WTF is up with PS3 controllers?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Motherfuckers are as hard to get as ivory.

Same with NOS PS2 controllers.

They only made 57 million thousand trillion.

Horse shit. The dudes that have 4 of every color on YT keeping people from playing games.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Yeah it is impossible to find legit ones. I bought one on ebay the other year and I'm pretty sure it is a boot even though the seller had good feedback. Used prices are high even at gamestop and they are probably boots as well. Sony apparently made no access stock of the things. When I first bought my PS4 the first thing I did is buy an extra controller.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
We had the same trouble with N64 controllers. Ended up just buying them for about $4 on Yahoo Japan Auctions a couple years ago. Also, boxed Mario Kart and games that should be super cheap and common like that.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Are you talking about NIB or just random used official PS3 controllers?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Both.

I called 5 shops and eventually resorted to a guy I knew and he had a legit one and had to take it off a trade in system and replace that with a shitty 3rd party one. It was like $40 with the charging cord.

Really wanted to play Silent Hill 2 tonight.

PS2 controllers seem to be even harder to find.

"you'll never notice the difference from a good 3rd party" is laughable.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Not to hijack the thread, but a friend of mine drew my attention to the lack of any original 6 button Genesis/megadrive controllers nowadays. Find one and the price is gouged to all hell. Terrible.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The black Super Pad 64 controller was better than the official controller.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I have four around and the batteries bad in almost all of them.
Maybe everybody threw them out.
Checked out some pages that take them apart and it looks like they are those acid put in a silver baggie type rechargeable batteries.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
PS3 controllers the batteries are going bad in them.

PS2 controllers hard to find any that are not crusty and worn out. Check Japanese sellers for better quality ones.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
PS3 controllers the batteries are going bad in them.

When I was in middle school, I was wicked into Super Scope games. When I went to summer camp for a week, upon return I found the batteries inside my SS leaked! It smelled like burnt iron. And of course it turns out there was a precaution to take the batteries out after playing. First and only time I had seen batteries going bad inside a device.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
When I was in middle school, I was wicked into Super Scope games. When I went to summer camp for a week, upon return I found the batteries inside my SS leaked! It smelled like burnt iron. And of course it turns out there was a precaution to take the batteries out after playing. First and only time I had seen batteries going bad inside a device.

Funny you mention that...

I brought a SS about 2 years ago to replace the one I sold as a dumb ass kid.
Anyways I got it at a excellent price with box etc off Amazon of all places.

When I went to put batteries in turns out it had some left in it and they had exploded in the worst way I have ever seen!
Couldnt even get them out.

I had to strip it down and gently pry them out before spending around 2 hours cleaning it all out.

But it works great again now :)

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Never used a third party controller i liked. I remember being burned with that third party n64 controller back in the day, the stubby piece of shit one.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
One of the bad things about the official PS3 pads is that depending when they were made they also varied greatly in quality. The one that came with the super slim system I picked up (brand new) feels like a shitty third party controller. The one I bought a few years before is a bit better, and the one that originally came with my first system felt the best before it got worn out. And none of them feel as good as a brand new Dualshock 2.

It's not just PS3 btw. Go look up Wii U controller prices on ebay. The prices for new official pro controllers is nuts.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
One of the bad things about the official PS3 pads is that depending when they were made they also varied greatly in quality. The one that came with the super slim system I picked up (brand new) feels like a shitty third party controller. The one I bought a few years before is a bit better, and the one that originally came with my first system felt the best before it got worn out. And none of them feel as good as a brand new Dualshock 2.

It's not just PS3 btw. Go look up Wii U controller prices on ebay. The prices for new official pro controllers is nuts.

I had to toss a couple once because the nubs on the analog sticks straight up started melting and sweating. Super weird. I bought a couple PSTVs back when they were dirt cheap and kept those PS3 controllers.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
I had to toss a couple once because the nubs on the analog sticks straight up started melting and sweating. Super weird. I bought a couple PSTVs back when they were dirt cheap and kept those PS3 controllers.

Sounds like what happened to a lot of my third party stuff with a "gel" lining, like the Hori Dragon Quest 8 Slime controller, ended up rubbing the hell out of it with alcohol and goo gone to get rid of the coating. Not exactly the same, but the great thing about the PS3 controllers is you can switch out the sticks pretty easily with third party ones, not so with PSone controllers sadly, the sticks were all made with pin shaped holes instead of the nubbier ones most modern controllers have