Gameboy Advance

senan90

n00b
Hi y'all, anyone here recommend getting a GBA? I heard the original DS is just as good. Which one do you prefer? Thanks :)

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
There's the backlit modded ones which feel better to me than an AGS-101 does. DS are pretty good substitutes as well, I used one with a GBAED for a solid year with no issues.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The original DS can also play DS games. no GBA can do that.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I'd recommend getting a DS lite, what ever the last model is which had the GBA slot...

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Game Boy micro has the best screen but it's small and doesn't play GB or GBC games
the basic GBA has the best ergonomics but the screen is not visible to human eyes
The OG SP has a good response time screen but it's frontlit so the colors are very washed out
The SP mk II has a backlit screen and very saturated colors, but the trade off is noticeable ghosting in some games

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
An original GBA modded with a backlit screen is the way to go IMO. Best ergonomics and best screen quality (the mod basically consists on replacing the horrible stock screen with a backlit SP replacement).
It's easy to install and both original GBAs and the backlit replacement are quite cheap.

The DS Lite is also a good option in terms of screen quality, but I find the original GBA much more comfortable to hold.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I used different GBAs depending on my mood.

Modded original is the best all around.

SP2 is my favorite system to take on the go due to the excellent screen and clamshell design.

I like playing RPGs on the DS Lite. It has the best screen, but I'm not a fan of the buttons for action games. That said, the DS Lite is probably the best handheld ever when you add in the DS game library.

Revo K101 clone is the most comfortable system with a decent sized dpad and buttons, but the screen isn't quite the right resolution so text looks a little off. I love using it with action games.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I also mostly use one of my two DS Lites to play GBA games these days, so, I agree that it's a great choice. My GBA SP pretty much collects dust ever since I got those.