it is what it is. I'm gonna play some more games to make sure, but it seems to be working now :)

That's great info on the Aero Fighters 3! That must've been what happened, I think I changed it to JP Arcade mode and got it to work... Makes sense now that it only worked on my MV-1 and not 1B because of the socketed BIOS! Mystery solved.

I'm planning to design a simple PCB DIP socket for the MV-1B BIOS. I know one has been done already with a snap on PLCC, but I think it would be nice to have a solder version too.

-SSF

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Audio cutting out is a very common issue when the cart isn't making a good connection.