Your opinion of the n64 platform?

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
What do you guys think of the n64? Is it a great console overall or one to avoid these days? I’ve bought and sold my n64 stuff a couple of times over the last 8 years of collecting. I just can’t decide if it’s worth keeping at times.

What’s your opinion?

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
It was an amazing console at the time with some great games.
But it has not aged well and the controllers are hard to find without knackered sticks.
Also does not support RGB natively but can be mod'd if its a NTSC one.

On the plus side you can get a good new control pad from retro fighters and with a everdrive they can be lots of fun and had for little money so each to their own.

I still have my original one upstairs plus a RGB mod'd one but it rarely gets used tbh.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Get a system and an Everdrive. Done. It has a few great games so it's worth keeping around but it's really not worth collecting for.

adeneo

n00b
Didn't like it when it came out, it hasn't aged well, and still don't like it.

At the time of release, Sega had already been selling the Saturn for years, and just a few months after the N64 came out, Sega released the Dreamcast, both of which where better consoles than the N64, in my opinion!
With aftermarket boards for RGB or HDMI available for the N64, the picture quality can be pretty good these days, but the controller still sucks, and a lot of the games seem really outdated, even more so than NES and SNES.

For collecting, the N64 isn't bad, it has few titles and a lot of cheap games, for playing, I'd go with something else, most likely Neo Geo.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
It's worth having just for 4 or 5 games. Those games are that good/that important in videogame history. Mario64 and the Zelda releases are really all you need. Probably the most significant games of the time period, in hindsight particularly

Last edited:

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
Other than the fact emulation for it is shite, there is very little reason to own one these days. I really do struggle to get excited about it, which is sad, as I dreamed about it when I was a kid. Didn't own one until my teens and even then the games were really starting to show their age. Goemon, Snowboard Kids and Fire Pro Wrestling, Doom 64 and the 3D Bomberman games are all fun, as is Pilotwings.

The Zeldas, Perfect Dark etc. run like shit these days. Time has not been kind.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I keep it purely for nostalgic reasons.

The Brawler controller is awesome for it, as it's comfy albeit a bit lighter than I'd like.

The mods for RGB and HDMI are crazy expensive, but that's up to you to decide if it's worth it or if you're keeping it on S-video in your setup. I have mine RGB modded.

Like Gohan said, an everdrive would be best, especially since you can deactivate anti-aliasing in it and it saves to the SD card instead of controller paks. I don't see myself buying any more N6r games, I have all that I need and I'm happy with it.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
N64 is really hard to go back to. Blurry textures, fog everywhere and low framerates. Plus most of its best games got ported to better hardware:

Zelda Ocarina of Time & Majora's Mask are on 3DS
StarFox 64 is on 3DS
Mario 64 is on DS
Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemini, Killer Instinct Gold, Perfect Dark and Conker's Bad Fur Day are all on the XBox One Rare Replay collection
Bangai-o is on Dreamcast

Overall, I say either Avoid or go the Everdrive route.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
This thread is so blurry, I can't even read any of the replies.
What's it about?

Yoshi

20 Year Member
This thread is so blurry, I can't even read any of the replies.
What's it about?
Winner.

/thread

In all seriousness, the only games on it that I get nostalgic about and hasn't been ported is Beetle Adventure Racing, but I'm not risking my fond memories by playing it again in 2019.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I'll just wait until I get glaucoma when I get old, why bother trying it out before then? I'm sure I won't like it.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
N64 is trash, always has been and always will be.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Excluding emulation, there are less than 10 games that are still exclusive to the N64 which might be worth playing. Unless you're interested in playing at least most of those games, the N64 is a waste of money/time/space.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I have to agree with everyone it has not aged well at all. It was my second console ever after the genesis. I’ve bought two lots in the past few days tho.

1. For 80 locally I got Ice blue funtastic system with grey non matching controller, With 13 games cart only ( Mario tennis , Diddy Kong racing, blast corps, command and conquer, nfl blitz, fighters destiny, Turok 2, Glover , aero gauge, wcw mayhem, and 3 sports games.

2. For 70 On a non video game forum I got a black system, 3 controllers, NFL Blitz,Super Mario 64, GoldenEye 007, MarioKart 64, Donkey Kong 64, NBA ShowTime, Madden 2001, and Super Smash Bros I’ve yet to get it yet just sent PayPal

So for 160 got a decent collection even if it’s still a shit system. Something makes me keep it around. Maybe cause it’s so cheap to collect for .

Last edited:

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
There is about 10 games I think are fantastic. I wish the DD came out here and was supported better.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
When I was in 5th grade, there was a slumber party with some friends and I brought Mischief Makers, and we all spent some time trying to beat that boss in the lava level, the Junior guy where you use his own fists to hit himself.

It was the first of many times where the N64 was a party machine - Goldeneye, Mario Kart, Mario Party. A time where boys would bring a game over for some split-screen gaming fun.

Not saying it's better than what is available now. In fact, I have never played a video game online with other people. But the N64, for its time - and compared to the PS1 - was a righteous party machine. For pre-teens and teens, at least.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
When I was in 5th grade, there was a slumber party with some friends and I brought Mischief Makers, and we all spent some time trying to beat that boss in the lava level, the Junior guy where you use his own fists to hit himself.

It was the first of many times where the N64 was a party machine - Goldeneye, Mario Kart, Mario Party. A time where boys would bring a game over for some split-screen gaming fun.

Not saying it's better than what is available now. In fact, I have never played a video game online with other people. But the N64, for its time - and compared to the PS1 - was a righteous party machine. For pre-teens and teens, at least.

It was a great multi-player system, no doubt. I had a group of friends in junior high that would come over most afternoons and we'd rotate between Goldeneye, Mario Kart, WCW/NWO Revenge, Starfox, and maybe a few others.

I still have a console, but the only game I own for it is Sin and Punishment. Blast Corps is my other favorite game on the system but I have that on Rare Replay so I haven't bothered finding another N64 copy.

Leback

Stakes Winner

Yeah the split-screen gaming on the N64 are some of my best gaming memories. Golden Eye and Mario kart in particular. Haven't played it in a long while but seeing pictures of Mario 64 running on good upscalers (Ossc/framemeister) I think it has aged well for being a 3d game. I bet Rouge Squadron would play (and look) pretty good today also with the ram pack.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
The N64 is a good children's toy. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone over age 12.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I will agree it was great for multiplayer. I too have great memories of staying up all night with my buddies playing goldeneye, wcw revenge, smash bros, Mario kart , and even rampage. I was born in 91 so I was still very young at the time .

While the genesis and Super Nintendo will always be my favorite. The n64 is more about memories then actual use these days. I’ve got to find another hori controller to really enjoy the system again. The standard controller is an abomination.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
The N64 is a good children's toy. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone over age 12.

I have similar feelings with the first party games but then you have doom 64 which is fantastic and a game adults can enjoy!

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Doom 64 was pretty good tbh.

Most of the FPSs on the 64 have aged really badly though.
Perfect Dark was easily the best but even though looks awful now!

But I have great memories of playing Perfect Dark and Mario Kart in high school split screen 4 player.
WWF No Mercy was pretty awesome to!

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
It's worth having just for 4 or 5 games. Those games are that good/that important in videogame history. Mario64 and the Zelda releases are really all you need. Probably the most significant games of the time period, in hindsight particularly
I choose paper mario and turok.