Wait, that "S" looks familiar

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Ok, maybe this doesn't belong in general, EDIT : I am not grasping for straws. It is very clear, it's the same S.

SNKAVP.png

snklogo.jpg

Surely this is a coincidence? I know you're never supposed to acknowledge the competition...

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
My Saner sense is tingling...

Go vote in her threads/click on her links if your senses are burning for her then.

This thread is about solving mysteries.

Elite neo sleuths only, please.

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Isn't the font used in the SNK logo pretty much just modified from the "Hanzel Extended" font? I could be mistaken, but the style of the "S" in "SNK" is also used in a few other fonts as well.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Isn't the font used in the SNK logo pretty much just modified from the Hanzel Extended font? I could be mistaken, but the style of the "S" in "SNK" is used in a few other fonts as well.

This is really the answer I was expecting

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Yeah anything is definitely possible. The background artists at capcom could have gone with any other font/design in this case yet they chose this one.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Nope. Avp S has cuts/ angles vs the curve and don’t give me the pixel art limitations of a curve bullshit as the other S in the avp screenshot clearly is curved.

Not the same shit, fuck off

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The love-hate relation between SNK & Capcom was far better, than anything SEGA vs. Big N ever offered. Sometimes it was as subtle as the scrapping of the Double-Decker Bus in Hong Kong from MS2, which spoofed the LS400 bonus stage from SFII, sometimes it was as nuts, as the release of the CPS Changer, which successfully prevented the Neo-Geo from being the only arcade home console in history.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
The love-hate relation between SNK & Capcom was far better, than anything SEGA vs. Big N ever offered. Sometimes it was as subtle as the scrapping of the Double-Decker Bus in Hong Kong from MS2, which spoofed the LS400 bonus stage from SFII, sometimes it was as nuts, as the release of the CPS Changer, which successfully prevented the Neo-Geo from being the only arcade home console in history.

Just been reading up on the CPS Changer, hadn't heard of it. Interesting read - thanks.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Same here, I’d never heard of it either. I’d love to have one after reading about it but they look crazy expensive

Kid Fenris

Rugal's Thug
10 Year Member
Any thread that involves obsessively examining Alien vs. Predator is fine with me.

Just been reading up on the CPS Changer, hadn't heard of it. Interesting read - thanks.

Imagine a future where that thing took off and turned into the Neo Geo AES equivalent of CPS and CPS-2 hardware. People would be paying insane sums today for the only official home versions of AVP and Cadillacs and Dinosaurs.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
There's definitely a certain level of autism needed to even notice something that minute, and then equate the two in such a way.

I'm truly impressed.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Isn't the font used in the SNK logo pretty much just modified from the "Hanzel Extended" font? I could be mistaken, but the style of the "S" in "SNK" is also used in a few other fonts as well.

I doubt it. Hanzel Extended is a ghetto, user-created web font, not a professional typeface created by a foundry. It wouldn't have been around in the '80s or even most of the '90s.

Nope. Avp S has cuts/ angles vs the curve and don’t give me the pixel art limitations of a curve bullshit as the other S in the avp screenshot clearly is curved.

Not the same shit, fuck off

They wouldn't have just dropped a font file in their game development software and been able to plop it into a background sprite. They would've had to recreate it pixel by pixel. Someone could've easily been taking a shortcut when drawing those curves.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I doubt it. Hanzel Extended is a ghetto, user-created web font, not a professional typeface created by a foundry. It wouldn't have been around in the '80s or even most of the '90s.

They wouldn't have just dropped a font file in their game development software and been able to plop it into a background sprite. They would've had to recreate it pixel by pixel. Someone could've easily been taking a shortcut when drawing those curves.

Whats up fakeXsound! Noted on that particular variation of hanzel; though the hanzel typeface itself is a lot older than the extended variation. To your point though, the SNK “S” itself isn’t an exact match to extended since it appears to have been modified even beyond the weight found in the bold variation of hanzel.

Agreed on your second point. Which is why the choice seems to be pretty deliberate considering the background artist could have based the imagery on any other existing typeface or font. I’m not saying it’s a shout-out to SNK, I’m just saying that anything is possible considering the choice.

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Whats up fakeXsound! Noted; though the hanzel font family itself is a lot older than the extended variation. The SNK “S” itself isn’t an exact match to “extended” since it appears to have been modified even beyond even the weight found in the bold variation of the font.

Agreed on your second point. Which is why the choice seems to be pretty deliberate considering the background artist could have based the imagery on any other existing font/design. I’m not saying it’s a shout out to SNK, I’m just saying that anything is possible considering the choice.

Yeah, to be fair, brand will take an existing font's vectors and change them up a bit, so that's always a possibility.

And yeah, I agree. Even if it's not exact, it seems deliberate.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide

You're welcome SnK. A couple years back I didn't know anything about it myself, the idea seemed pure nonsense, but it did make me wonder: why? Well, be it as it may, I recently watched the last Kingsman movie and certain piece of conversation did ring a familiar bell, all I'm gonna say is... what happens at Glasto, stays at Glasto ;).

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member

Way to ruin the conspiracy theory, font-fag!

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Way to ruin the conspiracy theory, font-fag!

lol Relax :-J Your theories are safe since we haven’t solved anything here. This is all just speculation and observation on our part since none of us worked at capcom circa 1994.

ASID just happens to be eagle-eyed AF and his post didn’t look like the usual funstering.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
ASID... his post didn’t look like the usual funstering.

That's the beauty of it, his posts do and do not at the same time. You can choose either and still be in the right about them. Once you achieve such an unblemished balance within your posts, death and life become the same: a dream within a dream. Hmm... it is sometimes wise to be abstract.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
is the screenshot using some MAME filter correct? it would be interesting to see how the real thing looks on a CRT...probably rounder edges?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I think there was an arcade machine version of the SNES, if that counts. And the Dreamcast was virtually the same games and hardware as the arcade. I guess what made the Neo Geo and CPS Changer unique was that they were the exact same hardware as the arcade. But did the games on the Changer have home game features, like AES games had (adjustable difficulty setting, limited credits, etc)?

The CPS Changer was quite rare, as far as I can tell- does anyone on ng.com actually own one?

Last edited: