Left Alive (PS4) anyone buy this? I am curious about it

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
The reviews are god-awful, but it looks so cool. Anyone here have it? Is it just so niche that it's getting bad reviews?

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
=

I have no idea why I posted what I did. I'm glad lonesage didn't quote it.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
=

I have no idea why I posted what I did. I'm glad lonesage didn't quote it.

hahah I missed it - but I can imagine.

There's just those games that are kind of....niche garbage, but the right person really digs into them? I dunno...I'll just buy Devil May Cry 5 ad call it a day.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
hahah I missed it - but I can imagine.

There's just those games that are kind of....niche garbage, but the right person really digs into them? I dunno...I'll just buy Devil May Cry 5 ad call it a day.

I never got into those super-combo-hit-sponge games. I liked DMC1 initially but it got repetitive, then I never bothered. This applies to God of War and it's many copycats. Though I have a soft spot for the Splatterhouse remake, but most of that is due to it's writing and aesthetic over the gameplay.

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I never got into those super-combo-hit-sponge games. I liked DMC1 initially but it got repetitive, then I never bothered. This applies to God of War and it's many copycats. Though I have a soft spot for the Splatterhouse remake, but most of that is due to it's writing and aesthetic over the gameplay.

I have that Splatterhouse remake and started it, but my ADHD got in the way and I forgot about it. Need to revisit it.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I got it last week, mainly to see if it's really as bad as the reviews say it is. If you don't mind stealth with some wonkiness to it you might like it alright. I played maybe the first hour or 90 minutes or a couple nights ago and I'm pretty sure I like it enough to play all the way through.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I got it last week, mainly to see if it's really as bad as the reviews say it is. If you don't mind stealth with some wonkiness to it you might like it alright. I played maybe the first hour or 90 minutes or a couple nights ago and I'm pretty sure I like it enough to play all the way through.

I like the Front Mission universe...it can be super fucking dull but there is something I dig about it. I bet it's in the bargain bin soon enough.

I guess the stealth controls seem to be the major gripe - so what's the problem with them? Or the wonkiness?

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The first thing is that there's no takedown move, so your only choice is to sneak up behind a guy and then use whatever melee weapon you have on him like any other fight. Guys who don't detect you before you attack them are stunned for a minute and are generally easy to kill like that, but it's still not as clean as it ought to be, i.e. why isn't there an MGS or Hitman choke-out or neck snap or something?

Second is probably the inconsistent ability of enemies to detect you. Sometimes they're oblivious and you can sneak up at a 90 degree angle without them seeing you, sometimes they essentially see you through walls.

Most of the enemies are spread out enough that it's still playable, but in the few areas where they're clustered close together the game can be a pain if you're low on items/crafting materials.