Best version of Street Fighter 1?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Pneumatic pads, or 6 buttons....

*FIGHT!*

(ive never actually seen/played a pneumatic one in my entire life)

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I've heard that the record holder for the pneumatic version used his penis instead of his fists.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Pneumatic pads, or 6 buttons....

*FIGHT!*

(ive never actually seen/played a pneumatic one in my entire life)
6 button version would be better, as you're sure of which strength of punch or kick you're going to get when you hit the button. 6 buttons became the standard for it.
But I think the MVS 4 button system is better in some ways, as you can have a finger hovering over each button at all times (as humans only have five fingers, not six).

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
The day has come where joe8 in a long line of koala and human sexual activity has produced knowledge.

Gog

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I did see a couple of original Street Fighters back in the day, my local arcade even had one for a while. This was after the Street Fighter 2 boom of course, I don’t remember seeing one before that. Both the ones I came across has the six button layout.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the pressure sensitive button cabs were replaced with the six button variety pretty sharpish owing to the destruction of hands and control panels. I imagine trying to get a medium punch or kick out of one them must have been awkward.

To answer OP’s question, I’ve never played any ports of the original, but I imagine the good ol’ Speccy had the best one. Probably.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
The pneumatic buttons were a nightmare to work on and keep in working order. Basically it was a rubberized pad over a plastic plunger hooked up to a hose which fed directly into the PCB. The air pressure registered three strengths of attack. Not only were the hoses themselves an issue, people pounded away on the pads and wore them out fast. They would even try and use rubber mallets like some whack-a-mole game and go to town. Needless to say skill was not an issue playing more than who can smack the buttons the hardest.

On top of that, though it was a Capcom game, it was Atari Games that made the U.S. cabinets so not only were we were dealing with pneumatic controls, it also had those distinctive Gauntlet style joysticks which made performing even the most basic attacks a nightmare. Most did them by sheer accident, not having a clue on how they did it. We cheered the day the six button controls were replacing the pads and air hoses and then when the SF2 kit came out, we converted the game over to that, along with the joysticks which we used as back-ups for our Gauntlet II.
ng10.png

ng10a.png

Gog

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Excellent info Arcademan. That’s the most in-depth explanation I’ve ever heard about how they actually work. Thank you for sharing.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Avoid like the plague unless you want some engrish :rolleyes:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Sf1 was not super popular but also not uncommon. You'd find them in big arcades and they got a decent amount of play time because of the gimmicky buttons. I had only known it this way until we went to Cedar Point Amusement park and I spotted the six button layout for the first time. It made more sense and when sf2 was eventually released it all came together.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
SF1 was very popular at my local arcade with the punch pads. People who say it sucks, obviously sucked at it. Once you got the hang of doing the moves, it was pretty competitive.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Could you imagine playing all versions of Street Fighter 2 with the punch pads? That would be a challenge :tickled:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I used to play SF2 on a TurboExpress, it can't be much worse.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Could you imagine playing all versions of Street Fighter 2 with the punch pads? That would be a challenge :tickled:

I told my brother decades ago that if I found a dedicated SF1 cab with the punch pads that I would try to find a way to get Marvel vs Capcom to work.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Fighting Street on the Turbo CD/PC Engine is not a very goof port. The moves are impossible to do. It's better to play the original arcade game on one of the collections like Capcom Classics Volume 2 for PS2.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
To quote the AVGN: "Shoryuken? More like Shoryucan't."

I'd always hoped that at the very least someone would hack the ROM to make the special moves reliably doable and balance the damage. Not gonna hold my breath though.

Anyways, I remember playing it at the local Scandia after SF2 became a huge sensation. They got it only because of SF2 fever, and it was just a weird experience. It was the 6-button version, and did nothing but confuse all the other kids on why it played like crap.

It was the only time I've ever seen one in-person at any arcade in Vegas. Never saw the one with the pneumatic buttons, though I've always been curious to play it with those just to see what it's like.

Also, kudos Arcademan for that awesome technical info.