Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your opinion of the n64 platform?

drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.

Xmas 1998 the N64 arrived in the living room and it came with Pokemon Snap! oh what a wonderful xmas! which was completely forgotten when Goldeneye came round. Shortly after a friend down the street had a chipped PS1 and the N64 was no more....

!!

Follower of Orochi

Quote Originally Posted by DevilRedeemed View Post
    It's worth having just for 4 or 5 games. Those games are that good/that important in videogame history. Mario64 and the Zelda releases are really all you need.
    Historical importance won't save a game from aging badly. Those games you mention are good and important, though.

Baxter McMuggle

Quote Originally Posted by oliverclaude View Post
    Historical importance won't save a game from aging badly. Those games you mention are good and important, though.
    I don't agree. "Aging badly" is a matter of perspective. They are 3d cart based games, with everything that entails - made and produced by some of the greatest game makers of all time. Mario 64 is perfect to this day. Videogame equivalent of classic literature. I have stressed this before and I stand by it. N64 is worth only if only for Mario 64. It is that meaningful. Also there is something to be said about expecting to enjoy a game of olde the way it was to be enjoyed in the past. Old videogames are about history and where they fit in and what they achieved across the field (sometimes). Sometimes they are even worth playing
    Last edited by DevilRedeemed; 03-15-2019 at 07:31 PM.
    Igs waz here

Calling Mario 64 “perfect” is ridiculous. The camera is objectively bad for example.

Formerly Raz_Hoe.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Calling Mario 64 “perfect” is ridiculous.
    I agree.

Baxter McMuggle

I have no problem in being ridiculous. Talking about bad camera angles in this particular game is nigh ridiculous.
    The game is perfect for what it is. I don't particularly like Mario games. Just this one.
    To me it is perfect as something ambitious and made with passion. You can find many faults with it technically but the world it beckons you to enter is singular. Perfect from a subjective perspective is what I mean.
    Igs waz here

There’s no doubt that it was a hugely important game. For a long time, it was easily the best transition from 2D to 3D. I’m frankly afraid to revisit it these days, because I have fond memories I’d rather not risk. I feel that way about most of the 3D games from that era. I wish Nintendo were remaking that instead of making Link’s Awakening look worse for example.

Baxter McMuggle

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    There’s no doubt that it was a hugely important game. For a long time, it was easily the best transition from 2D to 3D. I’m frankly afraid to revisit it these days, because I have fond memories I’d rather not risk. I feel that way about most of the 3D games from that era. I wish Nintendo were remaking that instead of making Link’s Awakening look worse for example.
    My advice would be to revisit it

but if you can, cleanse yourself of any expectations, of recent experiences with more modern games, maybe read an interview or two regarding the production of the game, and allow some of the nostalgia to sweep over you. Also try and not judge any sentiments produced by the clunkiness of the thing. It is a goofy clunky game as much as it is so finely crafted.

I view something like this as not only a landmark title but also something to be appreciated within a particular context. To me much of the charm here (and with other Miyamoto games on the system) is that it is cart based gaming in a cd-governed world, with cart related limitations but also characteristics which made for a type of gaming we where more used to (the cart as a solid object "containing the game", no load times). It's an audacious and strange game full of little challenges and puzzles in a relatively limited small playing field. The fact that there is nothing random about this small world makes it all the more intriguing, it's like it was made by an architect or engineer, to be enjoyed at the micro as well as the macro level.

From Wikipedia:
    He (Miyamoto) guided the design of the Nintendo 64 controller in tandem with that of Super Mario 64.
    That kind of blow my mind, Mario 64 was an experiment, a concept as much as it was a game, and the controller was tailor-made for this particular game.
    The Zelda games where directed/produced by Miyamoto and used a modified Mario 64 engine.

When you watch a film such as The Birds, you kind of have to sink into it a little, like getting into a very hot bath. But it is no way inferior to anything made since, just because it is in black and white with a different pacing and audience in mind.

By the way, I know I am exaggerating a little.
    Last edited by DevilRedeemed; 03-15-2019 at 10:00 PM.
    Igs waz here

Galford's Armourer

I havent read the whole thread, but I'll chime in

Im one of those that wasn't a fan of the N64. I can probably count all the "good" games on two hands. Sure we got stuff like Mario 64 which was a great game, camera not withstanding. Ocarina was pretty great for it's time. I wasnt a HUGE fan of Goldeneye but ok, sure it was good. But I mean, "good games" on the NES? "Good" games on the Genesis? Saturn? PS1? SNES? Neo? TG16? Assloads.

Anyway the controller was klunky, even considering that we/game designers didn't really know much about control in a 3D game at the time. That type of 3D control was in it's infancy, I guess? Holding it for 3D games basically removed the D-pad completely. Cameras were issues unto themselves. Graphically the N64 was a muddy mess. I dont believe graphics make a good game, but visually speaking, the N64 games looked like a mess, and the PS1/Saturn which were supposedly half as powerful could do just about anything the N64 could do.

I dunno. I dont think it was a complete shit system, but it was definitely the Wii of its day.

Crazed MVS Addict

The system definitely has it's drawbacks. I usually see people be able to be happy with the system once they get the 5 or 6 games that really matter to them. Then they are content with what they have.

Although the AV output on the console sucks. Svideo makes it bearable. I think the patents on the hardware are finally expired if I recall correctly. I am actually hoping for some cheap clone consoles with native HDMI output to hit the market, but I think high quality emulation has filled that void already.

Krizalid's Fashion Designer

I think there is more than just 4 or 5 good games on the system - you just have to be into platformers, arcade racers, and party games. If we're dismissing all the 1st party titles, then really the same can be said about any Nintendo system that followed this too.

For fighting games, the system is known for having a bunch of crappy ones, and the controller is a major issue. That being said, one can get used to it and there are a couple of exceptions:
    -Killer Instinct Gold, it's this, the SNES port or buy the PCB
    -Mortal Kombat 4 - Graphics & frame rate seem better to me than the PS1 if you're into this game
    -Mace: The Dark Age - simple game but when it came out I was really into it - only on n64 and the arcade

Thread Information