Konami 50th Anniversary Collection

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
Pretty boss, too bad they'll muck it up by not including the Game Boy games probably. Probably won't include the MSX original either.

It ought to include Rebirth also, since there's no (legitimate) way of obtaining that game any more.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Looks like 3 separate entries (Contra, Castlevania, Arcade), 8 games each, $20 per title and digital only.

Bleh

-SD-

Camel Slug
Arcade Classics: Haunted Castle, Typhoon (A-JAX), NEMESIS (Gradius), Vulcan Venture (Gradius II), Life Force (Salamander), THUNDER CROSS, Scramble, TwinBee

Castlevania Anniversary Collection: Castlevania, Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge (the Gameboy one), Super Castlevania IV

Contra Anniversary Collection: Contra, Super Contra, Super C, Contra III: The Alien Wars

Arcade Classics will be up on the eShop for $19.99 on April 18th...

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Arcade Classics: Haunted Castle, Typhoon (A-JAX), NEMESIS (Gradius), Vulcan Venture (Gradius II), Life Force (Salamander), THUNDER CROSS, Scramble, TwinBee

Castlevania Anniversary Collection: Castlevania, Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge (the Gameboy one), Super Castlevania IV

Contra Anniversary Collection: Contra, Super Contra, Super C, Contra III: The Alien Wars

Arcade Classics will be up on the eShop for $19.99 on April 18th...
Yet again,konami ignores having castlevania bloodlines and contra hardcorps in a collection.Are they really that ashame of there genesis/megadrive effots for said console :hammer:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Fucking Konami. Can't even get a goddamn collection of games done right. Cocksuckers.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
There are still 4 unannounced titles in each collection.

Hoping for bloodlines and the rebirth games from wiiware. The arcade contra's are a waste of space. Otherwise I'm happy with the picks so far and glad they are multiplatform this time.

Last edited:

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
At least there is hope for the Igavanias to show up.

Leback

Stakes Winner

Hoping for bloodlines and the rebirth games from wiiware. The arcade contra's are a waste of space. Otherwise I'm happy with the picks so far and glad they are multiplatform this time.

Yeah there are still 4 games unannounced in each collection. Hopefully the Mega drive/Genesis games are included...

Yoshi

20 Year Member

Agreed on all accounts. Simon's Quest is also conspicuous by its absence. If I were to pick the "final four," it would be Rondo, Bloodlines, Rebirth, and Simon's Quest. A mostly-Igarashi-free Castlevania collection is a happy Castlevania collection.

Contra is trickier, but Hard Corps and Rebirth would still be on my list, along with maybe the PS2 games?

edit: I'm bummed there is not a full Gradius and relatives collection alongside these. Xexex for example could use a port that isn't portable and a Japanese exclusive.

Last edited:

Tron

Test
15 Year Member

I was looking again at the site and yes hope bloodlines and hardcorps make it.Though,neither game ever came to the virtual console so konami will probably forget they made those game.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Fucking Konami. Can't even get a goddamn collection of games done right. Cocksuckers.

I think I'm pissed because why the hell limit the collection to some arbitrary number like 8? Why not go the whole nine yards and make a definitive collection with every release from the series, good and bad? Yeah yeah everyone has already played the easily available games a thousand times, why not include the more obscure ones already that haven't gotten a port or remake, like SNES Castlevania X or Operation C?

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I agree there, and hope this opens the door for more collections in the future (the metroidvania's deserve to be be available too imo, especially the Sorrow games). If not, there is always emulation, I guess.

Are the Rebirth games actually any good?

PS: I still prefer this castlevania collection to be igavania-free btw. Would rather have them in a seperate collection if they opt to re-release them.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Are the Rebirth games actually any good?

Never got Gradius Rebirth but regret that. I think it didn't do well with reviewers but Gradius fans liked it iirc.

Contra Rebirth, I dunno, it didn't really gel with me. There's a level with llamas or alpacas or something, but the only other thing I can remember is the nod to Contra Force with the character selection music. While I loved the absurdity of Neo Contra, the humor in Rebirth felt way out of place. Also, I never felt any weight behind the weapons, if that makes any sense.

Castlevania Rebirth was great, though. I really enjoy the callbacks to the Game Boy Castlevanias, and their choice of including the the x68000 Castlevania's loading music for one of the stages was brilliant. I think the only thing that really irritated me was inexplicably including some kind of sound effect when you kill monsters that sounds like it came from an old Bugs Bunny cartoon. It sounds weird to critique a game for a sound effect but if you've played the game you'll know it sounds like it doesn't belong there.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
PS: I still prefer this castlevania collection to be igavania-free btw.
God bless you, although I would alter that slightly, since he had more minor involvement with the Dracula X games. Just keep the ones he produced or directed quarantined.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Full Castlevania lineup:

• Castlevania (1987, NES)
  • Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest (1988, NES)
  • Castlevania: The Adventure (1989, Game Boy)
  • Castlevania III: Dracula’s Curse (1990, NES)
  • Kid Dracula (1990, Game Boy)
  • Castlevania II: Belmont’s Revenge (1991, Game Boy)
  • Super Castlevania IV (1991, SNES)
  • Castlevania Bloodlines (1994, Genesis)

They sure did Konami up those last four by leaving Rondo out, though I think that makes it even more likely we'll see a follow-up collection.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Full Castlevania lineup:

• Castlevania (1987, NES)
  • Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest (1988, NES)
  • Castlevania: The Adventure (1989, Game Boy)
  • Castlevania III: Dracula’s Curse (1990, NES)
  • Kid Dracula (1990, Game Boy)
  • Castlevania II: Belmont’s Revenge (1991, Game Boy)
  • Super Castlevania IV (1991, SNES)
  • Castlevania Bloodlines (1994, Genesis)

They sure did Konami up those last four by leaving Rondo out, though I think that makes it even more likely we'll see a follow-up collection.

Did...did Konami just make Kid Dracula canon in the Castlevania series

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Hopefully there will be an option to switch to the Famicom version. I love that game.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Did...did Konami just make Kid Dracula canon in the Castlevania series

lol That's how I took its inclusion as well. I know Rhondo and Symphony were likely left out due to the digital bundle release those 2 games just received, but to see Kid Dracula here is an odd inclusion. In contrast, Poor Sonia Belmont and her Castlevania Legends outing will never have a path to redemption now :lolz:. Legends is not a good castlevania, but I would have liked to see it included just from a preservation standpoint. Then again, I was hoping (but knew Konami would never do it) for every single castlevania game to be included in one mega collection but oh well.

Last edited: