MVS-1C garbled graphics, games wont load

evilsimon

n00b
Hi everyone, I'm brand new here. I am one of the lucky people who own a Analogue MVS console. Recently purchased from a friend, the console no longer works as far as it turns on, I get a RGB image but the image is very garbled. I dont get any audio and games dont load all the way. My NeoSD (recently acquired) also does not work, it boots up with a garbled screen then goes onto a full-screen of garbled mess which is entirely unreadable.

I thought I would be clever and clean the cart slot - which didnt help. I was still sure it was the cart slot (being that I have worked on many other cart-based consoles and am regularly modding various consoles in my spare time) so I bought a new cart slot from the Neo shop, desoldered the hundreds of pins just to find exactly the same problem. Joy.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me, do I need to provide some screen shots ?

thanks very much for any assistance, I would love to get this baby going again. The ex-owner said it worked last time he used it, many years ago.

Using a good 5v 3amp power supply. Genuine SCART cable from Analogue and a broadcast quality CRT. Have tried different power supplies, no difference. Have tried various genuine games + 161-in-one + NeoSD, all the same.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
This would probably be a better fit in the Neo Geo Tech Support section instead of the General Tech Support Section.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Post screen shots. Sounds like the bios got loose.

evilsimon

n00b
with 161-in-one cart inserted (cart does work fine in another neo-geo I now own)
neo1.png

with no cart inside the analogue mvs console
neo2.png

I have tried to reseat the 40pin DIP on the NEOBiosMasta - all pins seem inserted fine. The chip below that, square in shape, is covered by the NEOBiosMasta casing - and the whole thing has tons of hot glue all around it :( I can use a hair dryer to loosen it and re-seat it if you still think it could be the BIOS, Xian Xi.

Thanks for the advice, I'd like to get this unit going (if not I now have a spare MV1C mainboard which I can transplant into the Analogue MVS). This damaged unit has troubled me greatly so I believe I will be selling it and keeping my other consolized MVS in plastic shell. I need to recoup some of my costs. Sux to let the analogue go, but all I really want is a functional MVS, dont need a fancy one.

evilsimon

n00b
clarkindustry, thanks for the reply. I assume you are talking about the neobiosmasta, eg this one (mine looks the same as this picture)
masta.PNG

Its not soldered on there, merely held on there with hot glue. So I will try and remove this from the mainboard, clean all the terminals and re-seat it.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
NO. I believe he is referring to the NEO-GRZ chip. It's surface mounted and has two hundred forty legs.
BB

evilsimon

n00b
NEO-GRZ chip

Thanks Big Bear. I have another MV-1C board I have purchased so it might be easier for me to remove the biosmasta, move that to the working mainboard and then desolder all the TDA and other caps to match it with the broken analogue mvs board.

I have many years soldering experience but I'd prefer to just get the wooden analogue mvs working at this point, by replacing the whole pcb. Thanks to everyone for your comments and assistance.

On a side note - I have a consolized MVS MV-1C from aliexpress which gives me a Z80 error if I boot to the diagnostic screen. I can press A to skip the error and the MVS works just fine, sound also works fine..

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Thanks Big Bear. I have another MV-1C board I have purchased so it might be easier for me to remove the biosmasta, move that to the working mainboard and then desolder all the TDA and other caps to match it with the broken analogue mvs board.

I have many years soldering experience but I'd prefer to just get the wooden analogue mvs working at this point, by replacing the whole pcb. Thanks to everyone for your comments and assistance.

On a side note - I have a consolized MVS MV-1C from aliexpress which gives me a Z80 error if I boot to the diagnostic screen. I can press A to skip the error and the MVS works just fine, sound also works fine..

MV1C doesn't have an SM1 ROM, so it will fail Z80 diagnostics. That said, if you have the M1 diag ROM on a cart, you should be able to test that way with the SMK Dan diagnostic BIOS. Unibios would likely also give a Z80 error on a 1C if hardware test is enabled I think. So that board sounds OK.

evilsimon

n00b
Unibios would likely also give a Z80 error on a 1C if hardware test is enabled I think. So that board sounds OK.

thankyou im happy with that :)

EDIT:
the replacement MV-1C board works inside the Analogue MVS wooden console now. however the 1P coin button does not give me credits :( I guess its a wiring issue between the controller port and the mainboard, but it all looks OK on the jamma port.. P2 coin button works. At least the console works now! I notice some minor sync issues, with light horizontal waves across the screen, using the SCART cable supplied with the console on a JVC CRT.. wierd.

Last edited: