MV-1B constantly resetting, won't get past radio screen

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
I got an MV-1 (not 1B, title is a typo) to repair but I haven't actually come across this issue before. It boots up to the green garbled graphic, goes black and boots up again, repeating indefinitely.

Anyone know a good place to start? I inspected traces and looked for leaking battery acid or other damage but didn't find anything. The board looks really clean. I used the exact same supergun on another MV-1 so I know the power supply isn't the issue. I also get a steady 5 volts.

Last edited:

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
I got an MV-1 (not 1B) to repair but I haven't actually come across this issue before. It boots up to the green garbled graphic, goes black and boots up again, repeating indefinitely.

Anyone know a good place to start? I inspected traces and looked for leaking battery acid or other damage but didn't find anything. The board looks really clean. I used the exact same supergun on another MV-1 so I know the power supply isn't the issue. I also get a steady 5 volts.

Remove the Neo-Buf next to the DIP switches first - see if it boots into the work ram test (without rebooting itself). If it does, it's likely that Neo-Buf chip. There's another one on the riser board too, I suspect it will also boot without that too, but might not boot carts without it. I am not 100% certain what the one on the riser board is for, so I would test without the one nearest the DIP switches first. Chances are you have an intermittant neo-buf that is outputting when it shouldn't. But, it could be many other things on there causing it too.

EDIT: I've done a couple of YouTube videos on the MV1B recently, yesterday the SMD to DIP adapter, and prior that a repair where it was the neo-buf chip.

Last edited:

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
Hey, thanks for the reply. I think you might have missed my edit, this problem is actually on a MV-1 not MV-1B. I made a typo when creating the thread title which I can't edit, only the original post content.
I imagine the repair process would be pretty similar though, no?
Would something like the NEO-IO chip have a similar function?

Last edited:

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
It could be caused by a lot of different things. Have you tried SMK Dan Diagnostic BIOS yet?

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
Have you tried SMK Dan Diagnostic BIOS yet?

Wow, I had no idea there was such a thing! Really cool stuff, it looks like it detects errors before the watchdog kicks in and other stuff. I've always just used a Uni-Bios to troubleshoot but that of course is worthless when it comes to watchdog repairs.

I'm gonna get one of those bad boys and report back with the results